Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

36 minutes ago, Enigma said:

If a West of Scotland league was set up and BSC Glasgow found themselves to be relegated would they go East or West?

Half way between Glesca and Alloa ;)

(To be serious, its a fair question. Time Glesca Cooncil was helping find a suitable place for BSC to set up home)

SOS has supported the pyramid since the beginning and that shouldn't be ignored. But they do represent a much smaller slice of the population and everyone knows the quality of the league would not be at a par of other tier 6 regions.

I think one possible solution once any west region is finally included in the pyramid, is to  weight the play-offs to reflect the number of clubs in each region so the region with more clubs in it has more chances to get promoted to the LL. For example if the LL ever goes to two-up two-down, the SOS champions would have to beat both the west and east champions to get promoted to the LL, if they won both games they'd be fully deserving and the east and west would play off for the second promotion spot.

8 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Caley Braves? They won it with a bunch of French students and moved to the Central Belt as soon as they could, turning over the entire team who won the pub league. They won the league, hardly an argument for it being strong if a freakshow club can pitch up and finish ahead of "Mid Annandale" and "Dumfries YMCA

I'm sure this French students will be enamoured with your description of them as a freakshow.....

You're simply wrong anyway. The Edusport team that won the SoS only had about 4 French players on average in it's usual starting 11, the process of separating the academy and the first team had already started.

30 minutes ago, Cameron Wilson said:

SOS has supported the pyramid since the beginning and that shouldn't be ignored. But they do represent a much smaller slice of the population and everyone knows the quality of the league would not be at a par of other tier 6 regions.

I think one possible solution once any west region is finally included in the pyramid, is to  weight the play-offs to reflect the number of clubs in each region so the region with more clubs in it has more chances to get promoted to the LL. For example if the LL ever goes to two-up two-down, the SOS champions would have to beat both the west and east champions to get promoted to the LL, if they won both games they'd be fully deserving and the east and west would play off for the second promotion spot.

The LL will have to go to 2 up, 2 down if a WoS is coming on board.

In principal I agree with the concept of weighting, but a simpler way is a 3 way play off as they did last year in the EoS.

In practical terms, if one of the clubs isn't licenced, no play off required, straightforward 2 up, 2 down.

7 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I dont understand everyone’s rush to demote the sosl etc, why should it even be considered right now?

This "rush" is totally unnecessary.

The primary aim now is to establish a senior West League, in time for 2020/21. Unleashing an attack on the status of the SoSL is totally unnecessary, and is another attempt at  causing confusion, and delay in the extension of the pyramid to into the west region.

The standard of the SoSL has improved in recent years, and whilst it is clearly not as strong as either the WRJFA or the EoSL, this is not the right time to start another upheaval. Also, the SoSL may be further strengthened if Dalbeattie Star and Gretna (both licensed SFA members) are relegated from a strenthened Lowland League in (say) the next 3 years or so.

And, IF the fixed boundary enthusiasts on this forum, get their way, a league swap between Bonnyton Thistle and Kello Rovers would be required. Of course, this assumes that the 'powers that be', can force clubs to change leagues against their will.  Can they ???  

Next season it could even be regionalised so that clubs in the sosl could be incorporated into the pyramid at 6 with the wosl, could have regional conferences to decide the make up of the west for the season after. Id suggest to increase numbers Girvan, Craigmark, Kello, Glenafton and Talbot would be best placed to form a ‘south conference’ league clubs, then a Glasgow/Lanarkshire/Dunbartonshire conference and one incorporating the ayrshire/renfrewshire/inverclyde teams. The top 6 from each could form an 18 team wosl premier, means the season after that a regional structure would be ready..?

Back to the border issue.

Have I missed anyone suggesting more flexible borders? In that case, if they join either, the likes of Shotts, Fauldhoue etc could be laterally switched, depending on all promotion and relegation, to keep the regional division numbers even.

I'm sure this French students will be enamoured with your description of them as a freakshow.....
You're simply wrong anyway. The Edusport team that won the SoS only had about 4 French players on average in it's usual starting 11, the process of separating the academy and the first team had already started.
Incorrect, they were 99% French in their last south season.

The SoSL's continued participation at tier 6 is a non-issue along the lines of fretting that the World Cup would be devalued if Scotland qualified for it.

As things stand and for the foreseeable future they're extremely unlikely to mount a challenge for any promotion to the LL, with their champions almost certain to be comfortably taken care of in a playoff by any team capable of being the champions of either the EoS or any putative WoS.

If the leagues finished today, this season's playoff would be between Bo'ness United and Threave Rovers. I know who my money would be on.

Leave them be at tier 6 - all we're doing otherwise is muddying the waters.

Edited by Hillonearth

20 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

The SoSL's continued participation at tier 6 is a non-issue along the lines of fretting that the World Cup would be devalued if Scotland qualified for it.

As things stand and for the foreseeable future they're extremely unlikely to mount a challenge for any promotion to the LL, with their champions almost certain to be comfortably taken care of in a playoff by any team capable of being the champions of either the EoS or any putative WoS.

If the leagues finished today, this season's playoff would be between Bo'ness United and Threave Rovers. I know who my money would be on.

Leave them be at tier 6 - all we're doing otherwise is muddying the waters.

There is the small issue of two weeks of the fixture calendar being taken up by these one sided play off games...

32 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

The SoSL's continued participation at tier 6 is a non-issue along the lines of fretting that the World Cup would be devalued if Scotland qualified for it...

The main thing to take from the news from Fauldhouse is that they may be about to put in an application for pyramid entry. That's a positive development that should be encouraged.

42 minutes ago, Brother Grimm said:
3 hours ago, Doonhamer1969 said:

Incorrect, they were 99% French in their last south season.

Correct  - here's their apps stats from 16-17:

Ahmed Bouchentouf 28 1
Alexandre Lebrisse 1 0
Andrew McDonald 8 0
Bandiougou Toure 1 1
Bastien Brunet 28 1
Benjamin Ngongo 5 0
Claudio Coelho 24 2
Colin Cameron 2 0
Craig Johnston 1 0
Eric Tshimbangu 1 0
Fakataulavelua Teva 2 1
Francisco Gomes 7 1
Fraser Stewart 0 0
Frederic Lacroix 23 12
Gautier Moutou 4 0
Gerrard Lunday 1 0
Granit Zejnulllahi 12 0
Gregory David 28 3
Guillaume Prevot 6 0
Hoareau Luidgi 18 0

Hugo Boisseaux 0 0
Ilies Belkacem 21 0
Jason Malin 17 5
Jean-Mike Bonjotin 14 5
Jeremy Burlet-Parendel 4 1
Jeremy Djebbar 15 7
Julien Gregoire 4 0
Laurence Jeffrey 11 9
Louis Besnard 10 1
Luca Agati 7 2
Makendi Clitus 3 2
Morgan Reid 1 0
Mouenis El Afia 5 2
Moussa Tounkara 13 0
Munur Solak 3 1
Nathan Bodusseau 14 9
Nicolas Manier 2 2
Odilon Faria Da Cruz 29 0
Quentin Pereira 14 5
Regan McLaren 2 1
Richard Jacquenet 17 3
Ryan McCann 15 0
Steve Kyenge 28 0
Theo Rodrigues 3 1
Tony Ribeiro 6 1
Ugo Hussenet 3 1
Warren Neme 16 6
Yacine Boualem 8 3
Yoan Massuet 19 1
Yoann Clowez 0 0
Yves Nyami 3 0

Edited by cmontheloknow

6 minutes ago, never been to scotland said:

There is the small issue of two weeks of the fixture calendar being taken up by these one sided play off games...

That's why I equated it with qualifying for the World Cup. We know Malta, Luxembourg, Leichtenstein ad nauseam are never going to qualify, we know Scotland and a host of other teams are more likely than not qualifying either. Realistically, a lot of games in that competition could be classed as a waste of time.

It's the same here...you and I both know that nine times out of ten the South team will get righteously scudded in any playoff.

There's always that tenth time though, and it would be wrong to deny them that chance.

Next season it could even be regionalised so that clubs in the sosl could be incorporated into the pyramid at 6 with the wosl, could have regional conferences to decide the make up of the west for the season after. Id suggest to increase numbers Girvan, Craigmark, Kello, Glenafton and Talbot would be best placed to form a ‘south conference’ league clubs, then a Glasgow/Lanarkshire/Dunbartonshire conference and one incorporating the ayrshire/renfrewshire/inverclyde teams. The top 6 from each could form an 18 team wosl premier, means the season after that a regional structure would be ready..?

This would be a great way of putting Talbot off from applying to tier 6. They want to be playing the likes of Pollok, Clydebank, Kilwinning Rangers and Irvine Meadow, not winning 10-0 most weeks against Mid Annandale and Dumfries YMCA. That was the reason they didn't apply for their license a couple of years ago.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

This would be a great way of putting Talbot off from applying to tier 6. They want to be playing the likes of Pollok, Clydebank, Kilwinning Rangers and Irvine Meadow, not winning 10-0 most weeks against Mid Annandale and Dumfries YMCA. That was the reason they didn't apply for their license a couple of years ago.

They beat Kilwinning 6-1

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This would be a great way of putting Talbot off from applying to tier 6. They want to be playing the likes of Pollok, Clydebank, Kilwinning Rangers and Irvine Meadow, not winning 10-0 most weeks against Mid Annandale and Dumfries YMCA. 

Tbh, I got the impression from most on here they'd quite like that.

I agree in principle that D&G is too small an area to be at tier 6 and it might be better for ambitious clubs in the future to be in tier 7 as the step up to the LL play-offs could be too much of a change in standard compared to the opposition they face during the regular season, meaning they could likely hit a glass ceiling. Being at tier 7 gives an ambitious club the chance to get up to the West Premiership and further improve until they're able to make the LL.

However, I'm uneasy about just demoting a whole league in one go, a league that has been very important for getting a pyramid going. It's also not fair on ambitious clubs there are currently. In my opinion, should there be enough WoSFL applications to go to conferences, it would be fairest to invite SoSFL clubs to join the conferences as well. The ones that don't want to, just continue playing at tier 7. The ones that do want, get a chance to secure a spot in the new WoS Premier. If they are really as weak as some people suggest it's no problem. They'll just re-join the SoSFL at tier 7 for the season after. But at least they'll have had their chance to secure their tier 6 WoS spot.