Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

50 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I went by council areas (I thought 32 was a good number to split) and I buggered up the map with the Borders who, I think, added to the South to make it more equal but the population's small enough it can stay East as well without making anything too lopsided.

Most of the population of Perth & Kinross is in the EoS/ LL territory too. 

Tbh, local authority boundaries areas are a poor way of dividing up the country. They're mostly arbitrary slices created by the Tories in the mid-90s to destroy the power of Strathclyde Regional Council and to gerrymander themselves some councils they thought they could control. They deprived Glasgow of its suburbs and scooped the poor people into big councils. Glasgow's boundaries are laughable, wriggling out to take in Easterhouse, Possil, Drumchapel, Castlemilk and Darnley but carving out Clarkston, Burnside, Ralston and Beasden. East Renfrewshire is a joke, so too is East Dunbartonshire. Dundee and Edinburgh have similar. 

They're also awkward chunks to work with because they're too big.

IMO it's better to slice it up using transport routes. For example, in your map putting Cumbernauld in the south but Glasgow in the west doesn't work as they'd be passing through Glasgow to most of their matches. 

Anyway. This is waaaaay off topic. 

47 minutes ago, Dev said:

Some consider that the SoS isn't strong enough for Tier 6 e.g. at the end of the season it's not going to be won by a licenced club or that its' champions are licenced but are too weak to win a play-off to the Lowland League.

If that is the case, say, nine times out of ten, what does it matter? They won't be stopping clubs from the EoS or the new WoS from winning promotion will they  and, if they did, then there is a just case for saying that the club they beat wasn't good enough!

What the SoS does is to provide opportunity for clubs, and referees, and coaches, etc etc from its' area to progress e.g. clubs to the Lowland League (if they can/if they wish to). It also provides a platform for local clubs to play at a reasonable level and gain an SFA club licence - if they wish to and if they can raise the funds. If clubs from this area are sufficiently well run so that they can achieve licenced status they can't be that bad!

In any case why take this away from clubs located at the extremities of the country? There's no need. 

Exactly.

Got to laugh at this thread sometimes!

Less than a month ago we had supporters of west juniors unhappy about the prospect as they had a great setup and now we have the same people upset that SoS would be at the same tier as EoS and a potential WoS. Why?! The argument is that the SoS isn’t as strong and they are all ‘rural pub teams’. So why is that an issue?

You are a supporter of a club like Clydebank [picked as the loudest supporter of pyramid in the west and nothing else]. To get promoted you need to beat the winner of EoS and winner of SoS in a three way play-off like the EoS play off of 18/19. Why would it bother you that one game is against a team that you consider so weak?! That’s sure a bonus! It means you have to win your league and win a one off game plus a game against a team you already labelled ‘a pub team’.

The same goes for the perceived strength of the highland league and it being on par with this all encompassing south of the Tay LL. As long as the winners of the LL and HFL are relatively competitive for the opportunity to then be competitive against club 42 then the pyramid works!

2 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Perhaps they expect the SoSL to be demoted to tier 7 or even 8 in due course?

There is nothing in any mandate that this is going to happen that I heard about and all the associations have to vote on this are far as I'm aware so that's the only reason why the SOS would move down one tier or two

Only one club and one reserve team could move to the WoS, dont think it weakens it that much.
Still 12 clubs, plus one reserve team. Also the likelihood that Dalbeattie or Gretna could get relegated into it in the next couple of years, so 14 teams is fine.

I can remember the SoSL functioning 6 teams.

21 hours ago, Che Dail said:

Why even debate Forfar and Elgin? They're not significant in the great scheme of things and in my opinion do not really gain anything by playing in a national league.

I was going to write quite a long rebuttal here over the debate that’s being going on today but there’s been some good points made and I don’t want to derail things much further.    I’ll take this point tho cos I think it forms the basis of the argument, you want to ignore these teams and what works for them for ideas of national side or the coefficient which don’t matter to these clubs.

its been mentioned but it’s really worth reinforcing, the pyramid needs set up so it works the clubs that play at each level and national football for the clubs in league 1/2 absolutely works, it worked a century ago and it’s working now, i mentioned earlier that it’s not up debate and it’s not NONE of those clubs would change it and nothing will change without them wanting it

EDIT-  to try and bring things back on topic if you see the tweets rosyth are putting out the they look 100% in for EoS

Edited by parsforlife

2 hours ago, gogsy said:

Wonder what the big team of all those Talbot supporters is , because that sounds like the supporters of a SPFL team on a smaller scale.

Mine's Grimsby Town. Hardly big in the grand scheme of things?

56 minutes ago, pyramidiot said:

You are a supporter of a club like Clydebank [picked as the loudest supporter of pyramid in the west and nothing else]. To get promoted you need to beat the winner of EoS and winner of SoS in a three way play-off like the EoS play off of 18/19. Why would it bother you that one game is against a team that you consider so weak?! That’s sure a bonus! It means you have to win your league and win a one off game plus a game against a team you already labelled ‘a pub team’.

Probably the worst example you could have used. I don’t know a single bankies fan who has an issue with where the SoS teams are in the pyramid. We simply want a route available that allows us to improve to whatever level we can.

Probably the worst example you could have used. I don’t know a single bankies fan who has an issue with where the SoS teams are in the pyramid. We simply want a route available that allows us to improve to whatever level we can.

Haha, I knew I would pick the wrong team as an example - but let that not detract from the point.

There are people here who have gone from saying they don’t want to be in the pyramid to now moaning that other teams need to be moved to another level. I see no requirement for SoS to be moved to a lower tier. I am almost certain it’s not as strong as EoS or a WoS but it doesn’t impact the teams who join the WoS or EoS in the slightest.

Sorry for upsetting any bankies... the example was arbitrary!

19 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Didn't work for teams in the old third division in the 1920's.

It didn’t but that was when the SFL got over excited.  If worked well with 40 clubs before the third division and it worked well with 40 clubs after,  it’s about that number that works for us as a nation.  

4 hours ago, Doonhamer1969 said:

Why should , say , a current West League One side moving over to the new WoS get an easier ride than an ambitious SoS team ?

They shouldn't. They should be treated equally. By putting them in leagues with each other, finding out who is best and promoting/relegating accordingly.

4 hours ago, GordonS said:

Most of the population of Perth & Kinross is in the EoS/ LL territory too. 

Tbh, local authority boundaries areas are a poor way of dividing up the country. They're mostly arbitrary slices created by the Tories in the mid-90s to destroy the power of Strathclyde Regional Council and to gerrymander themselves some councils they thought they could control. They deprived Glasgow of its suburbs and scooped the poor people into big councils. Glasgow's boundaries are laughable, wriggling out to take in Easterhouse, Possil, Drumchapel, Castlemilk and Darnley but carving out Clarkston, Burnside, Ralston and Beasden. East Renfrewshire is a joke, so too is East Dunbartonshire. Dundee and Edinburgh have similar. 

They're also awkward chunks to work with because they're too big.

IMO it's better to slice it up using transport routes. For example, in your map putting Cumbernauld in the south but Glasgow in the west doesn't work as they'd be passing through Glasgow to most of their matches. 

Anyway. This is waaaaay off topic. 

Offtopic indeed, but I agree with you about the madness of local authority boundaries. Look at Dundee for example. Invergowrie is Perth & Kinross, yet they use many Dundee local services and are very much focused on Dundee, far more so than Perth. I live in Lochee, but close to the boundary with Invergowrie. When I take a train to Glasgow, it's actually the easiest to walk to Invergowrie station and take the train from there (although the service from Invergowrie is very limited, but that's a different discussion and is apparently changing in the near future), that's way quicker than going into Dundee city centre first and then taking a train from there.