Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

On 12/05/2019 at 07:12, brycey said:

berwick rangers should go amateur - they might actually win a game lol

Yes, Berwick Rangers have had a very poor season in SPFL 2.

Let's not forget that Cove Rangers have been a very strong club over the past few years, and they demolished East Kilbride 5-1 in the HFL/SLL play-off.   EK were the best team in the Lowland last season, by some distance, so Berwick (by comparison) have nothing to fear about the playing strength of Lowland League clubs. There will also be some border derbies against Gala FR, Vale of Leithen, and Coldstream, which will add some local spice. (Shame about Selkirk's demise). 

Assuming they don't overturn a 0-4 result in the 2nd Club 42 play-off, and are relegated, IMO with a new manager, and some astute signings of younger/hungrier players, I would expect Berwick Rangers to be a top 4 SLL club next season.  So it shouldn't all be doom and gloom at Shielfield, if relegation is confirmed next week.

FOOTNOTE :  before someone reminds me that this is the wrong forum (which it is), I am responding to various posts about Berwick above.  However what is certain, is that the Wee Rangers will NOT be joining the English pyramid, nor the East Region Juniors, for next season. 

1 hour ago, Robert James said:

Let's not forget that Cove Rangers have been a very strong club over the past few years, and they demolished East Kilbride 5-1 in the HFL/SLL play-off.   EK were the best team in the Lowland last season, by some distance, so Berwick (by comparison) have nothing to fear about the playing strength of Lowland League clubs. There will also be some border derbies against Gala FR, Vale of Leithen, and Coldstream, which will add some local spice. (Shame about Selkirk's demise). 

Assuming they don't overturn a 0-4 result in the 2nd Club 42 play-off, and are relegated, IMO with a new manager, and some astute signings of younger/hungrier players, I would expect Berwick Rangers to be a top 4 SLL club next season.  So it shouldn't all be doom and gloom at Shielfield, if relegation is confirmed next week.

FOOTNOTE :  before someone reminds me that this is the wrong forum (which it is), I am responding to various posts about Berwick above.  However what is certain, is that the Wee Rangers will NOT be joining the English pyramid, nor the East Region Juniors, for next season. 

Agreed, Cove Rangers are clearly the best tier 5 team by far. I've seen Berwick play in the Scottish cup against Gretna this season and they were clearly the stronger side. They ran out deserved 3-1 winners. I would expect them to be a decent side in the LL.

On 13/05/2019 at 12:00, Robert James said:

CLUB-STATEMENT-2-696x348.png

As was well reported, in March 2018 United Clydebank Supporters Trust members voted to join the Scottish FA pyramid as soon as possible.

On May 3 the club shared an email from Scottish FA chief executive, Ian Maxwell, which explained that the proposed integration of current SJFA leagues into the Scottish FA pyramid this summer has been deferred.

The club board recently met to explore this development and its repercussions. A detailed update setting out the board’s position is being sent to Trust members in the coming week.

An accompanying notice of this summer’s AGM is also being issued, which will be a forum for this development to be discussed by all Trust members.

If anyone has any immediate queries on this matter meantime please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Stuart Kelly

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Has there been any subsequent update from the club ? 

Edited by Robert James
additional question added

1 hour ago, Robert James said:
CLUB-STATEMENT-2-696x348.png

As was well reported, in March 2018 United Clydebank Supporters Trust members voted to join the Scottish FA pyramid as soon as possible.

On May 3 the club shared an email from Scottish FA chief executive, Ian Maxwell, which explained that the proposed integration of current SJFA leagues into the Scottish FA pyramid this summer has been deferred.

The club board recently met to explore this development and its repercussions. A detailed update setting out the board’s position is being sent to Trust members in the coming week.

An accompanying notice of this summer’s AGM is also being issued, which will be a forum for this development to be discussed by all Trust members.

If anyone has any immediate queries on this matter meantime please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Stuart Kelly

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Has there been any subsequent update from the club ? 

That update is barely 2 days old. It also says that Trust members are getting sent a detailed report in the next week with it being a topic of discussion at this year's AGM.

On 13/05/2019 at 13:26, Marten said:

Agreed, Cove Rangers are clearly the best tier 5 team by far. I've seen Berwick play in the Scottish cup against Gretna this season and they were clearly the stronger side. They ran out deserved 3-1 winners. I would expect them to be a decent side in the LL.

Beaten only once by in their full season by the mighty Auchinleck Talbot, and the arogant tossers didn't once give us the kudos we deserved.

Beaten only once by in their full season by the mighty Auchinleck Talbot, and the arogant tossers didn't once give us the kudos we deserved.

They were beat by Fraserburgh in the League & Formartine United in the Aberdeenshire Shield. Also lost to ICT, Hearts & Cowdenbeath in League Cup plus Montrose in Challenge Cup.

Have to bear in mind how lowly the Juniors are up North - very much seen as a poor relation you get out of quickly on way up or drop into on way down. Banks o' Dee tearing it up year in year out and beating HFL sides in the cups are the only one who will register anything remotely positive on the Cove Rangers radar I'd have thought.

On ‎02‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 22:43, Dev said:

Someone on the NLM web site has posted that a Dunblane team has applied to the Juniors, playing out of Sauchie's ground.

At Pumpherston v Kennoway today and the programme said that Linlithgow, Bo'ness, Syngenta and Dunblane have all applied to join the East Region and will have their applications assessed at the AGM.

44 minutes ago, Jason King said:

At Pumpherston v Kennoway today and the programme said that Linlithgow, Bo'ness, Syngenta and Dunblane have all applied to join the East Region and will have their applications assessed at the AGM.

Will sauchie pitch take that amount of punishment over the season 

1 hour ago, Jason King said:

Is this Linlithgow Rose, Bo’ness Utd etc?

Just now, Duraglit shareholder said:

Dont count your chickens yet, they may not have the designated SPFL kettle to make the halftime cuppas.;)

They've been SPFL material for a while now,glad they've left the SHFL as it will be a bit more competitive at the top end.

9 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

Have to bear in mind how lowly the Juniors are up North - very much seen as a poor relation you get out of quickly on way up or drop into on way down. Banks o' Dee tearing it up year in year out and beating HFL sides in the cups are the only one who will register anything remotely positive on the Cove Rangers radar I'd have thought.

Lowly yes. 

Whilst no doubt pleasing for the future of the Juniors, it is disappointing that the NRJFA clubs have 'collectively' decided not to join the pyramid , particularly as the HFL will now be reduced to 17 clubs,  following Cove's promotion to the SPFL..  But is this 'collective' decision actually 100%  correct for all of these junior clubs,  Do none of these clubs have any ambition/wish to follow Formartine, Turriff, Strathspey, and Inverurie into senior football ?

Some posters argue that the Highland League operates as a "closed shop" .  Others say it isn't a closed shop, and that none of the North Juniors have submitted an application to join the HFL since Banks O'Dee were rejected in 2009.  Whichever is true, a problem for any ambitious juniors is the HFL's (and now the SFA's) rule that applicants must have floodlights. This narrows down potential applicants to the HFL to 8 clubs, as only the following North juniors currently have floodlights 

Banks O'Dee      the Club  Chairman, and more recently its President, seem to have shut the door on joining the HFL, preferring to keep on winning  Junior trophies  again, and again, etc  

Hermes       also a top North Region club, with potential, albeit with no seats or cover at present  and in need investment

Montrose Roselea        an ambitious club who recently transferred successfully from the East to the North Juniors, and now playing at Links Park, ground sharing with the SPFL club  

Aberdeen University    promoted to the North First Division,  good facilities, but the club may find the number of HFL matches per season (34) is too onerous for students

Fraserburgh United     second best to senior club Fraserburgh FC , who play in the current HFL (and are believed to have the SPFL in their sights, in the near future)  

Deveronside         reasonably successful lower tier junior club, but live in the shadow of their HFL neighbours, Deveronvale

Burghead Thistle  lower tier juniors,  not equipped for senior status in the foreseeable future (lovely ground location though)

Longside      another junior club that has struggled in recent years, and like many of the above, are poorly supported (however  the 2018/19 season was their best for a while).

****

So are there any Junior candidates ready for promotion to the Highland League, in the near future ?  Unless of course,  SFA Member club BoD take the plunge as HFL club 18, the only possible candidate is Montrose Roselea in my view. But do they have the resources ?

Edited by Robert James
typo error

Tellyboy (Good player in his day) would have the inside track on Montrose roseleas real future aspirations.

On the east applicants the Lothian clubs I understand are done deals. Syngenta I am unsure about, albeit i think they inquired. Dunblane is news to me. Surprising kennoway unaware that glenrothes strollers did enquire.