Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

13 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

The HL/LL boundary and LL2 are not contained in any of the four options, which don't contain anything remotely radical from what I understand.  Rod Petrie put them together remember......

That's basically what I was going to say. Something like LL2 just moves the issues down a tier and would see the West Premiership and EoS Premier likely gutted. Which isn't an obvious vote winner. The boundary has always been murky with how it's been handled, but has never been an explicit topic of discussion.

We now know that there are 4 options. We might as well find out what they are, rather than speculate over hypotheticals. If it's up to the league reps to canvas for preferences i'm sure we'll start to hear what they are over the weekend's games. It's obviously starting to filter through.

There are currently no clubs to the north and west of Helensburgh and south of the Tay Bridge line that are likely to ever be a factor on this unless an Oban team gets involved above amateur level, so the only real difference it would make is that some Angus and Perthshire clubs would now fall under the LL and its still to be fully resolved east feeder setup.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

I think there's a decent number people with an understanding that Oban Saints operate in Central Scotland area amateur football. Doesn't anyone else find it incredibly weird that its then Helensburgh that gets used for the West Side marker on the new '"line"?

Wouldn't it be easier to say Stonehaven and Oban? Since that has no effect on any junior / senior league. Whereas if you try and draw the line to just south of Stonehaven and just north of Helensburgh you end up cutting through parts of Perthshire and Angus.

image.thumb.png.82f7faff5481b827230641befb8dac86.png

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I think there's a decent number people with an understanding that Oban Saints operate in Central Scotland area amateur football. Doesn't anyone else find it incredibly weird that its then Helensburgh that gets used for the West Side marker on the new '"line"?

Wouldn't it be easier to say Stonehaven and Oban? Since that has no effect on any junior / senior league. Whereas if you try and draw the line to just south of Stonehaven and just north of Helensburgh you end up cutting through parts of Perthshire and Angus.

image.thumb.png.82f7faff5481b827230641befb8dac86.png

Have I missed something where has this new line come from? Surely it's still tay bridge 

1 hour ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Have I missed something where has this new line come from? Surely it's still tay bridge 

It's at best speculation on another that predates the most recent PWG meeting. A meeting where 4 options were offered by Rod Petrie and the league delegates are now meant to go back to their members to canvas opinion. While @Burnie_man has yet to hear the specifics of those options, none of them are meant to have something as drastic as a boundary change. The next PWG meeting is hoped to be the end of January. So they do seem to be trying to get something in place for 2020-21. 

I was just wondering why Helensburgh-Stonehaven had been chosen for this speculated new line. Since it's based on geography and actually sees North Region Stonehaven on the southern side it doesn't seem to be anything but someone's personal preference.

Except there was the claim made that Brechin, Forfar, Montrose and Arbroath are actively lobbying for this, which appears to hint at inside knowledge and Prorege has had a decent track record from what I remember of being in the know ahead of time on issues like this in the past. Burnie_man doesn't appear to know the contents of the four proposals, which if anything is probably a sign that things are going quite amicably, if none of the parties directly involved are eager to leak the info all over P&B at this point to try to drive opinion on the matter within the game in line with their preferred spin as happened last season. It's not clear how if he doesn't know the specifics, he can be so sure that the boundary line didn't feature.

8 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

I think the eventual outcome of this will be the WRJFA in for next season on it's own, with more Fife and West Lothian clubs moving to the EoS.

The ERJFA will eventually become a Tayside League by default, and ironically place it in a stronger position to negotiate Pyramid entry as it won't cover EoS territory.

This is assuming TJ doesn't place any blockers on West coming in without East.

TJ doesn't have the power to block anything. He will do what the clubs tell him to do

23 minutes ago, pipedreamer said:

Unless the clubs wanted to do something that put him out of a cushty job...

They cant unless he does something really stupid which amounts to gross negligence and instant dismissal as he has the same employee rights as any other person in employment.

He is the Secretary (ie Employee of the SJFA) not the Ayatollah as some people on here try to paint him and he only has the power that the clubs vote to give him

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Except there was the claim made that Brechin, Forfar, Montrose and Arbroath are actively lobbying for this, which appears to hint at inside knowledge and Prorege has had a decent track record from what I remember of being in the know ahead of time on issues like this in the past. Burnie_man doesn't appear to know the contents of the four proposals, which if anything is probably a sign that things are going quite amicably, if none of the parties directly involved are eager to leak the info all over P&B at this point to try to drive opinion on the matter within the game in line with their preferred spin as happened last season. It's not clear how if he doesn't know the specifics, he can be so sure that the boundary line didn't feature.

Angus clubs may well prefer it, but the same was said at the time it was created and it didn't make any difference. I spotted how this bit of discussion started by someone asking if Brechin would be relegated to the HL, to which the poster said I wouldn't assume that.

The SFA stepped in last season and prevented the LL from amending their rules regarding relegation because it happened during the season. So within the space of the year the SFA are suddenly okay with that.

Looking ahead next season there may only be 1 HL league area club in SPFL2. That's with using the current boundary. You change the boundary to Stonehaven-Helensburgh, more often than not there could be 10 LL area clubs in SPFL2. Why would the LL accept equal standing with the HL without automatic promotion.

Right now it looks like Brechin are complaining about it because they fear relegation. No different to how Montrose complained about it. Nothing changed then. Why should it now?

38 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Confusion over the boundary was specifically mentioned as being an issue by the SFA when the PWG wrapped up its activities last season with no resolution.

I guess it's because they went from 'we can address this issue at a future meeting' to 'here's 4 options'. On the face of it there's doesn't seem to have been any discussion on the matter. Especially as the main take away was 'West Region in, East Region sitting out as a option' and nothing too radical to rate a mention.

TJ doesn't have the power to block anything. He will do what the clubs tell him to do
We are not in kansas anymore toto...... [emoji1787]

If I click my heels will I get back from this alternate reality?