Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

5 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The only statement so far that has been fully supportive of the SJFA has been from St Anthony's. Even Talbot's emphasised getting ready for licensing, which hinted at going in a different direction if the SJFA are unable to find a solution as is inevitable at this point.

The Ants statement is more to do with one the Blazers being from the Ants.

The problem for clubs like Brechin isn't how far the games are from their town but their players.
Most players come from the central belt and it's not uncommon for teams to train in the central belt twice a week and meet players for away games at the ground. They only see Brechin in for home matches.
If suddenly player needs to head to Banff and Buchan every week they just won't attract those players.
I can see why from Brechins point of view they would do all they can to get around this.

It’s how far for their current players.

As has already be alluded to it would likely be a massive turnover if they were to drop down a league and geographically where Brechin is the HFL makes sense, especially if in the next few years we see some of the weaker HFL teams get relegated and replaced with the likes of Banks O’Dee, Lochee etc.

Also, Cove went two seasons with Paul McManus travelling from Fife to play for Cove, Martin Scott travelling up for a year and Nairn having countless Central belt players in the glory days travelling to play including David Hannah, Callum Antell and Kyle Wilkie. Couple that with the fact Brechin would be the team in the Tayside area playing at the highest level they could get the best from that area, and guys from Aberdeen - many of who already travel to Buckie, Fraserburgh and Banff to play which are all the best part of an hour from Aberdeen.

Basically in that rambling post... the line doesn’t need moved.

15 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

You've got to keep in mind most of these statements aren't for people on PnB or even the media at large. They're for the specific clubs fans. You can imagine just about every committee has been asked by several people what all this pyramid stuff is about, and wondering what's happening.

They're just trying to keep their fans informed as best they can.

Fair point

Here's a twitter poll result of the fans of WRJFA clubs, with a decent sample of 588, that probably reflects reasonably accurately how entry to the pyramid is viewed.

Would you prefer your club to move into pyramid with or without SJFA?
With SJFA 43.5%
Without SJFA 42.9%
Just not at all 13.6%
588 votes · Final results

I read it as an acceptance that an overwhelming number of clubs will eventually opt for pyramid entry, although half of them would still like to see them enter as one. 

Edited by Footballfirst

25 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

I disagree. Carefully worded and guarded but the subtext is clear. We're too 'establishment' to give a wee V to TAJ.

It is polite and respectful and leaves the door open if there is some miraculous turnaround in SJFA ability to negotiate pyramid entry for next season.

Reading between the lines, the club is prepared to give SJFA the benefit of the doubt but if it cannot deliver, the WoS route will be taken to ensure that Pollok can play at the highest level possible, which is fair enough.

About right...?

6 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Here's a twitter poll result of the fans of WRJFA clubs, with a decent sample of 588, that probably reflects reasonably accurately how entry to the pyramid is viewed.

Would you prefer your club to move into pyramid with or without SJFA?
With SJFA 43.5%
Without SJFA 42.9%
Just not at all 13.6%
588 votes · Final results

I read it as an acceptance that an overwhelming number of clubs will eventually opt for pyramid entry, although half of them would still like to see them enter as one. 

Yes - if you did that poll a year ago canvassing the ERJFA clubs it would probably have generated similar results.

58 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

https://pollokfc.com/2020/02/19/club-statement-2/

The Lok statement has landed.

An excerpt being:

I was hoping for something stronger than that tbh, quite disappointing. Pollok should be well placed to take the lead given they aren't located in a "Junior heartland" and the nature of the support is more floating and second teamy than a lot of the Errshur villages.

Maybe I'm biased since I live a hop, skip and a jump away and Ich Bin Ein Pyramider.

I was hoping for something stronger than that tbh, quite disappointing. Pollok should be well placed to take the lead given they aren't located in a "Junior heartland" and the nature of the support is more floating and second teamy than a lot of the Errshur villages.
Maybe I'm biased since I live a hop, skip and a jump away and Ich Bin Ein Pyramider.

Lokloyal will be along shortly to tell you that all Pollok fans support Pollok and no one else.

In the Juniors any new applicant has their ground looked at months in advance of the AGM and knows if their ground is up to scratch. What was the process in the East two years ago. Although, I suppose a club could apply and leave off resigning from the Juniors until as late as possible.

It’s good to hear pollok are on board.

Them keeping the hand out to the SJFA is just trying to protect themselves if something utterly mental comes out.

They wanted the SJFA to succeed and heard all the talk from them but then fight night came and they’ve watched them come in unprepared and arrogant against the young upstarts, they watched them lose the first few rounds but thought surely they’ll come back but they never did, the SJFA spent the next few rounds on the defensive, struggling. And now as the fight comes to a close the LL have landed what looks to be a knockout blow. They’re on the canvas and the count is at 9...  The clubs are ready to leave but should the miracle happen they are keeping themselves in the position to claim they always were on their side.

Edited by parsforlife

3 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

It’s good to hear pollok are on board.

Them keeping the hand out to the SJFA is just trying to protect themselves if something utterly mental comes out.

They wanted the SJFA to succeed and heard all the talk from them but then fight night came and they’ve watched them come in unprepared and arrogant against the young upstarts, they watched them lose the first few rounds but thought surely they’ll come back but they never did, the SJFA spent the new few rounds on the defensive, struggling. And now as the fight comes to a close the LL have landed what looks to be a knockout blow. There’re on the canvas and the count is at 9...  The clubs are ready to leave but should the miracle happen they are keeping themselves in the position to claim they always were on their side.

Lovely prose. Ellipsis and everything!

2 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Can you actually see any west premier team leaving? I know for a fact just about every club has been in about it like a dug eating beetroot.

ffs Inanimate Carbon Rod, why did you have to say that about beetroot, I dont know this.
I'm watching two dogs Friday evening, I need to see if this beetroot thing works.

Someone mentioned about Pollok taking the lead. Pollok are just going with the flow, they're not taking the lead, they are looking at every avenue and making sure they are covering bases while not falling foul of any side incase it doesn't happen etc...  Even the die hard fans know that it may happen but they certainly don't want to be left behind if it does happen, that much is true.

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

9 hours ago, Marten said:

Maybe they'd want to go for an 18 team LL after that, with all clubs having floodlights that should be possible. 

For a couple of years, I have been advocating increasing the Lowland League from 16 to 18 clubs, to coincide with the West juniors joining the pyramid. I still of the opinion that this would be a positive change.

The advantages  are

(1)  by increasing the number of LL clubs to 18,  would be attractive to ambitious clubs seeking promotion from Tier 6, and it would reduce the potential log-jam, when the WoSL is up and running in the pyramid

(2) at present, 15 LL clubs are safe** from relegation from Tier 5 to Tier 6 each season, whereas in an 18 club structure, 16 Tier 5 clubs would be safe from relegation** to Tier 6 each season

(3) additional revenue would be received by each club, from having 34 league games per season, rather than 30, as at present.  Until this season, the Highland League has had 18 clubs, playing 34 league matches per season, without too much difficulty.

** except when the HFL champion club, replaces Club 42, from the lowland region (as per existing Tier 4/Tier 5 rules) , would gain an extra club (at tier 6) 

Edited by Robert James
typo error

For a couple of years, I have been advocating increasing the Lowland League from 16 to 18 clubs, to coincide with the West juniors joining the pyramid. I still of the opinion that this would be a positive change.
The advantages  are
(1)  by increasing the number of LL clubs to 18,  would be attractive to ambitious clubs seeking promotion from Tier 6, and it would reduce the potential log-jam, when the WoSL is up and running in the pyramid
(2) at present, 15 LL clubs are safe** from relegation each season, whereas in an 18 club structure, only 16 clubs would be relegated** each season
(3) additional revenue would be received by each club, from having 34 league games per season, rather than 30, as at present.  Until this season, the Highland League has had 18 clubs, playing 34 league matches per season, without too much difficulty.

** except when the HFL champion club, replaces Club 42, from the lowland region (as per existing Tier 4/Tier 5 rules) , would gain an extra club (at tier 6) 

16 clubs relegated that seems excessive [emoji23]