Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

18 minutes ago, gaz5 said:
1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:
Ashfield might have an issue with their pitch size. That's supposedly scuppered the planned BSC groundshare.

Only if they want a licence, not to play in Tier 6 WoS league.

The response goes back to the root question of who in the West could get licensed in a year.

Just now, G4Mac said:

Why would they need a licence in a year to play at tier 6?

They don't, I was just curious as to how many clubs could potentially be Licenced and in the Scottish Cup for 2021-22

Obviously you don't need a Licence for a tier 6  WoSFL.

1 hour ago, energyzone said:
1 hour ago, GordonS said:
The Juniors worked well for Linlithgow Rose and Bo'ness, it would always be tough for them to simply quit. I think they were watching each other, and clubs like Broxburn. IIRC Broxburn declared, then Bo'ness, and at that point the discussion wasn't about the relative merits of juniors v senior pyramid any more, it was a simple question of looking at the members of the two leagues and it being obvious where we had to go. 
If there is to be a breakaway in the west it might well follow a similar pattern. If a few prominent clubs declare an intention to go, then their neighbours declare, it would likely only be a matter of time before the rest feel they have little choice but to jump ship too.
There are two very big differences though. First, clubs in the east were drawn to the very welcoming arms of the EOSFL; there's no existing league in the west. That means some clubs will need to take an even bigger leap of faith than Kelty or Bonnyrigg made. Imagine a club like Kilwinning saying "We're setting up a new WOSFL in the pyramid, who's with us!" and only three or four join them. They'd end up limping back into the WRSJFA with their tails between their legs. It's much riskier in the west, as the east clubs knew exactly where they were going. There's a hurdle in the west that the east didn't have.
The other big difference is that the west is in a considerably healthier condition than the east was. Any number of possible reasons for that and maybe it was just cyclical, but we were slipping back in comparison with both the west juniors and the LL. 

I don't have any inside information, but I would be fairly confident that the Kilwinning chairman and committee have had weekly conversations with other clubs who also favour setting up or joining a WOS league, hence the announcement last night. I don't think they'll be alone. It would be good for other clubs to voice their support or otherwise though...

That appears to be the case. Someone from Kilwinning a few pages back posted a number of around 8 clubs. No idea if the poster is involved with the Buffs at committee level et al or is merely a fan.

They don't, I was just curious as to how many clubs could potentially be Licenced and in the Scottish Cup for 2021-22
Obviously you don't need a Licence for a tier 6  WoSFL.
Ahh, I hadn't bothered to trawl through he previous posts.[emoji85]

9 minutes ago, pipedreamer said:

Nice of TJ not to mention that it was himself that blocked Option W though... 

He also forgot to mention that it was a case of  "all-in or none in" and that they weren't prepared to compromise.

He also forgot to mention that they obtained agreement on "option Z" by West and East doing a deal to stick together, and then the WRJFA lying to clubs about the SFA and LL backing it.

Edited by Burnie_man

4 minutes ago, pipedreamer said:

Nice of TJ not to mention that it was himself that blocked Option W though... 

Yep, from what I gather, EoS/LL are still supportive of the WRJFA joining intact. His comment that they "don't want the juniors" just means that they don't want both east & west joining, which was last season's "done deal"...

Also interesting how the North are put under the "Highland League" header, whilst East & West are put under the "Juniors" header.

Edited by Marten

1 hour ago, Robert James said:

I'm not sure that  Kilwinning would  "end up limping back into the WRJFA" ,  in the (unlikely ?) event that a WoSL  isn't set up.   But I am of the opinion that Clydebank intend to go senior, even if this means reactivating its "deferred" EoSL membership application. The Bankies haven't forgotten what happened, last time they tried to join the pyramid.

If not, the SoSL beckons, and offers an easier route to the Lowland, once the club is licensed.

Yeah, you could see Clydebank walking regardless. They don't have the geographical or traditional ties to the west juniors that Kilwinning do, of course.

1 hour ago, The Mantis said:

I know this was discussed hundreds of pages back, but if even a handful defected to the SOSL for 20-21, the champion could be in the LL for 21-22. Assuming the SOSL took the sensible approach, i.e. conferences, as they have 15 clubs atm.
The SOSL would become the de facto WOSL

The SOSL isn't as appealing to west clubs as the EOSFL was to east clubs. The journeys are much longer and the road to the LL has a much, much tougher play-off opponent. Also, the EOSFL guys played an absolute blinder in reaching out to potential new members, which I don't think the SOSL have done. It's obviously an option, just not quite as appealing.

1 hour ago, energyzone said:
2 hours ago, GordonS said:
The Juniors worked well for Linlithgow Rose and Bo'ness, it would always be tough for them to simply quit. I think they were watching each other, and clubs like Broxburn. IIRC Broxburn declared, then Bo'ness, and at that point the discussion wasn't about the relative merits of juniors v senior pyramid any more, it was a simple question of looking at the members of the two leagues and it being obvious where we had to go. 
If there is to be a breakaway in the west it might well follow a similar pattern. If a few prominent clubs declare an intention to go, then their neighbours declare, it would likely only be a matter of time before the rest feel they have little choice but to jump ship too.
There are two very big differences though. First, clubs in the east were drawn to the very welcoming arms of the EOSFL; there's no existing league in the west. That means some clubs will need to take an even bigger leap of faith than Kelty or Bonnyrigg made. Imagine a club like Kilwinning saying "We're setting up a new WOSFL in the pyramid, who's with us!" and only three or four join them. They'd end up limping back into the WRSJFA with their tails between their legs. It's much riskier in the west, as the east clubs knew exactly where they were going. There's a hurdle in the west that the east didn't have.
The other big difference is that the west is in a considerably healthier condition than the east was. Any number of possible reasons for that and maybe it was just cyclical, but we were slipping back in comparison with both the west juniors and the LL. 

I don't have any inside information, but I would be fairly confident that the Kilwinning chairman and committee have had weekly conversations with other clubs who also favour setting up or joining a WOS league, hence the announcement last night. I don't think they'll be alone. It would be good for other clubs to voice their support or otherwise though...

You'd presume so, but until we see the banner getting raised we won't know.

Because as Burnie has pointed out the question was basically "i don't know the West very well. Which clubs are good shouts for getting licensed in time for the 2021-22 Scottish Cup".
Yeah, see my reply above. Slap on wrists accepted.

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Ashfield might have an issue with their pitch size. That's supposedly scuppered the planned BSC groundshare.

It did indeed. The speedway track round the pitch means the pitch is too small. I know since then a series of improvements have been made. Not sure they could do anything about the pitch dimensions. 

6 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

So we've being getting wrong all these years, it's TAJ.

Notice no mention how Option Z was the only option basically discussed by the juniors and presented as having the support of other bodies.

Makes it more important than ever that those clubs wishing to access the Pyramid in the west also make their feelings known to Petrie/SFA.  The offer of the WoSFL was made by the LL, so they are aware it's an option, one which they should be biting their hand off for as a solution to the impasse.

However let's remember, TJ also forgot to mention that he told PWG that none of his clubs were interested in moving to a senior league, which we know was completely untrue.