Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

2 hours ago, glensmad said:

I don't see this as a compromise. I see this as forcing junior teams who don't want to join the pyramid and go senior to do it anyway.

It's not necessary in my opinion. The proposal on the table allows every team to make their own choice.

This is just more muddying of the waters and delaying tactics, in my opinion.

Indeed, and the process that's under-way now will allow all West Juniors to move over - but they have the freedom to choose to stay Junior.

If they all go then they all go. Simple as that. Doesn't need any compromise in addition to this does it?

Edited by Dev
update

There might some insight into this since there's some Clydebank posters around at the very least. Anyone have an idea on Yoker Athletic? With all the talk of Clydebank moving senior Yoker were apparently quite happy staying Junior.

Is the collapse of the West Region going to be enough to see them sign up for the WoSFL?

2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

I wish folk would stop citing the "South Challenge Cup" as if it's analogous to a national Junior Cup. It's a Lowland competition with next to no history or prestige.

Right enough but if all the leading clubs outside the SPFL and in the Lowland League area were competing for it then it wouldn't be far off and significant as the Junior Cup - albeit after a while and some meaningful commercial promotion activity. After all the Northern Juniors never had any much to do with the Junior Cup - so it is a Lowland competition (apologies to the north of Tay clubs).

There might some insight into this since there's some Clydebank posters around at the very least. Anyone have an idea on Yoker Athletic? With all the talk of Clydebank moving senior Yoker were apparently quite happy staying Junior.
Is the collapse of the West Region going to be enough to see them sign up for the WoSFL?

Not got a clue, Gordon Robertson, Bankies ex-chairman who left us to coach at Ladeside is now a coach at Yoker, hes been quite active on twitter defending Gordon Parks dogs dinner of an article so who knows, dont have any insight, maybe some of our board do. Seems Bankies are doing the necessary in terms of fundraising to improve the ground so would seem daft not going if they weren’t even having to pay.

Not got a clue, Gordon Robertson, Bankies ex-chairman who left us to coach at Ladeside is now a coach at Yoker, hes been quite active on twitter defending Gordon Parks dogs dinner of an article so who knows, dont have any insight, maybe some of our board do. Seems Bankies are doing the necessary in terms of fundraising to improve the ground so would seem daft not going if they weren’t even having to pay.
Nobody will HAVE to pay. The ground improvements will only be necessary for licence requirements, which only applies from tier 5 upwards.

How many times does that have to be repeated ?

CORRECTED POST SOURCE
"Geographical integrity" ?
In your summary above, are you (indirectly) intending to transfer Kello Rovers from the juniors to the SoSL , as they are located in Dumfries & Galloway,  as part of the geographical integrity you refer to?  (You have only quoted one "exception.", namely Bonnyton Thistle?)
Also, if SFA (seniors) Glasgow University were to apply to join the West league, should they (in your opinion), also be an "exception" ?

Nowhere in the SoSL Constitution does it mention Dumfries or a Galloway. Rather it lists among its objectives "to play and promote Association Football in the South of Scotland." Admittedly, this is vague. But it could certainly be argued that its remit extends beyond Galloway and Dumfries, and arguably to all of Scotland south of the Ll/HL line, except for those areas covered by the EoSL.

3 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Nowhere in the SoSL Constitution does it mention Dumfries or a Galloway. Rather it lists among its objectives "to play and promote Association Football in the South of Scotland." Admittedly, this is vague. But it could certainly be argued that its remit extends beyond Galloway and Dumfries, and arguably to all of Scotland south of the Ll/HL line, except for those areas covered by the EoSL.

As I said a few posts back, the first league in 1946 contained Ayr and killie reserves while Girvan joined not long after.

There are cups that were county exclusive though. Girvan's season was league games plus the League Cup, Tweedie and Cree Lodge Cups (and the Qualifying Cup). They didn't enter Haig Gordon or Potts, nor the Southern Counties Cup.

Edited by cmontheloknow

As I said a few posts back, the first league in 1946 contained Ayr and killie reserves while Girvan joined not long after.
There are cups that were county exclusive though. Girvan's season was league games plus the League Cup, Tweedie and Cree Lodge Cups (and the Qualifying Cup). They didn't enter Haig Gordon or Potts, nor the Southern Counties Cup.

Indeed. There were cups that were run by the separate Wigtownshire and Kirkcudbrightshire FAs.

And in recent years we’ve had East Kilbride (briefly) and Bonnyton in the SoSL.

But I do think the answer is for a WoSL at tier 6 with the SoSL feeding it at some level. And there may be benefits in it not being a a Galloway and Dumfries league, given that NS travel is easier than EW.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

So you're all for clubs treating this process privately, and then outing them anyway.

Correct. Leaving one league and joining another is a sensitive issue, for clubs and fans alike.

So the SLL is right NOT to disclose the names of any clubs who are merely expressing an interest (at this stage), in order to decide whether or not to join the pyramid for next season. It is up to the club itself, to decide whether or not to make a public announcement

Surely you agree, that whether the club concerned is Auchinleck Talbot or Glasgow University, the principle is the same:  Enquire/Consider/Decide/Join or Not Join. 

Each club has the opportunity to make its own decision.

Nobody will HAVE to pay. The ground improvements will only be necessary for licence requirements, which only applies from tier 5 upwards.

How many times does that have to be repeated ?

Mate, im pretty clued up on licensing requirements and that its only necessary for tier 5 and I know that theres nothing stopping them joining as is, BUT my point is that IF the work was done for licensing then Yoker could get licensed in tier 6 and get the financial benefit that would bring without having to actually do anything.

34 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Mate, im pretty clued up on licensing requirements and that its only necessary for tier 5 and I know that theres nothing stopping them joining as is, BUT my point is that IF the work was done for licensing then Yoker could get licensed in tier 6 and get the financial benefit that would bring without having to actually do anything.

Seems a bit unfair on Clydebank - I'd be looking to Yoker to repay their share over a few years out of the extra SFA money available to them if they got Licenced as well. Yoker would be mad not to go for Licencing.

Seems a bit unfair on Clydebank - I'd be looking to Yoker to repay their share over a few years out of the extra SFA money available to them if they got Licenced as well. Yoker would be mad not to go for Licencing.

At the end of the day, we want Licensing and this is the quickest way to do it. The folks at Yoker are good people and I dont think any Bankies fans etc expect them to do anything, theres no ill feeling. If they are able to get licensed then thats a good thing.

Future league structure By a narrow margin our member clubs have voted for a third season of Conferences below the Premier Division next season, with a fully hierarchical structure to take effect for season 2021-2022.

That's quite an important decision for those ERJFA clubs applying to join the EOSFL, as they will be able to join at Tier 7 rather than tier 8.

There's more to licencing than just ground improvements.

Yes, please see the point I made about being quite well aware of the licensing process mate. Im pretty sure if Yoker wanted to they could meet the other requirements. Basically they are all on the sfa website and any well run club should be able to meet the non physical criteria.

23 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:
Future league structure By a narrow margin our member clubs have voted for a third season of Conferences below the Premier Division next season, with a fully hierarchical structure to take effect for season 2021-2022.

That's quite an important decision for those ERJFA clubs applying to join the EOSFL, as they will be able to join at Tier 7 rather than tier 8.

Any of them dont come over now really are daft

Yes, please see the point I made about being quite well aware of the licensing process mate. Im pretty sure if Yoker wanted to they could meet the other requirements. Basically they are all on the sfa website and any well run club should be able to meet the non physical criteria.
I was making a general point, it was really aimed at you or anyone in particular. [emoji106]

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

At the end of the day, we want Licensing and this is the quickest way to do it. The folks at Yoker are good people and I dont think any Bankies fans etc expect them to do anything, theres no ill feeling. If they are able to get licensed then thats a good thing.

I might be wrong here is it not the ground that gets a licence if so then yoker would be to if they move to the wosl