Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

4 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

For me this is why clubs apply to the SoSFL. Its not an individual club's responsibility to go chasing down other clubs for a new league as if they were confirming their RSVP list for a house party.

The SoSFL sits at Tier 6 ostensibly covers the West of Scotland because nobody else does and is open to application. Kilwinning and Clydebank announce they've put in applications as its their only certain route to accessing SFA Licencing, the Develpment League etc.

Just those two clubs on paper takes the SoSFL to 17 teams. That's a 32 game league season spread over 34 rounds due to the odd number. It also adds an extra round to some of the SoSFL cup competitions.

This is a problem for the LL Pyramid entirely, as it throws into question the ability of the SoSFL to provide a champion in time for the play-off. Its also a situation that would get worse as there are clubs that can be relegated from the Lowland League into SoSFL adding to fixture congestion.

The Lowland League, the SoSFL and EoSFL can then decide to form a WoSFL and how that will work within the LL Pyramid Playoff structure. Highlight the need for it to the SFA with the existing applications and then can go about promoting the WoSFL like they did the Lowland League.

Worse case scenario there's not enough interest in the WoSFL and the SoSFL have to make it work on their own like the EoSFL did with surplus applications.

Just to be clear, Kilwinning never announced that and haven’t applied to any leagues 

3 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Condition of entry for a wosl should be participation in an u20’s league, at tier 6 at least.

To be honest, I wouldn't say a pre-requisite, should be no pressure to add a U20s team but most will get round to it once they have sorted their first team out.
There are 3 clubs ready to go with a development squad, Pollok, Rossvale and Clydebank and I'm sure there are a few others.
There will be some tinkering and tweaks to be done with the academies but in realty, we at the youth game are already geared up for this.

There are other academies not affiliated to first teams, Hillwood for example, I'm not sure they are officially affiliated to a junior team or senior team but there's Arthurlie beside them where a collaboration could be utilised 

2 hours ago, holmparkheroes said:

Given the excellent U19 team that Bankies have at the moment an U20s league is very important to us, but imposing this condition could possibly put teams off and actually hinder the formation of a WoSL.

Yes agree with holmparkhearoes. that it could put junior teams off from joining the league.  Although the U19s play in the U19s central league which, my view, is the best league at U19s in Scotland, holding the current U19s holders and last years U17s Scottish winners. The Bankies team are ready to change immediately to the development league, they just need the say so but they don't have a U17s yet but I'm sure this is being looked at.
Pollok have 2x u21s teams, 1xU19s, 1xU17s
Rossvale have 1x21 team, 1xU19s, 1xU17s, 3xu16s teams

So for these teams its looking bright

Also Rossvale proposed an Under 23 team this year to join the juniors and even stated that they don't need promotion, its only to give the younger lads experience and for the  first team players to be allowed to play when coming back from injury but was knocked back but I could see this happening with a few teams if only a third of the junior teams left the junior ranks.  its an interesting concept

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

35 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

To be honest, I wouldn't say a pre-requisite, should be no pressure to add a U20s team but most will get round to it once they have sorted their first team out.
There are 3 clubs ready to go with a development squad, Pollok, Rossvale and Clydebank and I'm sure there are a few others.
There will be some tinkering and tweaks to be done with the academies but in realty, we at the youth game are already geared up for this.

There are other academies not affiliated to first teams, Hillwood for example, I'm not sure they are officially affiliated to a junior team or senior team but there's Arthurlie beside them where a collaboration could be utilised 

Yes agree with holmparkhearoes.

Also Rossvale proposed an Under 23 team this year to join the juniors and even stated that they don't need promotion, its only to give the younger lads experience and for the  first team players to be allowed to play when coming back from injury but was knocked back but I could see this happening with a few teams if only a third of the junior teams left the junior ranks.  its an interesting concept

Can see Rossvale being the first to sign up for a WoSL when it's triggered.

3 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

Can see Rossvale being the first to sign up for a WoSL when it's triggered.

Rossvale are now covering all bases. an excellent first team management and committee and academy structure working together and they all know how important a good youth set up structure  is.  They all work together and its the best collaboration I've been at with an academy. Each academy and first teams need the right people involved with the same vision and then knit them together as one unit so that everyone right down to mini kickers are working with the same goal. making it fun for the kids and letting them know that there is a solid pathway there for those good enough or want to take their football to a higher level.

1 hour ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Rossvale are now covering all bases. an excellent first team management and committee and academy structure working together and they all know how important a good youth set up structure  is.  They all work together and its the best collaboration I've been at with an academy. Each academy and first teams need the right people involved with the same vision and then knit them together as one unit so that everyone right down to mini kickers are working with the same goal. making it fun for the kids and letting them know that there is a solid pathway there for those good enough or want to take their football to a higher level.

Caledonian Braves and BSC Glasgow have shown you don't need a support.

Just money

30 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

Just money

Average att / headcount league & all cups

84 Caledonian Braves 

117 Bsc Glasgow ( this will jump considerably with a home game v Hibs in Scottish Cup)

All clubs have a support just some have more than others. Be it 40/50 to 350/450 it's still a hard core of loyal supporters. 

4 hours ago, holmparkheroes said:

Given the excellent U19 team that Bankies have at the moment an U20s league is very important to us, but imposing this condition could possibly put teams off and actually hinder the formation of a WoSL.

My feelings on the state of youth football has been expressed on other topics. It should be optional but I think most of the clubs who would look to apply would be progressive enough to see the benefit of a u20. EK scrapped theirs for a reserve team so every club works different. 

A west development league would be much preferred simply for travel. A Scottish u20 would be interesting alongside a u18. 

My feelings on the state of youth football has been expressed on other topics. It should be optional but I think most of the clubs who would look to apply would be progressive enough to see the benefit of a u20. EK scrapped theirs for a reserve team so every club works different. 

A west development league would be much preferred simply for travel. A Scottish u20 would be interesting alongside a u18. 
iirc the LL Development League have considered adding an U17 tier. Someone more itk would be able to clarify.

59 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

Just money

Maybe THEY don't need supporters, but most West Premiership clubs couldn't switch to a league with too many such teams - their businesses model depends on punters through the gate.

18 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

FAO Bestsinceslicedbread Arthurlie have there own 21s and have been working with Barrhead Youth FC this season. FWIW I don’t think it should be a condition of entry but for me clubs should be encouraged to work towards it no matter what.

Arthurlie always have had a under 21s. I used to play for Arthurlie under 21s and trained at Dunterlie on one half of the pitch while Fergus Ferguson worked with his. first team squad. Even though teams say that have under 21s or 19s they are all at different levels some are stable and some are totally unstable as its all about the organisation and the  connections of the managers and coaches  of all the teams and how they gel.

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

8 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

Prediction with zero inside info: the entire existing West Region will be inside the Senior pyramid as a West of Scotland Football League, levels 6-9 from next season.

This looks fun. My turn

Prediction with zero inside info: exact same as the junior refugees in heading to the EoSFL. Clydebank and Kilwinning will apply to SoSFL and there'll be an avalanche of other clubs joining and the SoS will split into conferences. Only difference is once they've created their top division after a year they'll split the lower tiers by region. The new SoS premier league will rename itself the West of Scotland league with Central, Ayrshire and South of Scotland below. Everyone is surprisingly happy and how smoothly it all transitions.

Auchinleck win the 10 team West Region Super League 38 points ahead of Muirkirk as their committee discusses the benefits of moving to the senior leagues. 

45 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

This looks fun. My turn

Prediction with zero inside info: exact same as the junior refugees in heading to the EoSFL. Clydebank and Kilwinning will apply to SoSFL and there'll be an avalanche of other clubs joining and the SoS will split into conferences. Only difference is once they've created their top division after a year they'll split the lower tiers by region. The new SoS premier league will rename itself the West of Scotland league with Central, Ayrshire and South of Scotland below. Everyone is surprisingly happy and how smoothly it all transitions.

Auchinleck win the 10 team West Region Super League 38 points ahead of Muirkirk as their committee discusses the benefits of moving to the senior leagues. 

Considering every other WOS permutation that’s been mentioned on here, yours could just as likely happen as any of the rest.

I’d vote for it anyways just for the hell of it.

3 hours ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

FAO Bestsinceslicedbread Arthurlie have there own 21s and have been working with Barrhead Youth FC this season. FWIW I don’t think it should be a condition of entry but for me clubs should be encouraged to work towards it no matter what.

Both your 19s and 21s have folded this season.