Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

I really hope they keep the conferences for next season 🤞

As for entering a tier or 2 higher by joining the SoS league or any other imaginative way... I am personally not bothered if it’s tier 6, 7 or 8, I just want a safe, solid, competitive league to watch my team play in. The EoS offers that without any interference from us, they’ve done a great job so far with the new clubs 

5 minutes ago, Spyro said:

I really hope they keep the conferences for next season 🤞

As for entering a tier or 2 higher by joining the SoS league or any other imaginative way... I am personally not bothered if it’s tier 6, 7 or 8, I just want a safe, solid, competitive league to watch my team play in. The EoS offers that without any interference from us, they’ve done a great job so far with the new clubs 

The whole point of a conference setup is to distribute teams into divisions of fairly equal ability, so that you can cream off the top x places for a single division.

With the same number of teams next season then the top 6 in each conference would go into a First Division at tier 7 and the bottom 6 would form a second division at tier 8. That way you have a proper structure based on ability with competitive divisions.

So I don't know what the point of conferences would be next season - unless most/all ERJFA teams moved across then they could be used to integrate everyone and figure out who should be at tier 7 the following season.

4 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The next PWG meeting is meant to be December 14th? If i'm remembering that correctly. It seems upto the SJFA to offer up a proposal.

The sjfa new proposal is the west will go in at tier 6 next season and the East teams that are still junior will stay out the pyramid where further negotiations will continue as it's been made clear that there will be only one league in the east at tier 6 and it's already there with the eos. So if the East teams that are still junior if you've any sense apply for the eos and get out of the clutches of the sjfa. The North have made it clear they want to stay where they are so your only problem is tayside?

7 hours ago, Beenzon-Toste said:

I'm not sure why you're sticking with this 'all in mandate' stance. From what I can gather the question was whether or not the SJFA was to seek entry to the Pyramid. How it was to come about was not put forward. The NRSJFA indicated at the time that they were not interested but did not want to stand in the way of the other regions.
We now have a situation where the West Region could be in for next season supposedly with backing from the ERSJFA and the NRSJFA. Surely the SJFA hierarchy is not sticking to having both the East and West going in together?

I hope you're right, it makes sense if the west enter the pyramid for next season whilst continuing work on the rest. Personally, I really hope to eventually see all juniors on board and the Tayside issue is one I care a lot about (for obvious reasons), but the west in for next season can hopefully be a good first step to a better pyramid in the whole country.

The sjfa new proposal is the west will go in at tier 6 next season...

Has that been officially communicated to the clubs and the other parties involved in the discussions ? Or is it just speculation ? (For the record, I hope it is true, as in my opinion it is what should have happened last summer.)

1 hour ago, glensmad said:

Has that been officially communicated to the clubs and the other parties involved in the discussions ? Or is it just speculation ? (For the record, I hope it is true, as in my opinion it is what should have happened last summer.)

Hope so, I just get the feeling it’s going to be the exact same as last year. Hope then the usual stall and delay to keep folk in jobs. 

just out of interest off topic slightly, why is there a rule junior clubs can only sign 26 players. Why is their a cap?

6 hours ago, BTID said:

Hope so, I just get the feeling it’s going to be the exact same as last year. Hope then the usual stall and delay to keep folk in jobs. 

just out of interest off topic slightly, why is there a rule junior clubs can only sign 26 players. Why is their a cap?

Is it not 25?

I would guess the cap is to stop big clubs hoarding players. A moan in the SAFA forum is just that. Boo hoo they have 40 players but we can't find 11 etc.

8 hours ago, glensmad said:

Not officially been told to club's I can't go into details where the info came from but was told that this is the proposal being put forward in December.

11 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

The SoS and West Juniors have a geographical overlap too. They are both leagues for the West of the country in the Lowland League area. The SoS pub league needs to be addressed rather than ignored.

That would be a way to stick a spanner in the works, which is why it hopefully won't happen. Having only the west region entering in 2020- 21 to provide the missing west feeder and leaving other issues to later would be the easy next step, if the SJFA are really going to propose this on Dec 11th.

3 hours ago, wow-wee said:

Not officially been told to club's I can't go into details where the info came from but was told that this is the proposal being put forward in December.

Given that the SJFA West Region (?or its'top division) adopted SFA Disciplinary procedures this season this may be the logical next step.

5 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

Is it not 25?

I would guess the cap is to stop big clubs hoarding players. A moan in the SAFA forum is just that. Boo hoo they have 40 players but we can't find 11 etc.

I kinda get it at ams level and also when the old retainment rules were In place. But now? It’s 2019 fs. If a player wants to sign and a club wants a big squad at this level surely that should be allowed. 

Just thinking that if the sjfa could change that rule it would allow progressive clubs to include their development squads and address the dire state of youth football between the ages of 16-21

3 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

The SoS and West Juniors have a geographical overlap too. They are both leagues for the West of the country in the Lowland League area. The SoS pub league needs to be addressed rather than ignored.

The SOS either needs to be confirmed as the LL's west feeder and junior clubs told to move to it (essentially a takeover) - or be removed from the tier 6 play-off and the WRJFA gets told to incorporate the SOS clubs (probably a good idea to regionalise its bottom tier).

Edited by Ginaro

4 hours ago, BTID said:

I kinda get it at ams level and also when the old retainment rules were In place. But now? It’s 2019 fs. If a player wants to sign and a club wants a big squad at this level surely that should be allowed. 

Just thinking that if the sjfa could change that rule it would allow progressive clubs to include their development squads and address the dire state of youth football between the ages of 16-21

There was an additional priviso made in the past 10 years that junior clubs could sign an additional 20 youth players but it was never specified what age groups they were. It's an area I am very unsure of so hopefully someone who knows more can shed light. But yes for any Junior club wanting an U20 team that has players eligible for the 1st team there'd need to be a rule change as the likes of Dunipace 20s are signed on the same forms as their 1st team squad are.

Edited by cmontheloknow

6 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

There was an additional priviso made in the past 10 years that junior clubs could sign an additional 20 youth players but it was never specified what age groups they were. It's an area I am very unsure of so hopefully someone who knows more can shed light. But yes for any Junior club wanting an U20 team that has players eligible for the 2st team there'd need to be a rule change as the likes of Dunipace 20s are signed on the same forms as their 1st team squad are.

Thanks mate.

Any ambitious west club should have a direct feeder team really to promote their community talents properly. Loads of great teams and venues with potential, yet we sit on our hands. 

General standard of 21s apart from a select few teams is very poor. 19s the same. Need a change in ambition. Still a good market out there for players not quite ready for pro football for whatever reason but have potential. Feel that’s totally lost with how it’s run at this age.

On 27/11/2019 at 15:27, LongTimeLurker said:

Sounds promising that the WRSJFA may be entering before anything gets sorted in the east and north regions and nobody appears to be opposing it if Beenzon-Toste's information is accurate. Hopefully common sense has prevailed. Would have thought that the eventual solution in the east will probably have to revolve around the ERSJFA feeding into the EoS in some way rather than the LL, if there isn't an effective merger south of the Tay through having more clubs joining the EoS next season. Will be interesting to see what if anything happens with the Tay Bridge boundary, which is the other issue that needs to be addressed.

The potential relegation of Brechin City would seriously test the boundary.