Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

32 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I think it became inevitable a couple of years ago when the East region exodus happened.

That the senior folk in the SJFA still cannot see it, and are actively trying to prevent it, just confirms that they are men out of time.

If there were senior folk in the SJFA, the juniors would already be in the pyramid...

If there were senior folk in the SJFA, the juniors would already be in the pyramid...

Well played sir. I actually get the feeling that in the meetings of the Junior hierarchy they deliberately refrain from calling anyone a ‘senior’ figure and would refer to each other as the ‘gentleman with the most long standing experience within this environment’

11 minutes ago, surely not! said:

Well played sir. I actually get the feeling that in the meetings of the Junior hierarchy they deliberately refrain from calling anyone a ‘senior’ figure and would refer to each other as the ‘gentleman with the most long standing experience within this environment’

You might be right, they seem to do things differently in the juniors. (Not meant to be disparaging.) I never latched on to the juniors, think I only ever saw one game, I was more of a one for going to Dons' reserve matches when the first team were away (if I wasn't going to the away game).

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It can't be emphasised enough how much the Juniors have misplayed their hand over the last decade or so. At any point up until 2013, if the SJFA had engaged properly they could have quite easily had control of Scottish football from the 6th tier down, in addition to being instrumental in setting up the 5th tier Lowland Division. Most likely we would have seen a merger of the EoS and SoS (and maybe the NCL) into the existing Junior structure, with the whole thing probably mostly being administered by the SJFA.

Instead they buried their heads in the sand and let others basically pick away at their position of strength, and now there is the very real possibility that we're going to have 6 (or even 7 or 8?) tiers in the Highlands and Lowlands organised and set up by other bodies, with the Juniors whittled down to a small band of die hards with almost no power.

Kelty have essentially switched off the life support machine for Junior football by taking one simple step.

My word.

Just now, Peters Wyngarde said:

Kelty have essentially switched off the life support machine for Junior football by taking one simple step.

My word.

And then to think that if the SJFA had listened to Kelty's requests back then, exactly what @craigkillie described would likely have happened: the SJFA would most likely have controlled level 6 and below all over Scotland by now...

27 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It can't be emphasised enough how much the Juniors have misplayed their hand over the last decade or so. At any point up until 2013, if the SJFA had engaged properly they could have quite easily had control of Scottish football from the 6th tier down, in addition to being instrumental in setting up the 5th tier Lowland Division. Most likely we would have seen a merger of the EoS and SoS (and maybe the NCL) into the existing Junior structure, with the whole thing probably mostly being administered by the SJFA.

Instead they buried their heads in the sand and let others basically pick away at their position of strength, and now there is the very real possibility that we're going to have 6 (or even 7 or 8?) tiers in the Highlands and Lowlands organised and set up by other bodies, with the Juniors whittled down to a small band of die hards with almost no power.

In a way this might have been the best thing to happen to breakaway junior clubs, theyve only show themselves as an association that lacks leadership, vision and progressiveness. A fresh start will be for the better of the game.

42 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The EoSFL were at a low ebb in 2014/15, clinging on with I think 11 members (after Craigroyston and Easthouses left). The Pyramid was looking very perilous below the LL.

At that point I wanted the SJFA/ERJFA to show a bit of foresight, offer a merger to the EoS and bring all east clubs into tier 6/7/8, with the WRJFA moving in to fill the void in the west.  Not quite an open goal, but very much achievable with a bit of work and willingness.

They weren't in the slightest bit interested, as Kelty subsequently found out when they broached the subject, so they upped sticks and left. Then Dalkeith, and the rest is history.  there will be further moves in the east for next season, the shoe will be on the other foot.

We're heading for a better conclusion now, the leadership at the SJFA and the Regions have shown themselves up to be woefully inadequate and out of touch. You wouldn't want them running anything.

Should be clearer later this week if/when the LL make an announcement on accepting applications for a new west senior division/league for the 2020/21 season. Once that process starts it's definitively game over for SJFA entry into the pyramid and clubs in the east and west regions will need to make individual decisions on what to do next.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

26 minutes ago, Boswelldriver said:

Just putting this out here

The more this topic is argued on here the more inept all involved appear to be.

After 1000's of posts no once is any clearer wtf is actually happening

The only parties who look inept are the SJFA, Petrie and Maxwell 

29 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

The only parties who look inept are the SJFA, Petrie and Maxwell 

I'm still convinced that the Option Z thing was used by Petrie and or Maxwell as a means of taking the SJFA out the picture and making the matter a whole lot simpler.

4 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The plan seems to be to keep the SoS at tier 5 beside the new WoS that the LL appear to be organising and the existing EoS. Suspect it would only be Bonnyton Thistle and the Caledonian Braves reserve team moving to the new WoS.

SOS is tier 6.

6 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I'm still convinced that the Option Z thing was used by Petrie and or Maxwell as a means of taking the SJFA out the picture and making the matter a whole lot simpler.

Looks that way. In the TAJ version of events the meeting ends with Iain McQueen asking the SFA what happens next three times. The two SJFA blazers at the meeting appear to have been gobsmacked that the PWG would simply be wrapped up at that point, because it provides the time and clarity needed for a new west division/league to be launched by next season and leaves them completely out of the loop on the pyramid.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

30 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Rod said "Zed's Dead", before wheeling off into the sunset:

giphy.gif

Edited by Che Dail

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

You may  be correct about the EoSL and SoSL having been absorbed into the juniors...... had the SJFA reacted favourably to the introduction of the pyramid at the outset.  But they didn't, and history has determined otherwise.

However a merger of the NCL and the North Juniors (as you have referred to), would not have happened in my view. Neither of these 2 leagues want to combine. Travelling distances in this vast region, and costs would have been prohibitive. 

No junior club is situated in the North & West Highlands, or Islands, nor in the city of Inverness.   Similarly no NCL club is located in the North East/Aberdeen region, so there is no overlap. 

The quality of North Caley football has improved in recent years, as has its organisation and profile, and there is no reason why this won't continue. Furthermore, it is rumoured on the  P&B NCL forum, that the league could have two new clubs joining for next season.  Also, Alness Utd (which took a year out, owing primarily to ground problems), are apparently planning to return in 2020/21. The NCL has reacted positively to joining the pyramid, alongside the juniors, providing they remain as separate leagues .

Is the rumour correct that the NRJFA is now reconsidering its'  disinterest in joining the pyramid'  ?  

Guest Moomintroll
Just putting this out here

The more this topic is argued on here the more inept all involved appear to be.

After 1000's of posts no once is any clearer wtf is actually happening

I respectfully disagree, TJ has played an absolute blinder continuing to draw a salary while fattening his eventual redundancy payment. Fair play to him for pulling it off.

22 minutes ago, Robert James said:

You may  be correct about the EoSL and SoSL having been absorbed into the juniors...... had the SJFA reacted favourably to the introduction of the pyramid at the outset.  But they didn't, and history has determined otherwise.

However a merger of the NCL and the North Juniors (as you have referred to), would not have happened in my view. Neither of these 2 leagues want to combine. Travelling distances in this vast region, and costs would have been prohibitive. 

No junior club is situated in the North & West Highlands, or Islands, nor in the city of Inverness.   Similarly no NCL club is located in the North East/Aberdeen region, so there is no overlap. 

The quality of North Caley football has improved in recent years, as has its organisation and profile, and there is no reason why this won't continue. Furthermore, it is rumoured on the  P&B NCL forum, that the league could have two new clubs joining for next season.  Also, Alness Utd (which took a year out, owing primarily to ground problems), are apparently planning to return in 2020/21. The NCL has reacted positively to joining the pyramid, alongside the juniors, providing they remain as separate leagues .

Is the rumour correct that the NRJFA is now reconsidering its'  disinterest in joining the pyramid'  ?  

You were so close in finishing a post without asking a question but you just couldn't make it!