Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

37 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

But the second point would need a change in the constitution, which no one has the power to agree. It would need a majority vote at a GM.

Forgive me if I’m over simplifying here. The WoSFL is seeking applications, if following Thursdays meeting clubs think this the best option for them, they apply. If not the don’t. The LL, EoS, SoS leagues don’t require or demand they resign from the SJFA Before they can apply. Therefore what is the issue?

4 minutes ago, Jerry Macguire said:

Forgive me if I’m over simplifying here. The WoSFL is seeking applications, if following Thursdays meeting clubs think this the best option for them, they apply. If not the don’t. The LL, EoS, SoS leagues don’t require or demand they resign from the SJFA Before they can apply. Therefore what is the issue?

Agreed, there is no issue with them applying for and joining the new league.

The issue arises if they want to keep SJFL membership and/or play in the Junior Cup, which some people seem to think is important. It was suggested that this was part of the "compromise". I was merely pointing out that so far as I can see no-one on the Junior side has the power to agree to that.

8 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

The issue arises if they want to keep SJFL membership and/or play in the Junior Cup, which some people seem to think is important. It was suggested that this was part of the "compromise". I was merely pointing out that so far as I can see no-one on the Junior side has the power to agree to that.

As for the Junior cup. I wouldn't be happy in a couple of years if I was a colony Park fan coming up against Talbot in the cup when Talbot are pushing for promotion to league 2. Not a very fair scenario. 

30 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

Again this is probably me over simplifying but the League position needs to be agreed first, cup competitions are secondary. As far as I’m aware and I stand to be corrected on this but no compromise has been suggested by either the WRJFA or the LL or agreed

Again this is probably me over simplifying but the League position needs to be agreed first, cup competitions are secondary. As far as I’m aware and I stand to be corrected on this but no compromise has been suggested by either the WRJFA or the LL or agreed
A compromise has been "suggested", and there was enough interest in the suggestion for another PWG meeting to be arranged for 23rd March. But you are correct in saying that nothing has been "agreed". It is always possible that these talks could break down again. So any clubs who have made their minds up that they want to be in the pyramid should cover their backsides and put in an application to join the LL-WOSFL before 31st March, and then sit back and see what happens.

14 hours ago, james666 said:

Caley and county play in the north of Scotland cup as they are members of the North of Scotland fa. Aberdeen, Cove, Peterhead are eligible for the Aberdeenshire cup and shield as they are Aberdeen fa affiliated. Surely there are FA's in the West region that would take the clubs and they would be eligible for those competitions. That leaves the Junior cup for North, East and any remnants of the west. Yes it will be devalued but I'll bet that teams will want to win it as they would any other competition. 

Would adding the Junior cup onto the calendar for non league clubs not cause a bit of fixture congestion?  Especially in the Highland area. Look at Orkney, scheduled to play 2 games at the same time this weekend, Fort William have something like 9 games in hand. Once the west is incorporated into the pyramid, it's going to have it's own league cup, as the EOS and SOS do, south challenge cup, plus an other such as an Alba cup type competition where the winner plays for a Scottish cup spot in the S.E. shield. Where is the space for junior cup too? Unless reserve teams were played....

The North of Scotland FA, covers the traditional area of the North Caley League, which currently operates 5 separate cup competitions.  Currently, Nairn County (Development), Lewis & Harris FC, and (occasionally) Shetland FC , Lossiemouth, and ICT  also enter some of these cup competitions.

This is unlikely to change to any great degree, if (when) the NCL joins the pyramid. The main disincentive in extending the Junior Cup to NCL clubs, is the geography and travelling, as the North Juniors.are members of the Aberdeenshire FA. The atrocious 2020 weather has played havoc with fixtures this season, hence the Orkney FC  fixture problem, which also hinders Lewis & Harris FC playing in other NoS cup competitions..

Guest Moomintroll

As long as the likes of TAJ, Ronney &, sadly, Felix are kept well away from any positions of power it will work. Letting any of them hold any sort of office will result in constant backbiting & undermining from within. A clean break has to be made from anyone with negative thoughts, yet at the same time it's important to have independent thinkers involved as opposed to people who will just nod at anything. Going to be very tricky & could have been resolved amicably years ago.

On 12/03/2020 at 10:29, Burnie_man said:

The LL will take as many who are interested, nobody will be turned away as is being claimed in WRJFA circles.

However as you say, the LL will run this league with 12 clubs or 42 clubs it makes no difference to them.  The important thing, the base reason for a WoSFL, is to provide a pathway into the Pyramid and Senior football for all clubs in the west of Scotland.  All clubs regardless of their current "grade".

It's not solely about the Juniors, and nor should it.

Meanwhile we have the WRJFA running around spouting pish, lying to clubs about option Z, trying to "starve" the LL of clubs, trying to get the SFA to put blockers in to stop it, threatening legal action, we even had someone at Tuesdays meeting shout "F*ck the LL" without any sort of rebuke, that on the back of the woodpile incident.  Do you want these people anywhere near the Pyramid?

Woodpile incident ?

2 hours ago, glensmad said:
9 hours ago, Jerry Macguire said:

A compromise has been "suggested", and there was enough interest in the suggestion for another PWG meeting to be arranged for 23rd March. But you are correct in saying that nothing has been "agreed". It is always possible that these talks could break down again. So any clubs who have made their minds up that they want to be in the pyramid should cover their backsides and put in an application to join the LL-WOSFL before 31st March, and then sit back and see what happens.

This all sounds very like negotiations between the DUP and Sinn Fein, imho. 

1 minute ago, Jerry Macguire said:

The fact we’re still talking blows your suggestion out the water. No pun intended. 

...at the moment. :whistle

Edited by Jacksgranda

Maybe I'm being overly pessimistic, but reading the last few pages I find the phrase "give them an inch and they'll take a mile" buzzing around my head. I don't like that last WRJFA statement at all. They think they've won, not compromised. I do hope I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, Enigma said:

He’s taken a lot of flak on here but Burnie_man suddenly being oh-so-concerned for wee clubs who wish to remain junior really does take the biscuit.

That's some take on my position.   The stance has always been give clubs the choice, big or small, just as it exists in the east.

Some posters pages back were suggesting any WRJFA clubs who don't like it can basically GTF.  Is that the right way to go about this?  or is the right way to let clubs apply to WoSFL and those who dont stay in the WRJFA?

Clubs should not be forced into a league they don't want to be in.  That was Petrie's words.