Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

2 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

You already know there will be conferences below the EoS Premier next season at tier 7, it depends on how many new members there are but it is looking like at least 2 x 12+ team Conferences. Promotion/relegation will be decided once the closing date for applications pass but I would expect the two winners to go upto Premier, and probably a play-off between the runners-up for a third spot. Then again, maybe there could be 4 up/down.

What happens for 2020-2021 will again be decided before the start of next season, IMO forming a EoS First is most likely, so probably the top half finishers in each conference form a new EoS First division (tier 7), and the bottom finishers a Second division (tier 8).  Then again they might go with two regional tier 7 leagues, although that looks a little more difficult. So next season could be the last you can join the EoS and be guaranteed tier 7 entry.

The non-sharing of cup gates has made little difference to us, and of course that rule can be changed if the majority of clubs want it.  The Licence/floodlight situation is immaterial to EoS membership, you don’t need a licence to join.

I'd say for West Lothian and Fife clubs, the EoS is a far more attractive prospect than what has become of the ERJFA.

I am not of the opinion that there needs to be another EoS season of "conferences",  albeit it at tier 7, for the following reasons :

* from what we think we know about the EoS (as at today's date), it appears that the maximum number of clubs for 2019/20, is unlikely to exceed a maximum of 44 in total, and possibly only 42, clubs  therefore only 3 EoS divisions will be required

* the structure at tier 7 should be regional, not hierarchical, for reasons of cost of travel, so what purpose would another year of "conferences" serve - especially as the less ambitious EoS clubs, apparently want a regional split at this level, primarily for cost reasons 

* this would be the future EoS structure, with 16 clubs at tier 6, and a max of 14 x 2 at tier 7 -  therefore a further interim structure is unnecessary

* the pyramid structure in east** and north Scotland, does NOT need 8 or 9 tiers, unless amateur leagues want (in future) to be bolted on at the lower end of the pyramid,  which is certainly unlikely at present

However, if there is a batch of late EoS applicants from the junior ranks, then  I agree, another interim season may be necessary. Otherwise no.

** FOOTNOTE : I realise the West Juniors have been restructured, and the league now extends over 4 levels. It will be interesting to see if this hierarchical structure is sustainable financially, over time. 

4 minutes ago, superbigal said:

So Whitehill Welfare will do anything to avoid being relegated to a league where one of their committee is Vice President.

Only in Scotland

Andrew Renwick is not connected to Whitehill Welfare. 

3 hours ago, 12 Angry Men said:

JC, it's this last bit that I and many others just don't get - loyalty to the grade. I've watched Junior football for years and have enjoyed almost every minute of it. However, I've watched a lot of senior football at all levels and enjoyed it just as much. Teams striving to win, clubs trying to improve themselves and fans, in large numbers or small, engaged in every last kick. Hand on heart, I've seen absolutely no difference between Junior or Senior football. None.

I've even seen you play - I think! - and I've certainly watched the team you currently manage and manage well, so much so that it wouldn't be out of the question for other club's to be interested in what you have to offer as a manager. So, let me ask you a genuine question - if a strong club in the Seniors, say Tier 6 or even at next years Tier 7, were to approach you about becoming their manager and helping them push on would your loyalty to the Junior grade stand in your way or would you make your decision based purely on what that club had to offer? I'd be astounded if you did let loyalty to a dying grade prevent ambition and it really should be the same for your club - aspiration is surely what drives participation?

This is an excellent question which I hoped JC would be able at some point to reply to, but it seems to have been lost in the noise.

Edited by Black & Red Socks

8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This doesn't make any sense. No matter how many promotion and relegation spots there are, all of the above are true.

Lowland League 2 champions promoted

Lowland League 2 runners up promoted.

3rd place possibly involved in a playoff

Or LL2 West champions & LL2 East champions promoted 

LL2 West & East runners up in a playoff

Fixed boundaries between the two leagues.

It really should be easier for the EOS guys to get quick feedback from the PWG meeting.  They are the organisation with the objections to the "current plans".
They have 2 reps.   Is no one speaking to them ?   
 GF, Andrew Renwick (Vice-President, East of Scotland FA) Whitehill Welfare
 - AR, John Greenhorn (Secretary, East of Scotland FA)   Ormiston FC
Only TJ for the Juniors. 

Btw why are Whitehill Welfare represented on the EOS board ?
President is from Edinburgh City of all teams !!!  They could be in SLFL1 next season. About as remote from EOS as you can get.

Think there might be abit of confusion here.

EoSFA is not the same as East of Scotland league, tho a large number of the league are part of the the fa.

4 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Think there might be abit of confusion here.

EoSFA is not the same as East of Scotland league, tho a large number of the league are part of the the fa.

So are they representing the EOS league on the PWG or the EosFA ?  

As the LL is represented I suspect the former.

Another poster said Renwick has no ties to Whitehill.  Who does he have ties with ?

20 minutes ago, superbigal said:

So Whitehill Welfare will do anything to avoid being relegated to a league where one of their committee is Vice President.

Only in Scotland

Its a country that parachuted a new club into the SPFL into 2012 to stop "social unrest"

Edited by Jason King

20 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Only in Scotland

The East of Scotland FA is a different body from the East of Scotland League,  eg. Hearts and Hibs are members of the EoSFA.

4 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

The East of Scotland FA is a different body from the East of Scotland League,  eg. Hearts and Hibs are members of the EoSFA.

But Renwick does represent the EOS League on the Lower Sub PWG you agree ?

If so why someone (According to EOSFL website) associated with a LL club ?

Edited by superbigal

35 minutes ago, lowenan said:

A Lowland League second tier with a West and a East division, is a really good idea. Will make the Scottish Pyramid whole. 

Agreed, then there can easily be 3/4 feeders below it. In my opinion, the only way to have the ERJFA in it would be if the same path is followed as England did with originally allowing overlapping divisions and working towards a geographical split. A way can be to have an LL East with EOSFL & ERJFA feeding into it & an LL West with SOSFL & WRJFA feeding into it. In the east then (providing the boundary gets moved to accomodate the Tayside clubs), the ERJFA can (after a transitional period) become mainly the feeder for Tayside & Fife with the EOSFL being the one for the Lothians & Borders for example. Like in England, the SFA will then eventually decide who goes into which clubs & can force clubs to move from one league to the other (at the same tier) to balance out numbers.

15 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Lowland League 2 champions promoted

Lowland League 2 runners up promoted.

3rd place possibly involved in a playoff

Or LL2 West champions & LL2 East champions promoted 

LL2 West & East runners up in a playoff

Fixed boundaries between the two leagues.

And why would none of that be possible if there were more relegation spots from the Lowland League?

3 minutes ago, superbigal said:

But they do represent the League on the PWG you agree ?

If so why someone (According to EOSFL website) associated with a LL club ?

No idea to be honest, but John Greenhorn is President of the East of Scotland League.  I do know the EoS Board "co-opt" people onto the board to assist in some matters, perhaps that's the reason?

2 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Because lowland league 2 doesn't exist it any form.

The principles behind it could all be applied even without a Lowland League 2 though, by weighting the play-offs between the EoS, SoS, WRJFA/WoS (and potentially EJRFA) clubs appropriately.

59 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Totally. I wish people would move on past who is actually making the post, and comment on what's being said without it becoming personal like some are keen to do.

I didn't realise I had a readership emoji23.png

Well BM like it or not you're the man most associated with driving the pyramid forward on P&B in the eyes of a lot of people.

And yes you have a readership.

2 West club officials think you're great and another 2 think you're a boring cnut

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

The principles behind it could all be applied even without a Lowland League 2 though, by weighting the play-offs between the EoS, SoS, WRJFA/WoS (and potentially EJRFA) clubs appropriately.

That's a terrible system, with so many leagues just below the Lowland League.