Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

1 hour ago, Robert James said:

The Highland League has 18 clubs, not 16, which means clubs play 4 more league games than clubs play in the Lowland, and in the new EoSL Premier Division next season.

Yes all the HFL clubs have floodlights, but they have additional problems with the adverse northern weather conditions, some remote club locations, amateur summer football leagues, and competition from shinty.  Also, the 3  Lowland League clubs without floodlights (VoL, CS Strollers and Whitehill), have again completed their  league fixtures on time.

If with an early season start,  the HFL and the EoSL can do it, then a West pyramid feeder league with 16 clubs, must (surely) be able to do likewise, in order to complete the league fixtures in time for the scheduled play-offs. I thought that this "early start" had already been agreed in principle between the SJFA and the  SFA PWG Reps ?  Or was it 'Fake News' ?

Early start is a non starter.

Was only a Management Committee idea which never got beyond that.

2 hours ago, Robert James said:

The Highland League has 18 clubs, not 16, which means clubs play 4 more league games than clubs play in the Lowland, and in the new EoSL Premier Division next season.

Yes all the HFL clubs have floodlights, but they have additional problems with the adverse northern weather conditions, some remote club locations, amateur summer football leagues, and competition from shinty.  Also, the 3  Lowland League clubs without floodlights (VoL, CS Strollers and Whitehill), have again completed their  league fixtures on time.

If with an early season start,  the HFL and the EoSL can do it, then a West pyramid feeder league with 16 clubs, must (surely) be able to do likewise, in order to complete the league fixtures in time for the scheduled play-offs. I thought that this "early start" had already been agreed in principle between the SJFA and the  SFA PWG Reps ?  Or was it 'Fake News' ?

50 years ago when I watched HL regularly, there were 16 teams and a sectional league cup, so 36 "league" games, plus two KO cups and the KO stages of the league cup. Also, as said, dire weather and long travel. In those days only two clubs had lights, but the league seldom failed to finish the season on time.

The phrase "soft southern B*****ds" springs to mind.

4 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Venom?  That's a strange way to apologise, the only victory here is for common sense and hopefully we start to see even more of it when it comes to a sensible way forward.

As for SFA Licence, I do believe we have just been formally approved by the  SFA Board.

Also Penicuik apparently.  If so, I would assume that other clubs have been informed. However it is very quiet on here, so far, which is surprising. 

Are you sure, as I haven't seen any club announcements so far. I wasn't aware that there was an SFA Board Meeting this week ?

20 hours ago, Black & Red Socks said:

Oh dear. Over and over you demanded an apology to be forthcoming when the time was right and when you were proven correct, but when it turns out you've been proven wrong you don't have the decency to make a proper apology yourself without throwing in a huge dose of bitterness to garnish it. Poor stuff.....and not only have you proved your previous position to be foolish in the extreme you've managed to make yourself look all the more foolish by having a pop at the license situation only for it to bite you on the bum almost immediately. Oh dear - again.

Unable to bring himself to apologise as he said he would, and no contrition for directing false allegations of lying at the EoS board.  I'd like to say I'm surprised but........

19 hours ago, gogsy said:

So far 4/6 clubs that applied that currently have floodlights have announced they have become licensed. Easthouses, Penicuik, Blackburn and Broxburn.  Other two teams that have currently have floodlights Hill of Beath and Tynecastle haven't announced anything yet. The teams that applied that don't have floodlights haven't got their licence although Bonnyrigg, Tranent and Camelon have indicated the floodlight issue is the only reason they failed.

edit Looks like Hill of Beath got their licence as well

Tynecastle too

8 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

What was the outcome of the sjfa meeting last week?

Juniors in at Tier 6 lock stock and barrel the season after next - done deal. When this comes to pass I'll be expecting an apology from you all if, in  the meantime, you take any sort of issue with this.

2 minutes ago, Black & Red Socks said:

Juniors in at Tier 6 lock stock and barrel the season after next - done deal. When this comes to pass I'll be expecting an apology from you all if, in  the meantime, you take any sort of issue with this.

Ha ha, Not again!. 

53 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Tynecastle too

Good news for Tynecastle following their relocation. Not so for Bonnyrigg, Camelon, Dundonald, Haddington, and St Andrews who were apparently rejected, as being without floodlights.

From the other EoS clubs which do  have floodlights, namely :  Sauchie, Nitton, Dalkeith, Dunipace , Dunbar, HW University, and  Leith, can  we conclude that they didn't apply for a licence ?  Up to 17 clubs were  mentioned on here as having applied, plus two West Clubs, who would have been turned down, as they are not playing in the pyramid at present..

8 hours ago, gogsy said:

Some of the ones that have applied haven't completed the process yet, pretty sure Dunipace was one of these. Jeanfield are going through process at the moment according to their twitter account.

How about Sauchie, Nitton and Dalkeith ?

So as it stands....
The Juniors will not take any part in the pyramid season 2019/20,but the SJFA will continue to work with the PWG to come up with a solution to integrate the SJFA clubs for season 2020/21?.

58 minutes ago, PRICEY said:

So as it stands....
The Juniors will not take any part in the pyramid season 2019/20,but the SJFA will continue to work with the PWG to come up with a solution to integrate the SJFA clubs for season 2020/21?.

That's about the size of it and what will probably be fed back to the various AGM's.

Up to the respective  clubs/regions to decide if they are happy to go along with that or not.

On 07/05/2019 at 13:09, edinabear said:

It is quite clear that the people running the Junior game do not want to move across to Senior.  A West of Scotland league could easily be set up for next season. There are 63 West Junior clubs. Whoever wants to move across can move, the rest can stay. Problem solved.

If there is not enough interest then there are 32 teams in the Caledonian League, including Glasgow Uni that I am sure will happily make the move. The Juniors have had plenty of opportunity over the last 10 years to sort this mess. The rest of Scottish football cant just keep waiting. East Juniors did the correct thing and  left on mass now it is time for the West.

Yes a West of Scotland (Tier 6) League could have been set up as quickly as the Lowland League was first established. However, it won't happen for 2019/20, which is disappointing.   

What will be relevant though, will be the outcome of the SJFA and WRJFA Annual General Meetings, as enthusiasm from some clubs about joining the pyramid, appears to have cooled, in part attributable to the SFA Licensing criteria being changed to require floodlights.  A split camp within the Juniors, may emerge about the way ahead. Caused in part by the debacle of the two Superleague structure agreed in principle by the ERJFA clubs, and the SFA's strong reaction against it (as being a pyramid structure at Tier 6). The West juniors may decide to 'go it alone', without the East, but this might involve going against the wishes of TJ and co ?

In keeping with normal practice, the  West Junior clubs remain tight lipped about their wishes.  Last Tuesday Clydebank apparently held a Board of Directors Meeting to discuss the delay in the West joining the pyramid, but no information about the outcome of this meeting, has emerged to date. In a similar vein, Cumnock has not issued a statement about the situation (outcome ?) of its Licence application. The name of the other West Junior Licence applicant, remains unknown.

EDIT : I forgot to respond about Glasgow University (as above). In keeping with the West tradition, "I can't comment at this stage."

Edited by Robert James

On the North Juniors bit, there was a meeting back in November between the HFL and North Region. And it went as everyone probably would of guessed it would have:

“Part of that process was for representatives of the Highland League to meet with representatives of the North Region Junior FA to consider the possibility. That meeting took place in Huntly on November 18, last year and in the course of a cordial discussion, the NRJFA officials made it crystal clear that there was no appetite amongst junior clubs to become Tier 6 in the north, as indeed was their right so to do.”

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/1744053/we-cant-offer-spots-in-the-highland-league-says-secretary-rod-houston/