Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

5 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Remember that if (and it's still a big if currently) the line moved, the EoS aren't obligated to accept anyone as members.   To me, having the region extend from Brechin to Tweedmouth to Peebles is madness.

If Tayside teams are accepted in the EOS, regionalisation from tier 7 would make sense. There could be up to 80 teams if the entire ERJFA move & Eyemouth return. A structure like 16 - 16/16 - 16/16 would probably be the easiest, with both tiers 7 & 8 made up of a north (Tayside & Fife) & south division.

The ERJFA is moving towards being largely a Tayside only association, with maybe a few stragglers elsewhere.

You might find that once a west league is up and running, and hopefully the situation with the HL/NRJFA has progressed, then the LL and HL will turn their attentions to the "Tayside question" and work out a solution to offer those clubs Pyramid football.

The SFA are taking a back seat now and letting the leagues get on with dealing with issues that should have been dealt with long ago.

7 minutes ago, Marten said:

If Tayside teams are accepted in the EOS, regionalisation from tier 7 would make sense. There could be up to 80 teams if the entire ERJFA move & Eyemouth return. A structure like 16 - 16/16 - 16/16 would probably be the easiest, with both tiers 7 & 8 made up of a north (Tayside & Fife) & south division.

I did work out some time ago (it's on this thread somewhere) a set-up involving a 16 team Premier, two 16 team First Divisions North and South, and two 16 team Second Divisions North and South.  From memory it involved Tayside and Fife being classed as "North", and the rest as "South" or something like that.

It clearly can work, but whether it should get to that stage is questionable.  The line moving would be political rather than practical.

1 hour ago, Whitburn Vale said:

I have 2 Harthill committee men at my work,they were advised at a meeting last nite that all the Fife teams are moving to the EoS.

They are not making any commitment either way but the West of Scotland league was spoke about favourably.

Cmon we put 12 past them in a friendly with squad players and under 20s players. Total naievity if they go into that

1 hour ago, Marten said:

I know for sure that Lochee & Carnoustie (probably others as well) want to be in a league that feeds in the LL, not the HL. Larry has already said that to me.

Regardless of whether or not both clubs get what they want, at least the Brechin scenario will create clarity.

Leave the blinking line where it is.

Any northward movement of it will create an even bigger HL-LL feeder imbalance in terms of numbers of clubs.

Edited by Doonhamer1969

1 hour ago, Junior Pub League said:

The LL should refuse to allow entry for any club that was north of the line at the start of the season - Brechin et al can join the Highland league, as they should, what with being in the north of the country.

If this goes through then next season I'm proposing the  HL/LL dividing line follow the line of the Antonine Wall. 

It'll soon be at Brora the way things are going......

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Until, what a month ago, the SJFA were repping the East Region and were trying for their all in approach which meant East Region under the Lowland.

They were never going to have Tayside representation in the Highland pyramid discussion. It's a sign of defeat.

The Highland pyramid discussions are just the continuation of what began 18 months ago.

Are Highland Pyramid discussions ongoing ??

2 hours ago, Whitburn Vale said:

As far as BCFC are concerned it ain't going tae happen burnie nor should it.

Any travel issues north are null and void because of the new AWPR and Brechin are in northern Angus as it is!!

They would be crazy,it will be far easier to get back up out of the HL than what it would be to get out of the LL!!

Good point re easier route back in.

2 minutes ago, Doonhamer1969 said:

Are Highland Pyramid discussions ongoing ??

Theres a meeting soon between the HL,NRJFA and the NCL.

The NCL have always been pyramid friendly,feel the way forward would be to make 2 leagues below the HL on a regional basis.

Say Dundee,Angus Aberdeen city,Aberdeenshire sides in one league and Highland and Moray teams in another.

3 hours ago, Whitburn Vale said:

As far as BCFC are concerned it ain't going tae happen burnie nor should it.

Any travel issues north are null and void because of the new AWPR and Brechin are in northern Angus as it is!!

They would be crazy,it will be far easier to get back up out of the HL than what it would be to get out of the LL!!

The problem for clubs like Brechin isn't how far the games are from their town but their players.

Most players come from the central belt and it's not uncommon for teams to train in the central belt twice a week and meet players for away games at the ground. They only see Brechin in for home matches.

If suddenly player needs to head to Banff and Buchan every week they just won't attract those players.

I can see why from Brechins point of view they would do all they can to get around this.

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

The problem for clubs like Brechin isn't how far the games are from their town but their players.

Most players come from the central belt and it's not uncommon for teams to train in the central belt twice a week and meet players for away games at the ground. They only see Brechin in for home matches.

If suddenly player needs to head to Banff and Buchan every week they just won't attract those players.

I can see why from Brechins point of view they would do all they can to get around this.

But you're only changing it to suit 4 clubs within the pyramid.

There's been the likes of Peterhead who have had guys like Willie Gibson & Greg Fleming signed while being based in Dumfries area. Think they train in forfar(?). If Peterhead or Elgin get relegated back to the Highland they'd be changing how they operate as well.

3 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

But you're only changing it to suit 4 clubs within the pyramid.

There's been the likes of Peterhead who have had guys like Willie Gibson & Greg Fleming signed while being based in Dumfries area. Think they train in forfar(?). If Peterhead or Elgin get relegated back to the Highland they'd be changing how they operate as well.

I think it's tough shit.

I'm just saying I can understand why they are trying and it's not just an issue of the distance of Brechin to Wick v Brechin to Berwick.

Brechin are looking at a 3rd successive relegation. Clearly attracting players from the Central belt isn't working.

45 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Allowing Tayside into the LL creates a really unfair population bias, about 4 million of Scotlands 5.4 million residents live in the lowland area catchment and changing that would bring another 270k into the lowland league catchment, no way would parity be justified between HL and LL if that happened.

The major population centres in Scotland already have representation in the national leagues. If you breakdown the semi-professional structure that most people try to include into the pyramid (HL,LL SoS, EoS, NCL & SJFA) it isn't as dramatic as 4-1. Highland Area = 74. Lowland Area = 156. Just over 2-1.

9 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:
58 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Brechin are looking at a 3rd successive relegation. Clearly attracting players from the Central belt isn't working.

Yep have said this before. They are signing low ability players (for their division) and to be fair the other Angus clubs also look south but if they were playing HFL they'd attract the sort of player Cove are shedding.

Simple update to the Lowland League constitution

c) In the event of Club 42 losing the Pyramid Play-Off Match, it will be relegated to the SHFL League if its Registered Ground is located lots of their players live North of Degree of Latitude 56,4513N or to the SLFL if its Registered Ground is located South of Degree of Latitude 56,4513N  prefers and it shall thereafter comply with the rules and regulations of the relevant league.

Sorted 🙂