Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

10 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

But the Scottish Junior Cup is a route to bigger things for clubs out of their title race. There’s the WH Scottish Cup for example. 

The reason I mentioned Talbot is that both the league and Cup have that important benefit but, I think, the club see the league as being the more difficult/ important competition. Surely this is the yardstick. 

Also you’re kind of suggesting in the above post that the Junior Cup was more exciting than the SOS cup for your club. You’ll be blackballed by your pyramid pals for such an approach!

it wouldn't be now as a lot of clubs arent their now. As I say I believe it down to the pyramid being more about the league where as Juniors the Junior cup was seen as the elite

43 minutes ago, The Ilford Drummer said:

Still a big gamble in my mind.

Let's take Troon for example.

WRJFA feeder league, keep games with Talbot,Pollok,Medda,Bankies etc teams with great support,winners in play off.

Or go  EOS/LL   version could end in a conference with, (and I mean no disrespect in this example)

Bonnyton,Whitletts,Glasgow Uni, etc etc and several years of much reduced revenue??

The problem with your scenario is short term thinking. You need to consider long term movement of clubs - Talbot would likely be promoted, Clydebank and others with a licence (more £) so they could go up as well. Maybe Dalbeattie or Gretna get relegated and want to play in the WRJFA feeder rather than SOS, or even Caledonian Braves could be relegated.

Plus it's not been worked out how Bonnyton or Glasgow Uni would fit into the WRJFA feeder next season, so Troon could still be playing them. Or they could be promoted in later years anyway.

The entire point of conferences is to produce a top division for the following season, so they'd only be used for one season.

What about your own club, Carluke - looks like a modern facility, have you checked the licensing manual to see if it meets the criteria? https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/5839/scottish-fa-club-licensing-manual-2020.pdf

Edited by Ginaro

39 minutes ago, The Ilford Drummer said:

Still a big gamble in my mind.

Let's take Troon for example.

WRJFA feeder league, keep games with Talbot,Pollok,Medda,Bankies etc teams with great support,winners in play off.

Or go  EOS/LL   version could end in a conference with, (and I mean no disrespect in this example)

Bonnyton,Whitletts,Glasgow Uni, etc etc and several years of much reduced revenue??

So that's a fear that maybe 16 out of 63 clubs could have.

For the majority who already go all over the West of Scotland in front of lower crowds than Premiership teams that's not a concern.

6 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

The problem with your scenario is that it is short term thinking. You need to consider long term movement of clubs - Talbot would likely be promoted, Clydebank and others with a licence (more £) so they could go up as well. Maybe Dalbeattie or Gretna get relegated and want to play in the WRJFA feeder rather than SOS, or even Caledonian Braves could be relegated.

Plus it's not been worked out how Bonnyton or Glasgow Uni would fit into the WRJFA feeder next season, so Troon could still be playing them. Or they could be promoted in later years.

The entire point of conferences is to produce a top division for the following season, so they'd only be used for one season.

What about your own club, Carluke - looks like a modern facility, have you checked the licensing manual to see if it meets the criteria? https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/5839/scottish-fa-club-licensing-manual-2020.pdf

Dont you mean the WOS feeder to the LL not the WRJFA feeder?

Tiny attendances? There’s clubs in the west premier who’ve had single figure away crowds this year so I’m not worried about our gates. One club apparently boasted about a regular 200 strong away support in a wrsjfa meeting once and the last two times they played us they hardly had a single paying away fan, but surprisingly had about 20 ‘committee’.

Many people here are quoting Bonnyton Thistle as an unattractive opponent. They're a well run community club, close to many junior clubs. If they are in a West league with plenty of clubs near them, they could generate local rivalries and clubs will soon get used to playing them. But because they're a bit "unknown" at the moment, plenty of people are looking down on them.

Just now, btw lads said:

surely the more teams that go senior will dilute the pot therefore  less money being shared out?

It might dilute the pot but it will still be a larger pot than the Junior Cup gives out.

Also, despite a smaller pot, there is always the chance of one of playing one of the bigger teams. People have pointed out some of the games from this season alone that clubs like Penicuik and Broxburn have got.

5 minutes ago, btw lads said:

surely the more teams that go senior will dilute the pot therefore  less money being shared out?

Broxburn made £42k in prize money, probably made around the same in share of gate receipts, and add in some extras like catering and bar profits home to East Stirlingshire and Cowdenbeath, then add in £8k annual payment from SFA, they're looking at £90-£100k profit.  It's not just prize money.

Broxburn are not one of the traditional east heavyweights either, and were in a pretty poor way 10 years ago. 

1 hour ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Yeah but thats because Talbot are one of the most succesful sides and obviously have and can win both. But what I was getting at by the time of the last 16 clubs like Camelon, Lochee, Kilwinning, Beith or whoever were generally out of the title race. We are out of our title race and yes we want to win our South Challenge cup quarter final on Saturday but it doesnt have the same farore as it did with the JUnior cup when I compare it to when we were due to play Kilwinning in the Quarter Final ok only a few weeks before it we beat Kelty 4-1 at home in the previous round

Do you think it makes a difference now with the Scottish Cup? I'd say (and this is borne out by Bonnyrigg crowds) Scottish Cup > Junior Cup

I think that's really why we are where we are today - once the junior clubs experienced playing against senior sides, there were always going to be some that would wonder "lets have that every season" along with Linlithgow and Girvan.

I would have liked to have seen an all in non league cup, perhaps even with the bottom two leagues in the SPFL. However there's no appetite for it in the Highlands so, its not going to happen.

Mind, once the west teams move to the WOSFL, the south challenge cup will be a stonking competition with all the best of the old east and old west juniors along with the best old seniors.