Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

9 minutes ago, Chis said:

Provision of floodlights is not currently a  requirement under the licensing criteria.

No, but floodlights will be required for new applicants from now on. There'll be a grace period for current licencees and those clubs who've already applied.

11 minutes ago, Blackie Gold said:

Apart from the plazzy pitch council owned netted cage no terrace set up I can't recall any other clubs

What does this even mean? You can't think of any non-SPFL clubs with floodlights? There's loads. Very few of them playing on the astro cages you're describing. If clubs like Fort William, Dalbeattie Star, etc can manage then why do you think Talbot can't?

23 minutes ago, Blackie Gold said:

Apart from the plazzy pitch council owned netted cage no terrace set up I can't recall any other clubs

Dear god.

20 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

No, but floodlights will be required for new applicants from now on. There'll be a grace period for current licencees and those clubs who've already applied.

Following discussion with relevant personnel I can confirm that new applications for licensing do not require floodlights under the criteria.

11 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

What does this even mean? You can't think of any non-SPFL clubs with floodlights? There's loads. Very few of them playing on the astro cages you're describing. If clubs like Fort William, Dalbeattie Star, etc can manage then why do you think Talbot can't?

I think its because were Junior and don't need them. Maybe thats why we spent our money on the pitch, stand, enclosures, catering facilities, disabled and ladies toilets. No doubt lights will follow, but it was getting your priorities right and still being successful. We don't need anybody telling us whats right or wrong.

11 minutes ago, Chis said:

Following discussion with relevant personnel I can confirm that new applications for licensing do not require floodlights under the criteria.

5.7 - Released by the SFA last night for new Licensing Criteria for Entry Level.  

Unless you are a current license holder, any new applicant will require floodlights.

Screenshot 2018-12-12 at 21.34.32.png

Hopefully helps.

Edited by Hossy87

14 minutes ago, Chis said:

Are you sure? There's an email gone round from the SFA with the recent licencing criteria that says otherwise. There's a derogation in place, but clubs will still have to install floodlights by (I think it was) 2020-21

6 minutes ago, Blackie Gold said:

I think its because were Junior and don't need them. Maybe thats why we spent our money on the pitch, stand, enclosures, catering facilities, disabled and ladies toilets. No doubt lights will follow, but it was getting your priorities right and still being successful. We don't need anybody telling us whats right or wrong.

Beechwood Park is a cracking ground, no-one's denying that. Calm down.

If you're going for your licence (which looks like it's going to be easier if the West moves over) you'll need lights though.

7 hours ago, Hossy87 said:

5.7 - Released by the SFA last night for new Licensing Criteria for Entry Level.  

Unless you are a current license holder, any new applicant will require floodlights.

Screenshot 2018-12-12 at 21.34.32.png

Hopefully helps.

7 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

Are you sure? There's an email gone round from the SFA with the recent licencing criteria that says otherwise. There's a derogation in place, but clubs will still have to install floodlights by (I think it was) 2020-21

So it looks like a licence can gotten without floodlights as long as your club makes a pledge to install them in a couple of years.Makes sense.

Makes absolute sense for a club like Talbot to have floodlights anyway. Apart from anything else it would take a huge amount of late season strain off of the playing staff and the paying punters as the league fixtures they're currently needing to make up could be cleared with a lot less fuss if staggered over the remainder of the season rather than condensed into the last 2 months. 

It's a fair whack of money to be sinking into a single facility so I can understand the reluctance, but you could have argued that about their excellent pitch too, until you look at the slew of trophies they've won since they upgraded that. 

Floodlights really should be in regular use throughout the Junior and general non-league game as standard provided they meet basic criteria, and I'd imagine this is going to become the norm soon enough so best not to get left behind. 

2 hours ago, happy said:

So it looks like a licence can gotten without floodlights as long as your club makes a pledge to install them in a couple of years.Makes sense.

You've read wrong. 

Derogation for current members. 

No license for new applicants without.  

13 hours ago, Blackie Gold said:

Seems to be a lot of people  wanting to spend Talbot's money.  Of course while the club were battling to reach the 4th round, the players didn't need paid or a win bonus, the bus to Wick, Cove and Fraserburgh didn't need petrol. Travelodge gave the Talbot squad three free nights before these games. Get real or better still try and emulate what Talbot have done. It looks like if we want to play in the big Scottish again we might have to invest in a wee plazzy pitch and a wee cage ground with no terrace and of course a bus shelter to battle the elements.

If Talbot chose to stay in hotels for those games that's on them, there is no requirement to do so. Falkirk are full time with average crowds over 4k and we'd not stay in a hotel for an away game at Aberdeen or Dingwall.

Auchinleck Talbot may be a Junior Club but we try to ensure, wherever possible, that players are in the best condition before setting foot on a pitch, especially in important matches. If that means avoiding having to make journeys of 4/5 hours or more, a considerably bit longer to Wick, on the day of a match before kick-off then so be it. We consider it good practice and it has certainly been a factor in our success so far this season in the William Hill Scottish Cup.

34 minutes ago, Chis said:

Auchinleck Talbot may be a Junior Club but we try to ensure, wherever possible, that players are in the best condition before setting foot on a pitch, especially in important matches. If that means avoiding having to make journeys of 4/5 hours or more, a considerably bit longer to Wick, on the day of a match before kick-off then so be it. We consider it good practice and it has certainly been a factor in our success so far this season in the William Hill Scottish Cup.

Don't moan about the cost of eg floodlights in that case.

3 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

The early kick offs because of no lights are also a pain in the backside.

This.

Nothing worse than having an important league game midweek in early May and only having 13 players (one of whom is some guy the left winger knows who plays amateur and who has never met the rest of the squad never mind trained with them and at least one 45 year old member of the coaching staff being stripped as well) as the rest of the squad cant get to the game from their work.

Lights will help clubs.

Edited by Jason King

6 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Don't moan about the cost of eg floodlights in that case.

He did say the stays in the Travel Lodge were free.

Also Falkirk is a full time team and Talbot are part time. Might be a bit much to ask players to do that amount of travel the day after a shift. Not as much an issue for players who've had a day's rest beforehand.

And Auchinleck to Wick is about three times the journey that Falkirk to Aberdeen is.

53 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

He did say the stays in the Travel Lodge were free.

Also Falkirk is a full time team and Talbot are part time. Might be a bit much to ask players to do that amount of travel the day after a shift. Not as much an issue for players who've had a day's rest beforehand.

And Auchinleck to Wick is about three times the journey that Falkirk to Aberdeen is.

The point in bold was clearly him being sarcastic (in line with the rest of his post).

Not too much for players to take a half day off to travel up on the Friday then nah? Does every part time team do this for a journey to eg Cove?

No idea. I know that a game away to Wick wont be a gimme for Talbot so it's a cost/reward scenario. Spending a few bob on a good night's kip might be the difference between making it to the next round or getting papped out. I doubt Girvan, for instance, would want to do the same as their budget is smaller and the chance of success slimmer even with a night's stay up in the Highlands.

Either way it seems a bit petty to point out the odd expense, in exceptional circumstances, as a stick to beat someone with. Especially if that expense has, potentially, led to more income.