Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

Would be ironic, after all the discussion of respecting the SoS and ensuring it's not eradicated, if clubs moving to the WoS hastened its demise...

As has been mentioned before, IMO the ideal long-term scenario would be a league covering the entirety of the west at tier 6. Two regionwide divisions from Glasgow to Gretna - featuring relegated LL clubs, Premiership/Championship Juniors, and the top SoS teams - with automatic promotion to the LL of course.

Then there would be a north/south regional split at tier 8. This would allow the rest of the SoS somewhere to play without needing to travel that far north out of D&G.

Two leagues at tier 6 should be the aim - no need for a three way play-off, you can play extend the season by week. Useful when you have lots of postponed games to catch up on!

1 hour ago, TheDemon said:

Mr Petrie was in good spirits at last nights meeting with us to discuss the South.

After discussions with other reps, it is now likely we will throw our hat in to the ring and express an interest to join.

Abbey Vale and Creetown are looking to obtain a license soon too. (Latter close to sourcing funds for lights)

Petrie advised that any South club looking to switch should be given priority at T6.  

Who is we?

Also, all SoS clubs are at tier 6 already as you'll know.

3 minutes ago, monthehoose said:

thats i place i won't miss going to. surely Kennoways park and particularly the access to it, aren't good enough standard for the pyramid

I will never condone any team, no matter who they are who are trying to progress and hopefully improve to become bigger.
it should be commended, whether your for the juniors or the pyramid

1 minute ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

I will never condone any team, no matter who they are who are trying to progress and hopefully improve to become bigger.

Its not their ambition i'm criticising. Its their park

2 hours ago, monthehoose said:

Its not their ambition i'm criticising. Its their park

Every team makes mistakes or have problems.  If they grow and look to improve and try to solve the problems then good luck to them 👍
I have never been so I cannot agree or disagree with you in regards to the ground and will go by your experience and to me, any team going to the pyramid looks like they intend to better themself

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

13 minutes ago, monthehoose said:

thats i place i won't miss going to. surely Kennoways park and particularly the access to it, aren't good enough standard for the pyramid

Treaton Park is an excellent ground. Are you complaining about a fifty yard walk from the car park? I'm sure anyone with mobility issues is able to park nearer. 

27 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Would be ironic, after all the discussion of respecting the SoS and ensuring it's not eradicated, if clubs moving to the WoS hastened its demise...

As has been mentioned before, IMO the ideal long-term scenario would be a league covering the entirety of the west at tier 6. Two regionwide divisions from Glasgow to Gretna - featuring relegated LL clubs, Premiership/Championship Juniors, and the top SoS teams - with automatic promotion to the LL of course.

Then there would be a north/south regional split at tier 8. This would allow the rest of the SoS somewhere to play without needing to travel that far north out of D&G.

Two leagues at tier 6 should be the aim - no need for a three way play-off, you can play extend the season by week. Useful when you have lots of postponed games to catch up on!

Don't think it's quite a demise. There's only a handful of clubs interested at best. That doesn't even mean they'd act on it.

The majority will carry on. Heston Rovers, as an example, have been tenants at Palmerston since 2013. Yet they've never implemented the extra bits & pieces to get licenced. They're probably just happy enough playing in a well organized local league. 

21 minutes ago, monthehoose said:

The location, access and parking are not suitable for the big crowds they can expect in the EOS league in my opinion

Apologies if I'm mistaken, but I think Linlithgow Rose have the largest travelling support in the EOS. If KSH's ground was good enough for them in the ER Superleague, why is it not good enough now?

6 hours ago, stanley said:

Very hard to qualify back then.  Scotland were in qualifying groups where only the top team qualified (no playoffs).  Italy (1966) and West Germany (1970) qualified ahead of us in 1st place with Scotland in 2nd.

FWIW, at the 1958 World Cup there were 12 European teams from 27 in qualifying; in 1962 there were 10 from Europe from 30 in qualifying; in 1966 it was 10 from 31.

When we finally qualified in 1974 there were only 8 UEFA qualifiers (plus hosts West Germany) out of 32 in qualifying; in 1978 it was 10 from 32.

For the last World Cup there were 13 European qualifiers from 54 in qualification. That's only one more spot than was available in 1958.

I don't think it was any tougher to qualify in the 1960s than now. Many of the players from relatively important countries like Denmark weren't even full time. The Scottish league was very comfortably one of the 8 best leagues throughout the 60s even though many of our best players were based elsewhere. We underachieved in 1958, 1962, 1966 and 1970, and thinking that it matters that we won a friendly in 1967 is symptomatic of our failure to deliver on potential.

2 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

"condone" doesn't make any sense. Don't you mean "condemn"?

32 minutes ago, Myles Offside said:

Condone and commend mean the same thing.

Condone was actually mean to be condemn but hey my bad

Just checking but I don't mind being wrong, again but isn't condone to overlook or forgive and commend to praise formally, if so then I think both are different, definitely not the same.

See you MylesOffside, cause you picked up on my mistake I need to go back over my posts and posts and posts to find my mistakes as I'm sure there are tons now 😰

Hypothetically as no team has officially stated they are leaving from the West region, if teams do leave the west, do you think it would be a straight movement up the leagues in the order they finish this season.
Say 3 teams left the top division to join  the seniors then how would that go with officially the teams who are supposed to be relegated this season

7 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Who is we?

Also, all SoS clubs are at tier 6 already as you'll know.

This is the same poster that said Bonnyton, Threave, St Cuthberts, Newton Stewart and Mid-Annandale are interested. If his latest info is accurate then Rod Petrie appears to be very much on board with what is happening and is not trying to block it, which would be very bad news for TJ. That fits what you heard happened at the last SJFA management committee meeting that was attended by Rod Petrie and Ian Maxwell.

The obvious solution on the SoS clubs at tier 6 in WoS thing is a season with 2018-19 EoS style conferences rather than using the 2019-20 WRSJFA standings and shoving the rest in the bottom tier. In other words, the fresh start approach you have already been advocating vociferously on here.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

I can see teams from the SoS league applying for either the new WoSFL or the EosFL

Upper Annandale & Mid Annandale are bang on the motorway and currently have u20 teams in the EoSFL.

Lochmaben are only a few miles away from Lockerbie too.

Stranraer Res, Wigtown, Newton Stewart, Creetown & Threave all have reasonable access up the West coast.

Bonnyton & Caley Braves are already up that way.

Nithsdale Wanderers in Sanquhar are probably closer to most West junior clubs than teams from the SoS league.

That would only leave Lochar, Heston & Abbey Vale stuck in a no-mans land.

Interesting few months ahead.....