Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

It's interesting that the "extra General Meeting" of the West Region clubs is taking place next Tuesday, while a date hasn't yet been confirmed for the LL-WosFL information meeting. I expect that to be next week some time as well, but I'd be surprised if it is before Tuesday. Consequently, any teams who wish to keep their options open should be very careful about what (if anything) they commit to at Tuesday night's meeting.
I also note that Tuesday's meeting hasn't been called an "Extraordinary General Meeting", i.e. an EGM. It has just been termed as an "extra General Meeting". Whether that has any significance or not I don't know.
Keep in mind further info from the LL should be sent out to clubs before the WRJFA meeting either today or tomorrorow.

2 hours ago, glensmad said:

I also note that Tuesday's meeting hasn't been called an "Extraordinary General Meeting", i.e. an EGM. It has just been termed as an "extra General Meeting". Whether that has any significance or not I don't know.

My bet is that whoever organised it and published the notification had a senior moment and forgot what the E in EGM stands for...

23 minutes ago, STRUTHERS said:
1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:
I imagine it'll be a hard-sell on the "show of support" angle.
Just on a personal level that doesn't sit well without as things stand a settled road map of the way ahead and concrete plan on how to facilitate it.
Sounds too much like a nervous Dark Ages monarch demanding oaths of fealty from all and sundry because someone's spotted a line of longships strung out along the horizon.  

Clubs should wait until the President of the WRJFA & Vice President of SJFA signs it first. Shows a bit of leadership to get the ball rolling.

I would suspect that is never going to happen which goes to show just how ridiculous this whole west region proposal is. 

38 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Not seen anyone from Lochee United posting recently, so here's their manager commenting on Lochore's decision to move. Fortunately others are on hand to put him right. https://www.facebook.com/lochore.welfare/posts/1905278342938166?comment_id=1905342036265130

Untitled-1.png

Sounds like an abslote roaster tbh.

1 hour ago, STRUTHERS said:

Clubs should wait until the President of the WRJFA & Vice President of SJFA signs it first. Shows a bit of leadership to get the ball rolling.

Spot on.

And I wouldn't hold your breath for it to happen.

Serious question: without mentioning protecting the grade or history of the level, can someone please tell me the benefits and reasoning for wanting to stay junior in the west under whatever banner it’s presented, or joining the LL/EoS formed WoS?

I cannot see how any of the good elements of junior football aside from the prestige of the junior cup can be lost by moving across.

7 minutes ago, pyramidiot said:

Serious question: without mentioning protecting the grade or history of the level, can someone please tell me the benefits and reasoning for wanting to stay junior in the west under whatever banner it’s presented, or joining the LL/EoS formed WoS?

I cannot see how any of the good elements of junior football aside from the prestige of the junior cup can be lost by moving across.

The prestige of the junior cup is gone other than tradition u dont play big east clubs. But as I said yesterday the league probably more of a priority than south challenge cup in juniors its other way round 

7 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

The prestige of the junior cup is gone other than tradition u dont play big east clubs. But as I said yesterday the league probably more of a priority than south challenge cup in juniors its other way round 

That’s not true. Even Talbot don’t see it this way now.

2 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

That’s not true. Even Talbot don’t see it this way now.

Yeah but thats because Talbot are one of the most succesful sides and obviously have and can win both. But what I was getting at by the time of the last 16 clubs like Camelon, Lochee, Kilwinning, Beith or whoever were generally out of the title race. We are out of our title race and yes we want to win our South Challenge cup quarter final on Saturday but it doesnt have the same farore as it did with the JUnior cup when I compare it to when we were due to play Kilwinning in the Quarter Final ok only a few weeks before it we beat Kelty 4-1 at home in the previous round

Still a big gamble in my mind.

Let's take Troon for example.

WRJFA feeder league, keep games with Talbot,Pollok,Medda,Bankies etc teams with great support,winners in play off.

Or go  EOS/LL   version could end in a conference with, (and I mean no disrespect in this example)

Bonnyton,Whitletts,Glasgow Uni, etc etc and several years of much reduced revenue??

Just now, The Ilford Drummer said:

WRJFA feeder league, keep games with Talbot,Pollok,Medda,Bankies etc teams with great support,winners in play off.

Or go  EOS/LL   version could end in a conference with, (and I mean no disrespect in this example)

Bonnyton,Whitletts,Glasgow Uni, etc etc and several years of much reduced revenue??

The WRJFA league won't feed into the LL, there is zero chance of that happening.

1 minute ago, The Ilford Drummer said:

Winners in a play off for what??

Just now, The Ilford Drummer said:

You won't be playing the bankies in the wrsjfa feeder league they will be going.

This is the same scare stories we got as at the time Bo'ness and Linlithgow aren't going. We were a leader to change while those two clubs came anyway so all that fear was out of nothing.

3 minutes ago, The Ilford Drummer said:

several years of reduced revenue if you look at Camelon. Our average attendance was 100 in the juniors. our average in the East premier league in league games is 182. But we were supposed to have more travel dispite travelling 14 miles less per game on average.

Yeah I appreciate the conferences could be seen as a downside, but would only be for one season. If they did end up in a league with all the teams you listed (which would be very very unlikely) it would only be for one season not a number of years with reduced revenue.

The East did conferences for their first season and even the most sceptical would say it was a massive success.

Given that it would only be for one season you would play in a conference - would you say that playing in a conference for one season would be a reasonable sacrifice to allow your team the opportunity if they desired (not today or tomorrow) but any time in the future to start progressing up the pyramid, joining a league which has a fixture list from the start of the season, a youth league which can be joined if desired, no more fines for disciplinary, no more paying for friendly permits and no more defined date that friendlies can commence from... amongst many other things?

Thank you for your reply and I’m not on either side of the fence - just interested in the changing landscape of Scottish Football. To me looking in if all west teams joined the LL proposals they would keep everything they love and lose everything they hate, with an exception of the junior cup and one season of conferences.

6 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Yeah but thats because Talbot are one of the most succesful sides and obviously have and can win both. But what I was getting at by the time of the last 16 clubs like Camelon, Lochee, Kilwinning, Beith or whoever were generally out of the title race. We are out of our title race and yes we want to win our South Challenge cup quarter final on Saturday but it doesnt have the same farore as it did with the JUnior cup when I compare it to when we were due to play Kilwinning in the Quarter Final ok only a few weeks before it we beat Kelty 4-1 at home in the previous round

But the Scottish Junior Cup is a route to bigger things for clubs out of their title race. There’s the WH Scottish Cup for example. 

The reason I mentioned Talbot is that both the league and Cup have that important benefit but, I think, the club see the league as being the more difficult/ important competition. Surely this is the yardstick. 

Also you’re kind of suggesting in the above post that the Junior Cup was more exciting than the SOS cup for your club. You’ll be blackballed by your pyramid pals for such an approach!

8 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

But the Scottish Junior Cup is a route to bigger things for clubs out of their title race. There’s the WH Scottish Cup for example. 

The reason I mentioned Talbot is that both the league and Cup have that important benefit but, I think, the club see the league as being the more difficult/ important competition. Surely this is the yardstick. 

Also you’re kind of suggesting in the above post that the Junior Cup was more exciting than the SOS cup for your club. You’ll be blackballed by your pyramid pals for such an approach!

Probably best you don’t get used to that when the WOSL is set up and pyramid is sorted I’m hearing the juniors will be losing their SC place. What will you do then? 

9 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Apart from half a dozen clubs the Junior Cup is not a route for the Scottish Cup. A much easier way to get access to the Scottish Cup would be to join the pyramid and get licensed.