Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

1 minute ago, Burnie_man said:

You may have gathered by now I've had personal experience of the Junior shysters, as I said it's not confined to the SPLF/SFA.  At the end of the day if we allow the blazers (at whatever level) to influence what football we watch, they win.

They can have it. I'm not in competition with them.

You may have gathered by now I've had personal experience of the Junior shysters, as I said it's not confined to the SPLF/SFA.  At the end of the day if we allow the blazers (at whatever level) to influence what football we watch, they win.

They win anyway. They have have the power and most clubs support their position. The clubs that want to drive change are shouted down and marginalised (I have first hand experience of both). The introduction of SPFL 3 shouldn’t happen, but it probably will but it shouldn’t influence the change that needs to take place in the non league side of things which is long overdue.

2 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

They win anyway. They have have the power and most clubs support their position. The clubs that want to drive change are shouted down and marginalised (I have first hand experience of both). The introduction of SPFL 3 shouldn’t happen, but it probably will but it shouldn’t influence the change that needs to take place in the non league side of things which is long overdue.

SPFL3 is a farce, to a degree this Lowland League 2 that is proposed is self protectionism as well for LL clubs, but it can also be a benefit depending on how they do it.

Ultimately as you say, change needs to happen and IS happening. Not everyone in the Senior game is delighted by that prospect.

Im as pro-pyramid as they come (pretty sure I worked in construction in Ancient Egypt in a past life) but I'm in agreement SPFL3 is an awful idea. It seems like another attempt to shoehorn colts by certain parties more than self preservation on part of the Albion Rovers & Cowdenbeaths of the world (no disrespect intended). For me personally theres more to a pyramid that getting to the SPFL. Theres plenty of benefits ie licensing, youth setups & grants amongst others (been listed in the thread before but cant find them). The majority of clubs are never going to reach the SPFL but if pyramids were purely based on all clubs reaching the same level they'd be very small affairs. If Pollok never played beyond the West or Lowland League in an integrated system I'd be fine with that as an all integrated Scottish football system is the correct thing as all clubs get to find their level whether its lofty or sustainability without barriers. That and the benefits on offer far outweigh the benefits of remaining outwith the system.

I don't think having colts in the league is the disaster that some believe but to shoe horn them in at league 3 is an absolute nonsense.  They need to start at the bottom of any pyramid. To have another national League when there's a strong argument for regionalising league 1 and 2 is mental.  This, coupled with a lowland league 2 is really two completely unnecessary levels on the pyramid

21 minutes ago, edinabear said:

I don't think having colts in the league is the disaster that some believe but to shoe horn them in at league 3 is an absolute nonsense.  They need to start at the bottom of any pyramid. To have another national League when there's a strong argument for regionalising league 1 and 2 is mental.  This, coupled with a lowland league 2 is really two completely unnecessary levels on the pyramid

Yes it would be a disaster, and any other sense you make is overshadowed by that.

Colt sides are just a trojan horse to spread the old firm nonsense into every last facet of Scottish football. It's the exact opposite of what is needed.

It's one thing for the likes of Hibs reserves to have played in the EoS not too long ago, or even Stirling Uni to have teams in the LL and EoS, because no-one really much notices - these teams are literally there to make up the numbers.

But its quite another to have Old Firm or even bigger senior clubs putting teams into the lower leagues because they would be winning titles a lot of the time. Titles which their fans would not give a crap about, yet the fans of proper clubs at those levels do. I hope the decision makers take this into account, its tough to attract fans as it is without lowering the chances of their teams winning something. 

This whole SPFL3 charade will make more than a few junior teams wonder what the point of the pyramid is at all. This idea should be binned at once.

25 minutes ago, Cameron Wilson said:

Colt sides are just a trojan horse to spread the old firm nonsense into every last facet of Scottish football. It's the exact opposite of what is needed.

It's one thing for the likes of Hibs reserves to have played in the EoS not too long ago, or even Stirling Uni to have teams in the LL and EoS, because no-one really much notices - these teams are literally there to make up the numbers.

But its quite another to have Old Firm or even bigger senior clubs putting teams into the lower leagues because they would be winning titles a lot of the time. Titles which their fans would not give a crap about, yet the fans of proper clubs at those levels do. I hope the decision makers take this into account, its tough to attract fans as it is without lowering the chances of their teams winning something. 

This whole SPFL3 charade will make more than a few junior teams wonder what the point of the pyramid is at all. This idea should be binned at once.

Wouldn’t be too sure about the Old Firm winning titles against the diddy teams.

see Irn Bru Cup for details 

Edited by Glenconner

From what I understand the main argument for colt sides is so that the young players have a more competitive league to develop in - surely the best solution would be for these young players to be loaned out to the likes of lowland league clubs, junior clubs etc rather than effectively creating a second first team and branding it colt?

30 minutes ago, boulderdomb said:

From what I understand the main argument for colt sides is so that the young players have a more competitive league to develop in - surely the best solution would be for these young players to be loaned out to the likes of lowland league clubs, junior clubs etc rather than effectively creating a second first team and branding it colt?

The problem with that is they are coached in the particular way the team they have been loaned out to play and when they return to their own clubs it's hard to adapt back to a style which may be completely different to that they have been playing.

If they stay with their own clubs and play genuinely competitive games then that aids their development and pathway into the 1st team.

iirc under the new loan changes via project brave players can train with their parent club and also turn out in the reserve league for said club alongside playing for the club they are on loan at.

An issue with colts is that lower league clubs have less options in the loan market which is vital for lower league clubs as it allows them to bolster squad numbers without the financial cost/burden of outright signing players

21 hours ago, Glenconner said:

I doubt anybody at Cowdenbeath or Albion Rovers gives an eff about Colt clubs if it means staying in the league.

It wouldn't surprise me if that turned out to be the case.

But if they are going to add another tier to the bottom of the SPFL filled with HL, LL and colt sides the difference between such a new bottom tier of the "league" and "non-league" starts to look a bit academic.

15 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Changes have occured to entry level licensing. As has been rumoured already entry level now requires floodlights (no clue as to the lux spec however).

I think having floodlights as a requirement is a good idea however my two main concerns are how many junior clubs currently have them installed Vs the number that don't and how much will it cost the clubs to install them? Could the financial impact destroy some of the clubs?

I think having floodlights as a requirement is a good idea however my two main concerns are how many junior clubs currently have them installed Vs the number that don't and how much will it cost the clubs to install them? Could the financial impact destroy some of the clubs?
Theres access to various grants that can help offset the cost partially. I'd imagine clubs playing at council/community facilities may have an easier time getting lights vs club owned ones.

Remember that for the majority of Junior clubs, an entry level Licence only becomes relevant to enter the Scottish Cup, the vast majority won't get anywhere near the Lowland League.

Not having a Licence won't stop you playing in the Pyramid, there are three current LL members without floodlights.

10 minutes ago, boulderdomb said:

Four West Premiership clubs have them - Clydebank, Cumnock, Petershill and Renfrew. Kilwinning would presumably have them if they moved to the sports club. The floodlights installed at Selkirk before things went tits up were £58k, with £20k coming from the Scottish Football Partnership: https://scottishborders.moderngov.co.uk/documents/s16598/Item 8 - Application from Selkirk FC.pdf

If clubs want to get a licence, play in the Lowland League and receive the benefits of those then they have to make infrastructure investments to match their on-field performances. Auchinleck for example will bank £30k from their Scottish Cup run so if they want to move up then they have a choice as to where the money goes.

15 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Changes have occured to entry level licensing. As has been rumoured already entry level now requires floodlights (no clue as to the lux spec however).

The spec for entry level at the moment is only 200 lux if you have them, bronze is 300 for entry to the SPFL.