Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

23 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Nothing from any West Lothian clubs apparently ?   

The closer it gets to the EoSFL's end of March deadline for new applicants the more it begins to seem that the remaining West Lothian clubs are content to exist in their own wee bubble where, if they can get some sort of regionalisation of the ERSJFA, they fight out as close to a 'local' championship as they can each season and hope against hope that the SJFA can somehow live up to their promise of shoehorning them into the Pyramid - and even that may be, for at least some of them, a promise they'd rather not see fulfilled anyway.

The ambitious and, dare I say it, forward thinking West Lothian clubs - Linlithgow Rose, Bo'ness United, Broxburn Athletic and Blackburn United - have already moved on and left the inadequacies of the Juniors behind with, I understand, one or more of them on the verge of full SFA membership to match Linlithgow's. Sadly though, amongst the remainder it would appear that there is no similar ambition or thoughts on how to grow their clubs and become part of the wider Scottish football community. I truly hope I am proved wrong.

The closer it gets to the EoSFL's end of March deadline for new applicants the more it begins to seem that the remaining West Lothian clubs are content to exist in their own wee bubble where, if they can get some sort of regionalisation of the ERSJFA, they fight out as close to a 'local' championship as they can each season and hope against hope that the SJFA can somehow live up to their promise of shoehorning them into the Pyramid - and even that may be, for at least some of them, a promise they'd rather not see fulfilled anyway. The ambitious and, dare I say it, forward thinking West Lothian clubs - Linlithgow Rose, Bo'ness United, Broxburn Athletic and Blackburn United - have already moved on and left the inadequacies of the Juniors behind with, I understand, one or more of them on the verge of full SFA membership to match Linlithgow's. Sadly though, amongst the remainder it would appear that there is no similar ambition or thoughts on how to grow their clubs and become part of the wider Scottish football community. I truly hope I am proved wrong.

I wouldnt be so sure about none of them moving. Clubs are keeping their cards close to their chest this time ie none of the public annoucements we had last season. That plus the Preston manager on some radio show saying there had been enquiries from West Lothian.

Preston Athletic coach on radio, saying there are more clubs joining the EOS including some from West Lothian. If that's the case then little wonder the East Juniors are apparently looking at just two regional divisions.

16 minutes ago, Sidney Lumet said:

The closer it gets to the EoSFL's end of March deadline for new applicants the more it begins to seem that the remaining West Lothian clubs are content to exist in their own wee bubble where, if they can get some sort of regionalisation of the ERSJFA, they fight out as close to a 'local' championship as they can each season and hope against hope that the SJFA can somehow live up to their promise of shoehorning them into the Pyramid - and even that may be, for at least some of them, a promise they'd rather not see fulfilled anyway.

The ambitious and, dare I say it, forward thinking West Lothian clubs - Linlithgow Rose, Bo'ness United, Broxburn Athletic and Blackburn United - have already moved on and left the inadequacies of the Juniors behind with, I understand, one or more of them on the verge of full SFA membership to match Linlithgow's. Sadly though, amongst the remainder it would appear that there is no similar ambition or thoughts on how to grow their clubs and become part of the wider Scottish football community. I truly hope I am proved wrong.

In advance of last year's March 31st most clubs kept things private. Dalkeith were the main one that went public very early but it was largely guesswork trying to found out who the eventual 13 were. I don't remember Blackburn saying anything official until it was confirmed it was in, even though everyone knew it was a stickler on.

It was only once March 31st past and clubs realised how many were going that the public panic set in with the statements & club egms.

Everyone knows the score now so I don't think it will play out in public. Clubs are already privately weighing their options to make sure they get the best deal for them. Look at how the East Region are suggesting new formats for next season as a sign of that.

There will be clubs with absolutely no intention of moving, and clubs who are looking into it and weighing it up.

As has been pointed out, this time last year there wasn't a great deal of names on the table apart from Dalkeith. I dont think Blackburn had even decided at this stage.

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 22:39, AlanCamelonfan said:

Rumours of Kennoway and rosYth 

Stated by a poster on another thread based on geography, there doesnt seem to be any evidence to actually back this up. Maybe best not to name clubs if you dont actually have any proof. 

1 hour ago, GNU_Linux said:

I wouldnt be so sure about none of them moving. Clubs are keeping their cards close to their chest this time ie none of the public annoucements we had last season. That plus the Preston manager on some radio show saying there had been enquiries from West Lothian.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

In advance of last year's March 31st most clubs kept things private. Dalkeith were the main one that went public very early but it was largely guesswork trying to found out who the eventual 13 were. I don't remember Blackburn saying anything official until it was confirmed it was in, even though everyone knew it was a stickler on.

It was only once March 31st past and clubs realised how many were going that the public panic set in with the statements & club egms.

Everyone knows the score now so I don't think it will play out in public. Clubs are already privately weighing their options to make sure they get the best deal for them. Look at how the East Region are suggesting new formats for next season as a sign of that.

These are absolutely fair points and would certainly give rise to the argument that clubs are weighing up their options and are readying to come to the conclusion that the move that others made last season is the one to follow. I really hope that is the case. However, I just fear that those entrenched in their ways simply aren't being exposed to the realities of the situation and are, therefore, positioned only to remain where they are through either blind loyalty, misinformation or satisfaction that a wee local league is where they used to be and a wee local league is where they wish to return.

I'd like to imagine that the positive nature of the move for those who made it last year would be a huge encouragement for those who didn't to follow suit this year, but I'm just fearful that many involved with the remaining West Lothian clubs who see those who left as nothing more than traitors to the Junior grade will hold sway. You just have to look at the nature of some of the arguments on here and how articulate postings can be railroaded by replies of absolutely no substance that, without any rationale, insist "Juniors is best". I can see just such arguments being played out in committee rooms across West Lothian with articulate voices arguing for change being shouted down. Or worse, I can see inertia meaning no arguments or discussions are taking place at all and the status quo for many or all of these clubs is and will remain their default position.

As I said, I fervently hope I'm wrong.

Edited by Sidney Lumet

45 minutes ago, Jason King said:

Stated by a poster on another thread based on geography, there doesnt seem to be any evidence to actually back this up. Maybe best not to name clubs if you dont actually have any proof. 

Nobody had any proof last year but there were plenty of names flying around, many of which turned out to be true,

On 26/02/2019 at 13:15, Sidney Lumet said:

These are absolutely fair points and would certainly give rise to the argument that clubs are weighing up their options and are readying to come to the conclusion that the move that others made last season is the one to follow. I really hope that is the case. However, I just fear that those entrenched in their ways simply aren't being exposed to the realities of the situation and are, therefore, positioned only to remain where they are through either blind loyalty, misinformation or satisfaction that a wee local league is where they used to be and a wee local league is where they wish to return.

I'd like to imagine that the positive nature of the move for those who made it last year would be a huge encouragement for those who didn't to follow suit this year, but I'm just fearful that many involved with the remaining West Lothian clubs who see those who left as nothing more than traitors to the Junior grade will hold sway. You just have to look at the nature of some of the arguments on here and how articulate postings can be railroaded by replies of absolutely no substance that, without any rationale, insist "Juniors is best". I can see just such arguments being played out in committee rooms across West Lothian with articulate voices arguing for change being shouted down. Or worse, I can see inertia meaning no arguments or discussions are taking place at all and the status quo for many or all of these clubs is and will remain their default position.

As I said, I fervently hope I'm wrong.

Today is the 1st March, which should be an important month for junior and senior clubs. Will it be a decisive month, or (another) damp squid ?

8 minutes ago, amigan said:

Cumnock Juniors applying for SFA licence.  Do they know something we don't or possibly going SoS?

Presumably they've just paid their £2k to start the process, and are hoping the West Juniors will be in the pyramid soon to fulfil the pyramid commitment without needing to move to the SOS. They won't be licensed by June for the Scottish Cup so they have a year to get things sorted, and for the PWG to sort the pyramid.

11 minutes ago, amigan said:

Cumnock Juniors applying for SFA licence.  Do they know something we don't or possibly going SoS?

Most in the West region feel assured they are in the pyramid for 2019-20. Only makes sense to apply, especially if they tick all the boxes.

Hopefully others follow.

Dissapointing in the East regarding postponement of Arbroath Vics v Coupar Angus.

Coupar had recently filled their team with a Dundee Saturday Morning (Sidlaw I believe) manager and players.

Believe he quit after 1 game and all the players were way out of their depth in the Juniors.

They have all now walked and they have very few players left.

On 01/03/2019 at 18:37, superbigal said:

Dissapointing in the East regarding postponement of Arbroath Vics v Coupar Angus.

Coupar had recently filled their team with a Dundee Saturday Morning (Sidlaw I believe) manager and players.

Believe he quit after 1 game and all the players were way out of their depth in the Juniors.

They have all now walked and they have very few players left.

Will they complete the season ?

Future "abeyance" ?

On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 12:16, FairWeatherFan said:

Most in the West region feel assured they are in the pyramid for 2019-20. Only makes sense to apply, especially if they tick all the boxes.

Hopefully others follow.

Only looking from the outside in, as I deal with youth coaching part of a junior team in the west but I find it very interesting.

I'm lead to believe from rumours and hearsay only,  it seems like many junior teams, especially in the 'West' are unsure so waiting to see what is happening. If Cumnock has applied then good for them and hope everything they have in place fits the criteria set down by the SFA to become a member club.    I'm sure there is many swithering including Clydebank whom I feel its only time once they jump. Teams like Pollok, I believe won't jump due to the lack of facitlies that the SFA require to become a member club, the size of the park is too small and no floodlights etc...

If half of the west junior clubs jumped, wonder if there would be just a WEST league equivalent to the South league and the East of Scotland league.

Personally, it would be great if the four west divisions would stay the way they are and become part of the pyramid system and the top division would be the equivalent of the south and east leagues.

Anyone know officially which junior clubs in the 3 regions, 'West', 'East' and 'North' are known NOT to have the correct facilities to become a member club ?
I know Clydebank are laying a new bigger footballing surface and floodlights and should be ready by April
Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

12 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:
Only looking from the outside in, as I deal with youth coaching part of a junior team in the west but I find it very interesting.

I'm lead to believe form rumours and hearsay only,  it seems like many junior teams, especially in the 'West' are unsure so waiting to see what is happening. If Cumnock has applied then good for them and hope everything they have in place fits the criteria set down by the SFA to become a member club.    I'm sure there is many swithering including Clydebank whom I feel its only time once they jump. Teams like Pollok, I believe won't jump due to the lack of facitlies that the SFA require to become a member club, the size of the park is too small and no floodlights etc...

If half of the west junior clubs jumped, wonder if there would be just a WEST league equivalent to the South league and the East of Scotland league.

Personally, it would be great if the four west divisions would stay the way they are and become part of the pyramid system and the top division would be the equivalent of the south and east leagues.

Anyone know officially which junior clubs in the 3 regions, 'West', 'East' and 'North' are known NOT to have the correct facilities to become a member club ?
I know Clydebank are laying a new bigger footballing surface and floodlights and should be ready by April

Pollok's pitch would only stop them gaining bronze I think (and we're not alone in having a small surface, below 110 x 70 yds). Lights though something else, also general facilities.

Edited by cmontheloknow