Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

2 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Bear in mind that the West of Scotland and Sectional League cups could fall by the wayside after pyramid entry so the SCC can be slotted in. The logistics of it are very much doable. In addition to the SCC, there is a local cup run by the East of Scotland FA that EoS and some LL clubs compete in called the Football Nations Cup and there is also the King Cup for non-licensed EoS clubs that runs on Scottish cup dates. Slotting in the Junior Cup as an WoSFA alternative in a similar sort of way is far from mission impossible in scheduling terms as long as replays get ditched and they consider making other changes that streamline it sensibly if necessary such as Scottish Cup entrants only entering in later rounds and/or regionalising the first couple of rounds.

I think the West of Scotland Cup will just be replaced with a WoSL Cup. The Sectional League Cup will probably go. Was ANYONE happy with the new format?

Why the clamour to keep a competition that Mr Johnston struggles to get sponsorship for??
All teams going to new league should be entering cup's already up and running in Eos/LL set up, great opportunity to re brand , bigger sponsorship, with new teams coming in..
Would look forward to playing new teams instead of usual ones,
SJC is done, it's harder to win west of Scotland cup now..

I may have missed what im going to ask as im new to this, but has there been anything put forward in terms of promotion/relegation to the LL? 
The way i see it is that if it remains as only 1 team relegated from a 16 tier league, but 3 leagues vying for 1 promotion place, then imo the LL are having their cake and eating it, and for some clubs its probably an even bigger pipe dream than it ever was getting to the spfl if the west come on board.
They addressed that issue on Thursday night. The LL acknowledged that bringing another feeder league into their system increases the pressure on them to change the promotion/relegation places eventually. They made the point, though, that if they did do that then it could be used as a trade-off with the SPFL for an increase in turn to the promotion/relegation places to tier 5.

Just now, theesel1994 said:

I think the West of Scotland Cup will just be replaced with a WoSL Cup. The Sectional League Cup will probably go. Was ANYONE happy with the new format?

There were a few people that considered the Sectional League Cup quite important due to the income it could generate from the bigger local teams playing games against the smaller ones.

It was mentioned that this would need to be reviewed for an additional place to open up. At this point, of the WRJFA teams, only Girvan would be eligible for promotion to the LL as the only licensed team.

I may have missed what im going to ask as im new to this, but has there been anything put forward in terms of promotion/relegation to the LL? 
The way i see it is that if it remains as only 1 team relegated from a 16 tier league, but 3 leagues vying for 1 promotion place, then imo the LL are having their cake and eating it, and for some clubs its probably an even bigger pipe dream than it ever was getting to the spfl if the west come on board.

1 hour ago, marconi said:

if discussions go well the west will join  no matter what TJ thinks. after joining talks can be held to clear up any outstanding issues to be decide by majority vote at future meetings, any team that wants can leave  and join an organisation of their choice.  what is wrong with any of this?

Yes.

You need to have an EGM of the SJFA and WRJFA first before you can agree anything with the LL.  The Junior Cup also belongs to ERJFA and NRJFA and they need to have a say on any changes.

Are you really saying to WRJFA clubs that don't want to move to GTF? I thought it was a case of leaving nobody behind?

Just now, FairWeatherFan said:

That's what I hear most often.

To me it seems simpler going to straight knockout. After the first round you can probably arrange a decent enough friendly opponent instead of playing the group games.

They are little more than scheduled pre-season friendlies. In the bin.

4 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

The new league (and its competitions) will be senior, so there would be no compelling of any side to join the SJFA, surely? If clubs want to play in the Junior Cup, they would need to be SJFA members. As noted a few pages back, the SJFA would be reclassified as a recognised or affiliated association, within the SFA (p42-43), rather than being an Affiliated National Association (p40).

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/5422/scottish-fa-handbook-2019-20.pdf

Clubs that wish to maintain their Junior membership would be free to do so, and that will give some additional life to the SJFA which would live on as an 'opt in' cup for those that want into it. I would hope that the South Challenge Cup can grow alongside it.

Is this what is being proposed?

Why would this happen as the SJFA or any successor wouldn't be running any pyramid leagues. …. or is this a sneaky way to get Tier 6 leagues e.g. north, Tayside, east, run by what is still, effectively, the SJFA? 

4 hours ago, Pyramidic said:

Perhaps we need  a club like Girvan to "test the water"!

Will Girvan be eligible to play in the lower reaches of the WoSFL/ WRJFA new league without being a member of the SJFA?

Simple question for the Junior acolytes to answer please.

A condition of licencing is to play in the pyramid. Next season the WoS will provide the necessary league in the west which will remove the option which there has been to remain in a non-pyramid league and to retain a club licence.

Is this what is being proposed?
Why would this happen as the SJFA or any successor wouldn't be running any pyramid leagues. …. or is this a sneaky way to get Tier 6 leagues e.g. north, Tayside, east, run by what is still, effectively, the SJFA? 

I hope no one under estimates the sneakiness of the sjfa......

4 hours ago, Mystic Blastie said:

Surely his whole approach has been make sure, if possible, that the small clubs like Muirkirk and Saltcoats are not left out of the West of Scotland League. Maybe I'm just a glass half full guyemoji848.png

It has been put about that the WoS wouldn't want the "small " clubs. There is absolutely no evidence to support this theory.

In any case we may see clubs from each current level within the West Juniors choosing to remain exactly where they are - much as the West Lothian Junior clubs have chosen to do in the east.

4 hours ago, clash city rocker said:

Gordon Ronney mentioned the East junior clubs quite a lot during the meeting a was at. How those moving across had left those not wishing to isolated and neglected. He didn't want that to happen in West. I was at the meeting really only interested in future progress of my own club but Ronney was adamant all clubs are equal and if clubs refused to move something had to be in place for them to exist under as Juniors.

Makes sense!

It was mentioned that this would need to be reviewed for an additional place to open up. At this point, of the WRJFA teams, only Girvan would be eligible for promotion to the LL as the only licensed team.
They wouldn't get in without floodlights.

I disagree. Merging or bringing it back would convert many pyramid doubters.

It wasn't that important to the many Junior clubs who left (and are leaving) to join the EoS.
It shouldn't be used as a comfort blanket.  If it is practical and workable to retain it as a national trophy in the current fixture calendar then fair enough, but I personally can't see a way of doing this or that clubs in the east will re-engage with it.