Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

3 minutes ago, BS7 said:

Do you think it makes a difference now with the Scottish Cup? I'd say (and this is borne out by Bonnyrigg crowds) Scottish Cup > Junior Cup

I think that's really why we are where we are today - once the junior clubs experienced playing against senior sides, there were always going to be some that would wonder "lets have that every season" along with Linlithgow and Girvan.

I would have liked to have seen an all in non league cup, perhaps even with the bottom two leagues in the SPFL. However there's no appetite for it in the Highlands so, its not going to happen.

Mind, once the west teams move to the WOSFL, the south challenge cup will be a stonking competition with all the best of the old east and old west juniors along with the best old seniors.

Yeh we had a taste of Senior Scottish this year and we will enjoy it again next season

Do you think it makes a difference now with the Scottish Cup? I'd say (and this is borne out by Bonnyrigg crowds) Scottish Cup > Junior Cup
I think that's really why we are where we are today - once the junior clubs experienced playing against senior sides, there were always going to be some that would wonder "lets have that every season" along with Linlithgow and Girvan.
I would have liked to have seen an all in non league cup, perhaps even with the bottom two leagues in the SPFL. However there's no appetite for it in the Highlands so, its not going to happen.
Mind, once the west teams move to the WOSFL, the south challenge cup will be a stonking competition with all the best of the old east and old west juniors along with the best old seniors.

I’d be in favour of opening up the Scottish Challenge cup to more non SPFL teams instead of Colts and teams outside Scotland. Perhaps as you suggest make it League 1 downwards. Making it basically a Semi Pro cup. This season the only Full time team would be Falkirk with Raith and Airdrie operating Full Time but with some Part Time players.

15 minutes ago, BS7 said:

Not yet anyway. Once the pyramid fills out a bit I think they'll fancy it. Indeed you could split it regionally until the final for a HL/LL final each year

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

I’d be in favour of opening up the Scottish Challenge cup to more non SPFL teams instead of Colts and teams outside Scotland. Perhaps as you suggest make it League 1 downwards. Making it basically a Semi Pro cup. This season the only Full time team would be Falkirk with Raith and Airdrie operating Full Time but with some Part Time players.
Are Airdrie not majority part time with a handful of full timers? Best described as a 'hybrid model'.

2 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

But the Scottish Junior Cup is a route to bigger things for clubs out of their title race. There’s the WH Scottish Cup for example. 

Surely a better and simpler route into the Big Scottish is to get licensed, rather than aim to be one of the very few to muscle Talbot out of the way to win a league or cup?

I was at Beith when they pushed Airdrie ridiculously close in a 4-3 replay defeat in 2010/11. They've only had two seasons in the Scottish Cup since, both exciting, eventful runs with matches that will live long in the memory. For the life of me I can't understand why they wouldn't want that every year.

This is what I think brought about the downfall of Junior football - Junior clubs being allowed in the Scottish Cup. And now clubs can see with a little bit of investment up front they can recoup that over just a few seasons by being a Licenced club.

57 minutes ago, BS7 said:

Yep, and no more away cup matches for West Juniors, at New Elgin Juniors or Cruden Bay, on a wet November Saturday 

So far accepted in the league:
Clydebank
Kilwinning Rangers
Bonnyton Thistle
Glasgow Uni
BSC Glasgow reserves
Caledonian Braves U16
Glasgow School of Arts FC
Stranraer High School FC
Campbeltown Youth FC
Elgin City Colts (playing all home games on Tuesday nights between October and February)
Dissapointed the Ardnamurchan School Of Interpretive dance didn't get accepted

20 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Screenshot_2020-03-04 Clydebank FC Dev on Twitter thistle_c ladeside5277 The juniors lost its power when clubs from your re[...].png

Anybody from the East would tell you that there have been massive changes at Whitehill in the past 2-3 years that have bugger-all to do with the standard of the league.

18 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

The problem with comments like beenzan taste, if he made genuine comments that could be possible. instead of trying to, in my mind, shit stir then he would be considered as a person that we could look into his points as he is junior but the comments like this one and similar puts you off people in this grade, especially the ones in power or some kind of power

I tried engaging with beenze  500 or so pages back. Apart from the odd lucid post during his 'mellow' period, he really needs to bring a bit more to the party than a load of sarcasm and a silly username.

1 minute ago, GNU_Linux said:
1 hour ago, Marten said:
Clydebank
Kilwinning Rangers
Bonnyton Thistle
Glasgow Uni
BSC Glasgow reserves
Caledonian Braves U16
Stranraer High School FC
Campbeltown Youth FC
Elgin City Colts (playing all home games on Tuesday nights between October and February)

They'll need to upgrade their toilets to SFA standard.

3 hours ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

The prestige of the junior cup is gone other than tradition u dont play big east clubs. But as I said yesterday the league probably more of a priority than south challenge cup in juniors its other way round 

That's crap, and you know it is. The prestige hasn't gone, it's the Eastern Juniors who've gone from it and they'd offered precious little in the last decade.

2 hours ago, Marten said:

Many people here are quoting Bonnyton Thistle as an unattractive opponent. They're a well run community club, close to many junior clubs. If they are in a West league with plenty of clubs near them, they could generate local rivalries and clubs will soon get used to playing them. But because they're a bit "unknown" at the moment, plenty of people are looking down on them.

An are no different from Rossvale in that they have a Youth background.

8 minutes ago, TFW said:

That's crap, and you know it is. The prestige hasn't gone, it's the Eastern Juniors who've gone from it and they'd offered precious little in the last decade.

It's a WOS with inviatations. Standard is dire with clubs getting to latter stages that would have been nowhere near <2017.

Edited by cmontheloknow

1 hour ago, Marten said:

Clydebank
Kilwinning Rangers
Bonnyton Thistle
Glasgow Uni
BSC Glasgow reserves
Caledonian Braves U16
Stranraer High School FC
Campbeltown Youth FC

WOW that looks like a cracking league

7 minutes ago, TFW said:

In  the 10 seasons prior to last season, the east appeared in 4 finals and won 1.

In the previous 10 there were 7 wins and not one final that didn't contain an east team.

So in 20 years, 8 wins and only 6 years where east teams were involved, not bad I'd say.

20 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:
1 hour ago, Marten said:
Clydebank
Kilwinning Rangers
Bonnyton Thistle
Glasgow Uni
BSC Glasgow reserves
Caledonian Braves U16
Stranraer High School FC
Campbeltown Youth FC

Highland League for them I'm afraid. The Iona Abbey Ecumenical XI qualify for the WOS though.