Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

Well said Dev :  best contribution of the day.
And congratulations to Kilwinning, for setting an example. It hasn't been clear (to me) whether the SLL applications "window" is temporarily on hold, pending the meeting on the 23rd ?  Keep moving on.
No, the LL-WOSFL plan is proceeding as planned meantime.

2 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

Would it be appropriate for the SJFA to release some of their reported £500,000 reserve to cover players wages during the current Coronavirus emergency?

Wonderful opportunity for TJ to show some real leadership at a very difficult time for clubs during a growing emergency . Would also ensure that a large pot is not left when clubs migrate to the WOSFL.

Time for TJ to make a statement on this issue.

While on the face of it it seems like a good idea I doubt Tom Johnston has the authority to do that, it would probably require a meeting of the SJFA committee or an EGM to do that.

26 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

By the sounds of things there won't be a difference in the main cups. It might be perceived that way by the Juniors, but it cannot work that way in practice.

• Scottish Cup based on this year will have 10 Saturdays booked into the calendar.
  • South Challenge Cup with an increase of 63+ clubs into the competition will have 8 Saturdays booked into the calendar.

Then the leagues will have to take priority as well.

The Junior Cup is then competing for the same sort of space taken up by the Qualifying Cup, Southern Counties Cup elsewhere.

Unless the junior WOSFL teams don’t compete in the South Challenge Cup.

24 minutes ago, glensmad said:
1 hour ago, Robert James said:
Well said Dev :  best contribution of the day.
And congratulations to Kilwinning, for setting an example. It hasn't been clear (to me) whether the SLL applications "window" is temporarily on hold, pending the meeting on the 23rd ?  Keep moving on.

No, the LL-WOSFL plan is proceeding as planned meantime.

Good news...... thanks.

Just now, the rambler said:

Hopefully those that are actually involved in the process continue to make progress. 

The nay sayers on here that aren't happy because it looks like they won't get exactly what they want are now boring the arse off me. 

The feelings mutual mate 👍

32 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

Would it be appropriate for the SJFA to release some of their reported £500,000 reserve to cover players wages during the current Coronavirus emergency?

Wonderful opportunity for TJ to show some real leadership at a very difficult time for clubs during a growing emergency . Would also ensure that a large pot is not left when clubs migrate to the WOSFL.

Time for TJ to make a statement on this issue.

That's money that's in an Investment Bond so there will be rules on how much can be taken out in one go and avoid paying tax on it.

EDIT : There's 133 Junior clubs as well - while the money would be welcome, how much would £1K last for a Premiership club.....you're talking days more than weeks.

Edited by theesel1994

1 minute ago, lowenan said:

Unless the junior WOSFL teams don’t compete in the South Challenge Cup.

Going by their own declaration it's considered a choice to continue participating in the Junior Cup. And from the meeting it was referred to as being no different to the Qualifying Cup etc. 

I'm sure the pyramid leagues will make the South Challenge Cup mandatory for WOSFL clubs. 

33 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

While on the face of it it seems like a good idea I doubt Tom Johnston has the authority to do that, it would probably require a meeting of the SJFA committee or an EGM to do that.

I would have thought that TJ would be taking whatever steps are necessary to help clubs out during the Coronavirus emergency through the Executive or an EGM.

Personally I would like to see a Coronavirus grant of £3,000 per club if the season now has to be aborted.

Is that figure realistic or not? This is the time in which TJ can put the interests of clubs at the forefront.

Edited by Pyramidic

42 minutes ago, Robert James said:

The Lowland League's Statement 5, doesn't refer to "suggestions", or " agreement", or "compromise".  It did however state :

Following talks at yesterday's PWG meeting............some "common ground" was found to enable the talks to continue on Monday 23rd March." We hope these talks will be equally productive, and look forward to updating everyone at their conclusion."      (13th March 2020).

Common ground ?

Common Ground to me is, we’ve found something we both agree on. We’ll now see on the 23rd if can find more stuff we can agree on.

3 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

I would have thought that TJ would be taking whatever steps are necessary to help clubs out during the Coronavirus emergency through the Executive or an EGM.

Personally I would like to see a Coronavirus grant of £5,000 per club if the season now has to be aborted.

Is that figure realistic or not? This is the time in which TJ can put the interests of clubs at the forefront.

500,000 divided by 5,000 = 100 clubs. How many clubs are there? And have they any other reserves or is the 500,000 it?

Edited by Jacksgranda

2 minutes ago, theesel1994 said:

Are the other two Regions going to agree to the Scottish Junior Cup being fitted in around a Senior League as that's the only way the current West Region clubs will be able to participate.

I wouldn't think so, but the WOSFL is going to be a place for all West of Scotland clubs. Not just juniors.  So the WOSFL will presumably be added to the South Challenge Cup committee. To do that everyone in the WOSFL should be competing on it.

5 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

500,000 divided by 5,000 = 100 clubs. HoW many clubs are there? And have they any other reserves or is the 500,000 it?

With 133 clubs I suggest the Coronavirus grant would be around £3,000 per club leaving the remainder in reserve.

Edited by Pyramidic

7 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Every single ex-Junior club in the east had to resign from the SJFA. There wasn't an issue in doing so.

Allowing members of the WoSFL to retain membership of another national assotiation other than the SFA is a recipe for problems further down the line, and isn't a truly independent league.

Currently we have members in LL and EoS leagues with membership to other associations. This hasn’t posed any issues or brought into question the independence of those leagues. What your describing is an issue for the juniors and the juniors alone. If clubs have to resign from the SJFA, that is because the SJFA have told them to. Not the LL, EoSL or SoSL. What’s went on in the east has been pretty shameful and the behaviour towards clubs wanting to join the EoS league has been truly abysmal. The SJFA need to decide whether clubs can join this new league and still be members. If they do, they need build some bridges with their former members in the east. If they don’t I think arguments about the merits of SJFA cup will become a redundant one very quickly.

5 minutes ago, Jerry Macguire said:

Currently we have members in LL and EoS leagues with membership to other associations. This hasn’t posed any issues or brought into question the independence of those leagues. What your describing is an issue for the juniors and the juniors alone. If clubs have to resign from the SJFA, that is because the SJFA have told them to. Not the LL, EoSL or SoSL. What’s went on in the east has been pretty shameful and the behaviour towards clubs wanting to join the EoS league has been truly abysmal. The SJFA need to decide whether clubs can join this new league and still be members. If they do, they need build some bridges with their former members in the east. If they don’t I think arguments about the merits of SJFA cup will become a redundant one very quickly.

Because none of those small regional Associations are national Associations who see themselves as outside the sphere of influence of the SFA, or who consider the LL / EoS / Pyramid as a rival and a threat, to bad mouth and belittle.  Bringing them into the Pyramid is bringing in unwanted baggage.