Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

Should mention that if/when this WoS get off the ground, Scotland will probably have the strongest 6th Tier in World football.
England has some full time clubs in their 6th tier, do they not? And I'd be very, very, very surprised if our tier 6 was better than that in the Netherlands, Germany or France. Or Brazil, come to think of it.

15 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

Should mention that if/when this WoS get off the ground, Scotland will probably have the strongest 6th Tier in World football.

York, Chester, Kidderminster, Darlington, Hereford are all in tier 6 in one half of the country down south.

But yeah Little Mid Creetowndaleshire High School in the Dumfries pub league are best in the world.

6 minutes ago, GordonS said:
21 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

England has some full time clubs in their 6th tier, do they not? And I'd be very, very, very surprised if our tier 6 was better than that in the Netherlands, Germany or France. Or Brazil, come to think of it.

I'd be surprised if our sixth tier was stronger than San Marinos.

5 hours ago, glensmad said:

I hate the term "non league" with a passion, as in reality we are all playing in leagues.I

I agree it’s a shite expression. I believe in England it was originally non-League (note the capital) meaning outside the Football League.

5 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

York, Chester, Kidderminster, Darlington, Hereford are all in tier 6 in one half of the country down south.

But yeah Little Mid Creetowndaleshire High School in the Dumfries pub league are best in the world.

They're Tier 5 surely?

Okay here me out here for a second, Scotland benefits quite well in this because we a) have smaller league and b) regionalise very low down in our pyramid.

For example 42 clubs play in Two Leagues in Portugal, but play in four in Scotland.

England are the only country that could probably be regarded as better than Scotland and even then Kelty Hearts gave a very good account of themselves against Solihull Moors this season (both were top of Tier 5 at the time)

The German sixth tier is down at the state or Laender level: It is the top level of the state leagues before promotion to the Oberligas. The current Tier 6 leaders in Berlin are Sparta Lichtenberg and play there games in what looks like a local council 3G https://www.sv-sparta.de/video/freistoss_johannisthal.mp4 Website here: http://www.sv-sparta.de/

The French sixth tier is down at the Province level and very little info can be found. One random team I found at that level was US Montagnarde of the Breton league. Looks like they get under 100 to there games 

In Spain there are 620 teams at tier 5, so the level at Tier 6 is going to be worse than Scotland. In Italy there are 866 teams in the 6th Tier, playing below a 5th tier of 464.

I could go on.

I agree.

That works right to the top.

Premiership, Championship then League 1.

Utter nonsense.

I hate the term "non league" with a passion, as in reality we are all playing in leagues.
I also hate the term "junior" football, as people outside Scotland don't understand it and associate it with kids' football.
I use the terms "semi professional" or "lower league" football, which everybody understands all over the world.

5 hours ago, glensmad said:

That's why it will be so much easier to say "I support a semi-pro team at tier X in the Scottish pyramid", rather than "I support a junior team, but that's not kids, let me explain, it's complicated, you see it works like this........."

I say semi-pro ... its easily understood 

I agree.

That works right to the top.

Premiership, Championship then League 1.

Utter nonsense.
As usual Scotland just copied England in that regard, thinking it was trendy and not actually realising the reason that England brought in those names. The 2nd tier in England was called the "Championship" because it was the top tier administered by the English Football League, below the old "Premiership" which was a separate company altogether under the English FA.

That wasn't the case in Scotland when we stupidly copied the names, and then the West Region juniors did likewise which was cringeworthy in my opinion.

Having the 3rd and 4th tiers of any league system called "League 1" and "League 2" is just stupid, in my opinion.

I don't see teams from the East as being better than those we currently play. On the contrary given our record against the old Eastern Juniors over the last decade or so there would be no palpitations amongst the Talbot support should we end up playing them in league football. 

But the record v LL teams isn’t that great is it? Four ties as far as I’m aware and that’s been one win at the first time of asking (Kelty), a draw and replay win (BSC when they were still playing at Maryhill) and defeats to Edinburgh City and Cumbernauld Colts.

My firm belief is that Talbot are a feared force and often start a goal ahead psychologically against other junior sides or those that were junior before. Not many LL teams fit that criteria and won’t have an issue with this so would be interesting to see how they’d fair if promoted at some point.

10 minutes ago, surely not! said:

But the record v LL teams isn’t that great is it? Four ties as far as I’m aware and that’s been one win at the first time of asking (Kelty), a draw and replay win (BSC when they were still playing at Maryhill) and defeats to Edinburgh City and Cumbernauld Colts.

My firm belief is that Talbot are a feared force and often start a goal ahead psychologically against other junior sides or those that were junior before. Not many LL teams fit that criteria and won’t have an issue with this so would be interesting to see how they’d fair if promoted at some point.

Every one away though (apart from the replay obviously)

45 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

Okay here me out here for a second, Scotland benefits quite well in this because we a) have smaller league and b) regionalise very low down in our pyramid.

For example 42 clubs play in Two Leagues in Portugal, but play in four in Scotland.

England are the only country that could probably be regarded as better than Scotland and even then Kelty Hearts gave a very good account of themselves against Solihull Moors this season (both were top of Tier 5 at the time)

The German sixth tier is down at the state or Laender level: It is the top level of the state leagues before promotion to the Oberligas. The current Tier 6 leaders in Berlin are Sparta Lichtenberg and play there games in what looks like a local council 3G https://www.sv-sparta.de/video/freistoss_johannisthal.mp4 Website here: http://www.sv-sparta.de/

The French sixth tier is down at the Province level and very little info can be found. One random team I found at that level was US Montagnarde of the Breton league. Looks like they get under 100 to there games 

In Spain there are 620 teams at tier 5, so the level at Tier 6 is going to be worse than Scotland. In Italy there are 866 teams in the 6th Tier, playing below a 5th tier of 464.

I could go on.

You don't say