Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

17 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Ask occasional fans if they've heard of the Junior Cup, obviously they have, they'll have been to finals and watched on TV.

Ask them if they've heard of the South Challenge Cup and few will know what it is.

The name recognition is really valuable IMO, it would be nice if a way could be found to retain it. I fear not though.

ETA: Doesn't help that my club haven't had a run in any cups since switching to the seniors, of course. We chose a bad time to be a bit shite...

The Junior Cup will go on. Largs had about 2,000 at last year's final. If they got to the final of the South Challenge Cup there would likely be less than 500 travelling. How many did last year's final of the South Challenge Cup get?

12 hours ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

Nothing like casting aspersions there! As someone who would be drunk at Scottish ties I had some great away days and some great moments in the Scottish. Anything that should bring in extra punters should be welcomed sober or not.

I also disagree with clubs getting it out of the way (maybe it was at Pollok which maybe says more about them as a club) but most other clubs didn’t view it this way.

Drinking on an away trip is a must!

Still think the Junior Cup is worth keeping and turning into a general non-league cup, it has a lot more prestige than any of the other various competitions talked about to replace it.

Edited by Cameron Wilson

3 minutes ago, Cameron Wilson said:

Still think the Junior Cup is worth keeping and turning into a general non-league cup, it has a lot more prestige than any of the other various competitions talked about it to replace it.

Absolutely, it's a trophy teams would want to win. Not judging tournaments like the South Challenge Cup, but it doesn't give off the true feeling of prestige that the Junior Cup would.

1 hour ago, theesel1994 said:

The Junior Cup will go on. Largs had about 2,000 at last year's final. If they got to the final of the South Challenge Cup there would likely be less than 500 travelling. How many did last year's final of the South Challenge Cup get?

The question is not how many did the South Challenge Cup final get, the question is how many would it get if it were something like Talbot v Bonnyrigg. IMO quite a lot, but less than half of what it would be if it were called the Junior Cup.

The Junior Cup will be a relic if there is a repeat in the west of what happened in the east, unless it can be transitioned into a new structure.

On the bright side anyone of reasonable intelligence reading that will take away from it that the WoS plan is definitely happening because the PWG process broke down and that clubs left behind are likely to face the prospect of winding up like those in the east did, i.e. glorified amateur status. He may not like what's happening but he provides no clear argument for not going along with it.

Beneficial to who?

You can’t blame them, as much as we enjoy the gossip not everything needs to be done publicly.
i agree with the LL/EoS stance of keeping things confidential but I do feel it would be beneficial towards the end of the ‘notes of interest’/ ‘start of formal applications‘ period it would be beneficial to announce the number of clubs that have been in contact, possibly with a breakdown of the leagues they have been from(though that might be too close to the line)

21 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I'm not convinced the WoS should be going for a conference system. The conferences in the EoS were borne out of circumstance because only a handful of clubs were expected to apply and they were explicitly expecting to apply for a spot in Tier 6 alongside the existing clubs. Once the numbers got so high, the conferences were the only way to really satisfy those requirements.

This time around, there is no existing league and it's basically being created from scratch. I'm not sure the applicants have been promised a spot at Tier 6, and almost every club who moves across is going to be coming from the existing Junior structure. For me, it would therefore make sense to just immediately go for a two/three division structure and use this season's placings in the West Region to determine the make up of those divisions. As an existing Tier 6 team, Bonnyton could slot in at that level, while any amateur applicants would surely be happy enough to join lower down the food chain anyway.

Exactly.

If you leave an association you don’t have the right to take it’s main competition with you... bit of arrogance with some posts already, also the flavour of this thread is that if anyone has the audacity to even suggest something maybe isn’t the best idea then they are personally insulted or clubs are “embarrassments” or worse. Bit of calm needed and respect shown to all whatever path they choose.

50 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

IMG_0190.jpg

If it weren’t for the grammar and spelling, this could have come from TJ.

Wikipedia entry:

During his time playing in the juniors, Parks became a sports journalist, and worked for the daily record. In a combined role as a player and journalist, he described the goings on at firs park in his weekly column Parks Life.

Parks tried and trusted method of journaling is to throw excrement at his computer screen. Parks has since returned to journalism, writing for the Daily Record

23 minutes ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Nothing about Broxburn taking 1600 to Paisley in the Scottish cup or Linlithgow taking on near rivals Falkirk at a packed Prestonfield,lazy journalism of the highest order!!

Plus Penicuik playing at Firhill after beating Stenhousemuir and Bonnyrigg Rose at home against Clyde after beating Montrose. Those two games drew numbers of fans for the ex-junior club that were comparable to a junior cup final appearance in the present day, so the comparison with the south challenge cup is only part of the story.

1 hour ago, Moomintroll said:
1 hour ago, EdinburghBlue said:
IMG_0190.thumb.jpg.48477d953497105f5ec2be49b0595c2e.jpg

If it weren’t for the grammar and spelling, this could have come from TJ.

Parks is a bitter moron tbf.

So playing in the WOSL will be traveling more than playing in the West Premier, and no amateur teams have joined the pyramid, guys a clown, maybe the pyramid will save amateur football

26 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

He might have played junior but I doubt he has given reconstruction much thought. It looks like someone has called in a favour.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gordon-parks-pyramid-system-just-1968751

I stand corrected, the link is from a similar article from 2013. I still think he is writing from the point of view of someone else though. His erstwhile colleague Iain King was a supporter of the other side of the argument and previously involved at East Kilbride.