Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

10 hours ago, BTID said:

Some good posts in here.

The issue with West 21s is its big teams and the folks that run them are happy playing Saturday afternoon and have little or no connection with junior sides. Even if there is a loose affiliation, I can’t really see how the pathway works during the season. 

I was with 21s for a year and am back at 19s and to be honest neither is at the standard it needs to be at. I’m hoping part of the pyramid switch would see a u20 west league develop as this would create a bit of professionalism within the 16-20 bracket which is badly needed.

Our league isn’t even into the new year and 5 clubs have folded. Lack of commitment/drop out and boys working weekends seems to be the biggest factors these days. So to have a proper fri night setup would be great, Creates an environment that retains and grows interest. 

Spoke to Camelon Juniors u20 who we play on fri, pitch costs was a huge issue through here when attempting a fri night last last year. £140 is eye watering and the cost to west clubs would have to be looked at. As also mentioned, Talbot don’t have any sort of youth pathway so unsure all clubs would get involved but think there are progressive community clubs out there to get it started for next season.

Where is the game played and KO time

On 29/12/2019 at 00:46, Ginaro said:
On 29/12/2019 at 00:46, Ginaro said:

FYI, Golspie were granted planning permission to install lights last month: https://wam.highland.gov.uk/wam/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=PYHD7AIHFZ100

FYI, Golspie were granted planning permission to install lights last month: https://wam.highland.gov.uk/wam/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=PYHD7AIHFZ100

Excellent news, which (assuming installation) will preserve their 50+ years SFA Membership.

On 29/12/2019 at 04:07, ArabAuslander said:

I wonder if with the installation of floodlights Golspie maybe forced into the HL, or certainly applying to join the HL

They can't be forced into the HFL as a way of retaining their SFA membership, anymore than juniors Banks O'Dee could be. It is also doubtful that they would join the HFL voluntarily at this time.

It should be noted that when the North Caley League reps held discussions with the PWG and HFL, early last year, the NCL confirmed the interest of its clubs in becoming a pyramid feeder league, if/when one is created in the north. However the log-jam caused by the NRJFA, seems to have resulted in no further progress, regarding a north pyramid at tier 6 and below.

Given the geographical logistics of the north & west highlands, and islands, any northern pyramid must be split into two separate feeder leagues, as travelling costs for amateur clubs between Aberdeen and Thurso (+ Orkney) would be prohibitive. Worse still if the Dundee & Angus clubs become involved in a north pyramid.

The above situation for the 'north'  needs to be considered fully once the West juniors pyramid entrance is resolved. 

3 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Ah going with the "you should only comment on the grade your own team plays in" argument, that's a classic. :)

I asked a simple question, because the thread is related to the Juniors, and I'm interested to know how many people who are Junior supporters actually contibute.

45 minutes ago, Blackie Gold said:

I asked a simple question, because the thread is related to the Juniors, and I'm interested to know how many people who are Junior supporters actually contibute.

I've followed the buffs for over 30 years hardly missed a game but I'm a football fan and watch rangers when I get the chance and visit other junior teams when the buffs aren't playing . My opinion on junior football is that it come to an end and lets embrace the new .

2 hours ago, Blackie Gold said:

As a matter of interest how many posters on here actually follow a Junior club?

Girvan - 30-40 years ago.!

Blackie, if you are an exclusive junior follower, do you have any update  on the club's floodlights situation and current SFA Membership ?

5 hours ago, Robert James said:

Girvan - 30-40 years ago.!

Blackie, if you are an exclusive junior follower, do you have any update  on the club's floodlights situation and current SFA Membership ?

Floodlights will be up in the close season. I think we tick all the other boxes, seating, toilets etc.

21 hours ago, Blackie Gold said:

Blackiegold there's nothing wrong with your question.
My view is defiantly anyone can make a comment on junior football on here, doesn't matter what level they follow but obviously they would have a better understanding if they go to junior games

Me personally, yes I am a junior follower, my team that I supported as a child was Benburb and worked for Pollok, Clydebank and now Rossvale academies and go to most of the junior games when I'm involved with the first teams academies with the role of being part of coaching staff with the sole task of producing lads from the academy to the juniors team or beyond.  The comments regarding the youth posts, which can be extended in the youth section, is really important if and when junior clubs join the senior /pyramid as most will rely on youth coming through but many, including some of the big juniors teams don't have it in place yet and some haven't even given it a thought when really they wont have money to go out and buy players.

My view is, I've loved being part of junior football and watching it but I feel the best thing for Scottish football is the juniors join the seniors/pyramid and hopefully progress from there and reach the level that is best suited for each team. Obviously everyone has views on how it should be structured and I am no different but as long as the right one is used then hopefully everyone benefits.

Hope everyone have a fantastic new year and the team you follow go beyond your expectations 

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

iirc back in 70s or 80s Pollok nearly moved to somewhere in Pollokshields

Safeway ( now Morrisons) offered to buy their ground, which is on a main road, and build them a new one about 200 yards away, but they turned it down. Different days, right enough, when their crowds were better and they got funding from the social club.

13 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:
On 26/12/2019 at 21:15, GNU_Linux said:
iirc back in 70s or 80s Pollok nearly moved to somewhere in Pollokshields

Safeway ( now Morrisons) offered to buy their ground, which is on a main road, and build them a new one about 200 yards away, but they turned it down. Different days, right enough, when their crowds were better and they got funding from the social club.

Running a club, especially a junior club, is all about decision making and if your part of a committee and look to the future then everything is geared to that but if your part of a committee and happy with the way things are going then you need to be prepared for the unexpected.  I never thought Pollok would lose a great social club.  They are where they are now and I'm sure most at Pollok know things can change so I would expect that they are looking into ways to better the club.   In saying that, Benburb also had a great wee club, vibrant and busy but that didn't last either so I feel the bens are just trying to get by which is a shame, (obviously only my opinion).

I expect every junior club should be looking into the chance that the West region may join the senior/pyramid league so preparation or at least get their house in order, if needed for the move.

Rumour mill out east is that Kirkcaldy & Dysart, Thornton Hibs & Luncarty are considering jumping ship. Luncarty is an interesting one as whilst the village is primarily south of the HL/LL line the clubs ground is just north of it iirc.

Rumour mill out east is that Kirkcaldy & Dysart, Thornton Hibs & Luncarty are considering jumping ship. Luncarty is an interesting one as whilst the village is primarily south of the HL/LL line the clubs ground is just north of it iirc.

I recall reading in the paper that Kirkcaldy and Dysart we’re keeping their options open but at that time were happy to be an SJFA team. It was also quoted something about they thought that of the teams that left some might return to the SJFA so the lack of this happening may sway them to move to the EOS. If they do decide to move be nice to play them in the FIfe Cup, could be a wee payday for them too.

I don’t support a Junior team I hope my opinion is still valid [emoji5]

Any info from the Junior and Non League Senior clubs on the 4 options that were floated? Is there a meeting coming up soon?

1 minute ago, San Starko Rover said:

I recall reading in the paper that Kirkcaldy and Dysart we’re keeping their options open but at that time were happy to be an SJFA team. It was also quoted something about they thought that of the teams that left some might return to the SJFA so the lack of this happening may sway them to move to the EOS. If they do decide to move be nice to play them in the FIfe Cup, could be a wee payday for them too.

Think there would have to be some work done to join the Fife FA. Dundonald and HoB were only officially accepted once they became SFA members.

27 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

I don’t support a Junior team I hope my opinion is still valid emoji5.png

Any info from the Junior and Non League Senior clubs on the 4 options that were floated? Is there a meeting coming up soon?

Been told the West region meeting in January 30th has been brought forward to the 16th to discuss the proposals.