Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

3 hours ago, Marten said:

That claim that the HL aren't letting anyone in, hasn't been tested since they committed to the pyramid. Apparently, they even invited BoD to replace Cove. What else are they supposed to do? They can hardly force them...

As there is no pyramid in the north, any Tayside team (or North juniors or NCL) should be able to apply for a license. If they get it, they can apply to the HL. Only if they'd then be turned down, this could be held against the HL. The question whether or not the HL would admit a Tayside team like Lochee has never been tested, so nobody can say whether or not they deem them "too far away" to let them join.

The Highland League wanted to be the Tier 5 league rather than have one formed at level 5 with them feeding it. It is not their call to decide where the boundary begins or ends.

The "travelling" line being peddled for tayside sides north is a hutch of crap.
As I've mentioned before on other threads,with the opening of the new AWPR dual carriageway round Aberdeen,30 mins of travel time has been whipped aff.
The A9 being dualled between Inverness and Perth will help too.
If they eventually set up a league below the SHFL then that's where the Tayside teams should go,as the boundary line dictates.

First time I’ve heard junior football cited as an argument in favour of road building. Imagine what we could do with a functioning and expanded rail and bus network... [emoji16]

7 hours ago, Marten said:

I went to Armadale yesterday for the East Region League Cup final. I also went to Cove Rangers v Berwick rangers in the play-offs early May. From Dundee, Cove was much quicker to get to than Armadale...

Depends where you start from.

That’s clearly incorrect, my understanding is that the teams in and around Dundee (Lochee, Broughty, Carnoustie etc.) currently have nowhere to go (Lowland is outside their area and Highland aren’t letting anyone in, even if they did it’s too far away).
I’m not advocating copying the juniors because they’re the juniors, I’m pointing out that the geographical split doesn’t make any sense, when
1. Tayside teams can’t fit in
2. The geographical split between Highland and Lowland Leagues represents a population split of about 10%/90%.
so I figured that the geographical split that was there before probably makes sense, North, East and West.
What is clearly incorrect about it? The LL line is pretty clear and why change it so an association, who wants everyone else to make allowances for them and has had no interest in being part of the pyramid unless on their terms, now suddenly wants to be involved (because their product is falling on its proverbial sword)

10 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Interesting to note that Glenrothes have ditched the junior moniker & will now be known as Glenrothes FC. Camelon & Tranent have kept the junior moniker despite the transition to seniordom.

Camelon kept it because we are proud of our history. But that is what it is history. Plus locally the team quite often are referred to as the Juniors.

You also travelling back to 1690 when you go to Armadale, although the Fauldhouse massive walloping each other, whilst pished out of their heads on Buckie, at the end of the game was very amusing.

The comment about Armadale is obviously made by an arrogant idiot from numptyland who has forgotten to take his medication.

The Fife and Lothian’s cup final held at Bathgate between Thornton Hibs and Livingston United attracted an attendance of 490 while the League Cup Final at Armadale between Fauldhouse United and Pumpherston attracted 526 .Despite all the negativity regarding junior football it seems that there is still a good support for the grade

18 minutes ago, Vollyman said:

The Fife and Lothian’s cup final held at Bathgate between Thornton Hibs and Livingston United attracted an attendance of 490 while the League Cup Final at Armadale between Fauldhouse United and Pumpherston attracted 526 .Despite all the negativity regarding junior football it seems that there is still a good support for the grade

Helps that everyone else's seasons have ended. I'd see it as more of a suggestion for juniors to move to a summer season.

15 minutes ago, Vollyman said:

it seems that there is still a good support for the grade

Its maybe just me, but did those people really turn up to support the grade?

If it had been an Amateur Cup Final between the exact same teams, same players at the same venue, are you saying some of those that did go wouldn't have?

Genuine question....I'm from an area where there is only 1 junior team in a 7 mile radius and I just cant understand that phrase.

granted I'll watch any game at any level if I can.

I went on Sunday. Not for the grade, but because it was a game of football and I deemed it a better option than doing the ironing.

I went on Sunday. Not for the grade, but because it was a game of football and I deemed it a better option than doing the ironing.

The point I was making was despite the negativity about the decline of junior football it can still attract decent crowds despite the loss of some of the top teams

40 minutes ago, TheLad said:
1 hour ago, Vollyman said:

What I take from Vollymans post was that despite all the negativity towards the Juniors or the Junior Grade( call it whatever you want) the crowds were healthy which shows that there is still lots of local interest in this level of football.

There are some areas where junior football is still strong. Ayrshire is the most obvious one. In that part of West Lothian it's still fairly strong, although I don't think the awful league set up for next season will help. But nobody can deny it's in serious decline in plenty of other areas and in the general national view of it.

And the attendance on Sunday was good, but as others said, many people will have gone as pretty much all other football had already finished.

3 hours ago, Vollyman said:

I'm sure if it had been the King Cup final at the same venues with the same teams, the same crowd would have shown. Gradeism is a load of guff..

Helps that everyone else's seasons have ended. I'd see it as more of a suggestion for juniors to move to a summer season.
Circa 2013-2014 a thread about summer football would appear once every three months. Haven't seen one for a good while though