Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

6 minutes ago, Ross. said:

But how can the SJFA expect the clubs to be able to afford floodlights, toilets, improved changing facilities and all the rest?...

I mean, that is being put forward as a reason for the WOSL under the LL not being viable for many?

Muddying of the waters, that's why. Designed to confuse and delay.

Each club's decision-makers should do their homework and research the subject inn fine detail, and not rely on what they are being told by either side.

5 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Muddying of the waters, that's why. Designed to confuse and delay.

Each club's decision-makers should do their homework and research the subject inn fine detail, and not rely on what they are being told by either side.

Yeah, I get that, but what I don't get is why they are saying it is only a problem under someone else's version of a WOS league feeding into the LL. How can they also say that their version will deliver the same thing but not have the additional costs?

4 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Yeah, I get that, but what I don't get is why they are saying it is only a problem under someone else's version of a WOS league feeding into the LL. How can they also say that their version will deliver the same thing but not have the additional costs?

I don't think they are, to be fair.

Imo it all comes down to the fact that some committees are made up of older guys who aren't internet savvy and are blissfully unaware of what has happened over the last few years. The WRJFA campaign will be relying largely on trust, not facts, as they will hope that some clubs will follow them blindly wherever they might lead.

10 hours ago, GordonS said:

I hope you understand this better than your question suggests?

All the conferences are equal. In the East they took the previous season's league tables and zipped the two together, so the conferences were reasonably balanced and certainly fair. Some clubs were "put" at the bottom, to an extent - for instance, Inverkeithing went to the bottom of the seeding because they were a brand new club. 

More than no issues, it's important for folk in the West to know that it was good fun and everyone enjoyed it. You wouldn't want to do it for more than a season but it meant visiting places you wouldn't get to go other than on the luck of a cup draw, and for fans of smaller clubs it meant a few big games home and away. The hidings were inevitable but it all added to a tense title race - you knew you couldn't afford to slip up as your rivals probably wouldn't. In the end it was a 3-3 draw at home to Ormiston that did for Linlithgow. For the clubs lower down a point picked up against the bigger clubs could be the difference between qualifying for the Premier League or not.

And the end of season play-off was great.

The novelty won't wear off inside a single season. There will be hidings but nobody will get them "every week". And there will be upsets too.

Wonder how Easthouses, Dundonald and Dunipace can afford lights but Largs couldn't.

Those that can find a way will do it. Those that can't, that's fine, Tier 6 in the West will still be a great competition.

Somebody said that WoS first season shouldn't be linear because ' amateur clubs would get put at the bottom'.

This post just reminded me that that's EXACTLY what happened to Inver HS.

And some teams WERE getting hidings every week. 

Eyemouth's away results...

IMG_20200303_185922.JPG

7 minutes ago, Doonhamer1969 said:

Somebody said that WoS first season shouldn't be linear because ' amateur clubs would get put at the bottom'.

IMG_20200303_185922.JPG

They were in a tier 6 league though they want to put them a division below

24 minutes ago, Doonhamer1969 said:

IMG_20200303_185922.JPG

Here's the thing. Eyemouth and Tweedmouth were getting beat heavily even before the Juniors joined.

image.png.8f13ea4943354682d21e6fcbabd39c7f.png

In 2017-18 Tweedmouth Rangers concede 139 goals in a 24 game season. In 2018-19 in Conference A they concede 115 goals in a 24 game season.

Eyemouted in 20178-18 concede 114 goals in 2017-18. In 2018-19 they concede 142.

7 hours ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Because it's the scare story to keep them in the grade. Lights 150k toilets and cold Tuesday nights in elgin

Serious question....

Has anybody on this forum ACTUALLY in real life spent a cold Tuesday night in Elgin ? ;)

Law of averages suggests someone must have !!!!

44 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Here's the thing. Eyemouth and Tweedmouth were getting beat heavily even before the Juniors joined.

image.png.8f13ea4943354682d21e6fcbabd39c7f.png

In 2017-18 Tweedmouth Rangers concede 139 goals in a 24 game season. In 2018-19 in Conference A they concede 115 goals in a 24 game season.

Eyemouted in 20178-18 concede 114 goals in 2017-18. In 2018-19 they concede 142.

Yes, which kinda proves my point.

East had to do conferences because there were 13 teams from one 'system' , 24 from another , one amateur and Dunipace.

As the vast majority of applications for the new WoS will be from the current West Junior set up, I see no reason why linear leagues can't be established in 2020-21.

For the 'outliers', Bonnyton are at Tier 6 and should be able to be accommodated at Tier 6. 

If ALL 16 current WJ Premiership teams applied and are accepted, just run a 17 team league for one season. Its good enough for the HL.

For amateur teams coming in, it makes sense for them to come in at the bottom, simply to avoid the humpings seen in the East conferences.

Your point re Eyemouth and Tweedmouth getting humped before the arrival of the former juniors en masse is moot.

There were only 13 teams, therefore only one league, so no way to avoid those humpings.

With 48 expressions of interest and further expressions of interest permitted, unless there is a mass epidemic of cold feet from the clubs or we're aw died from Light Beer virus , it makes sense to go straight to linear.

It also allows the West to 'play catch up' on the East, instead of effectively running 2 years 'in arrears'.

I take the point about playing different teams, interesting fixtures etc for one season, seeing different grounds, but that's not enough for me to justify current West Premiership teams playing shootie in against former amateur clubs, even for one season.