Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

10 hours ago, Jerry Macguire said:

Forgive me if I’m over simplifying here. The WoSFL is seeking applications, if following Thursdays meeting clubs think this the best option for them, they apply. If not the don’t. The LL, EoS, SoS leagues don’t require or demand they resign from the SJFA Before they can apply. Therefore what is the issue?

Every single ex-Junior club in the east had to resign from the SJFA. There wasn't an issue in doing so.

Allowing members of the WoSFL to retain membership of another national assotiation other than the SFA is a recipe for problems further down the line, and isn't a truly independent league.

32 minutes ago, Doonhamer1969 said:

Lesson of the week.

Do not in any circumstances ignore this forum for a day or 3.

You suddenly find yourself 40 pages behind.

10 down, 30 to go......

No football, no major events. What more is there to do except for some mud-throwing on this thread? 🤔

24 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

This all sounds very like negotiations between the DUP and Sinn Fein, imho. 

To be fair, after years of stalemate they finally came to an agreement, so maybe that's the case here as well and that agreement is finally on the horizon.

1 minute ago, Marten said:

To be fair, after years of stalemate they finally came to an agreement, so maybe that's the case here as well and that agreement is finally on the horizon.

It was more the words being bandied about - one side's talking about "suggestions" the other side's talking about "agreement".

1 hour ago, Marten said:

In Northern Ireland, an agreement was essential.

No agreement is necessary here. If talks fail, those clubs joining the WOSFL will go their way, and any others will still be Junior, just like in the East. Simples.

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

This all sounds very like negotiations between the DUP and Sinn Fein, imho. 

2 hours ago, Jerry Macguire said:

The fact we’re still talking blows your suggestion out the water. No pun intended. 

1 hour ago, Marten said:

11 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

In Northern Ireland, an agreement was essential.

No agreement is necessary here. If talks fail, those clubs joining the WOSFL will go their way, and any others will still be Junior, just like in the East. Simples.

Some people seem to have got out of the serious side of the bed today.

Maybe I'm being overly pessimistic, but reading the last few pages I find the phrase "give them an inch and they'll take a mile" buzzing around my head. I don't like that last WRJFA statement at all. They think they've won, not compromised. I do hope I'm wrong.
It's puzzled me as well. They are claiming it as victory and presenting like they got everything they wanted.

12 minutes ago, energyzone said:
2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:
Maybe I'm being overly pessimistic, but reading the last few pages I find the phrase "give them an inch and they'll take a mile" buzzing around my head. I don't like that last WRJFA statement at all. They think they've won, not compromised. I do hope I'm wrong.

It's puzzled me as well. They are claiming it as victory and presenting like they got everything they wanted.

If you visit the USA or even elsewhere in the UK you will find the same language/words in use but they have a different meaning. You don't have to travel very far in football here to find the same thing!

I think that it would be very wise for all clubs which genuinely intend to switch away from the SJFA to the new WoS run by the Lowland League to put in their applications straight away. Kilwinning has set out its' stall and others need to follow. 

This would strengthen the Lowland League's negotiating position and weaken that of the SJFA (alias WRJFA).

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

The best negotiators get what they want and leave the other side thinking they won. 

6 minutes ago, Dev said:

This would strengthen the Lowland League's negotiating position and weaken that of the SJFA (alias WRJFA).

I think the WR have accepted there can only be one feeder League and despite what they said going round club meetings it won't be decided at the SFA AGM in June. So if any club wants the Pyramid access required for an SFA Licence they should be getting the application filled out just in case talks break down on 23rd March. At the moment both sides appear optimistic.

2 hours ago, Dev said:

If you visit the USA or even elsewhere in the UK you will find the same language/words in use but they have a different meaning. You don't have to travel very far in football here to find the same thing!

I think that it would be very wise for all clubs which genuinely intend to switch away from the SJFA to the new WoS run by the Lowland League to put in their applications straight away. Kilwinning has set out its' stall and others need to follow. 

Well said Dev :  best contribution of the day.

And congratulations to Kilwinning, for setting an example. It hasn't been clear (to me) whether the SLL applications "window" is temporarily on hold, pending the meeting on the 23rd ?  Keep moving on.

A compromise can often be a good thing, but if it ends up with a less united non-league going forward, different main cups for different teams at the same level, and future problems down the road, that can’t be a good thing. Hopefully whatever agreement is reached, all teams that join the pyramid will be fully integrated. 

A compromise can often be a good thing, but if it ends up with a less united non-league going forward, different main cups for different teams at the same level, and future problems down the road, that can’t be a good thing. Hopefully whatever agreement is reached, all teams that join the pyramid will be fully integrated. 

You can’t surely end up with a ‘less united non-league’ than we currently have

5 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

It was more the words being bandied about - one side's talking about "suggestions" the other side's talking about "agreement".

1 minute ago, lowenan said:

The Lowland League's Statement 5, doesn't refer to "suggestions", or " agreement", or "compromise".  It did however state :

Following talks at yesterday's PWG meeting............some "common ground" was found to enable the talks to continue on Monday 23rd March." We hope these talks will be equally productive, and look forward to updating everyone at their conclusion."      (13th March 2020).

Common ground ?

3 minutes ago, Robert James said:

The Lowland League's Statement 5, doesn't refer to "suggestions", or " agreement", or "compromise".  It did however state :

Maybe not, but posts on here did.

11 minutes ago, lowenan said:

By the sounds of things there won't be a difference in the main cups. It might be perceived that way by the Juniors, but it cannot work that way in practice.

• Scottish Cup based on this year will have 10 Saturdays booked into the calendar.
  • South Challenge Cup with an increase of 63+ clubs into the competition will have 8 Saturdays booked into the calendar.

Then the leagues will have to take priority as well.

The Junior Cup is then competing for the same sort of space taken up by the Qualifying Cup, Southern Counties Cup elsewhere.

Would it be appropriate for the SJFA to release some of their reported £500,000 reserve to cover players wages during the current Coronavirus emergency?

Wonderful opportunity for TJ to show some real leadership at a very difficult time for clubs during a growing emergency . Would also ensure that a large pot is not left when clubs migrate to the WOSFL.

Time for TJ to make a statement on this issue.