Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

8 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

They fall under the community board of the SFA like the juniors do, while the LL and HL fall under the professional game board. It's not clear at this point (neither Burnieman or locheeboy have convincingly proved their assertions on this subject) that the EoS has the ability to block another community board level league with on overlapping geographical catchment from entering the pyramid at tier 6.

They obviously don't have "the ability to block" anything, given that the SFA administer the pyramid structure. However, they have the ability to advocate for their members at the PWG, which is what they are doing.

Pinch of salt comes to mind. The next PWG meeting is due in January, and as far as I am aware there were no agreements made at the one last month (hence still no statement). The LL/HL boundary hasn't moved either.

Now the SFA could run roughshod over the opinions of the EoS in favour of the SJFA, and also ignore the boundary I suppose, but will they? We'll see.

On 31/10/2018 at 16:31, Pyramidic said:

Can you tell us what the position is re Glasgow University and the pyramid Robert? Do they intend to join the WR, SoS or remain as they are?

Would the University be prepared to start at Tier 9 in the WR?

I have answered this question several times before.

I am not a spokesperson for Glasgow Uni. My university days were 40 years ago.  The proposals, if they come to fruition in the West, gives them a problem, primarily related to their ground. The Uni's sports complex is very good, but it caters for a wide range of sports, of which football is only one. To meet SFA ground licensing requirements, would threaten some of the other activities, which as I understand it, are very well supported by students. They have 4 football teams playing competitive  football, at Glasgow Amateur level, and in national University competitions.

The University values its long SFA membership, and does not wish to give it up, or have it taken away. It has been content to play at a professional club ground for participation in the Scottish, but in my view is unlikely to follow the likes of Edusport  by playing away from the campus on a regular basis. However, I am sure that there have been discussions about the merits of joining a West pyramid league, albeit with a realisation that there are not likely to compete with top junior clubs on a regular basis.

As far as I can recall (not very far these days !) they did enquire about joining the Lowland League when it was originally formed. If so, they were not accepted, or maybe they 'withdrew'.  My prediction is that the Uni will continue to play in its existing (strong) Glasgow based amateur league, but will seek ongoing SFA "historic rights" membership. Is that unreasonable ? Banks O'Dee may well join an extended northern pyramid, if/when it is formed, but what about Golspie Sutherland, a very stable/historic club, that has never sought Highland League membership ?   Tricky times ahead.

On 02/12/2018 at 03:13, GNU_Linux said:

Entry level license or greater is mandatory for guaranteed entry. Unlicensed clubs can qualify via winning either one of the junior regional top tiers or sjfa cup. Same applies to the winners of EOS,SOS, South & East Scotland Cup Winners Shield in the pyramid (all HL & LL members are licensed already as its mandatory at tier 5 & higher). Amateur cup winners also qualify. Gaining a license requires a commit to the pyramid. In theory if things get sorted in next month or two clubs would be free to apply for a license before the March 31st deadline.

Spot on.  What is the latest on Licensing ? I've been away in Canada, so out of touch.

Also, why doesn't the NCL's champion club get an invite as well as the above ?  Answer : its' too far to travel for existing SFA member clubs to support  it.

21 minutes ago, Robert James said:

The Uni's sports complex is very good, but it caters for a wide range of sports, of which football is only one. To meet SFA ground licensing requirements, would threaten some of the other activities, which as I understand it, are very well supported by students.

Does that mean the pitch is not enclosed?  

Whilst I think the need for an enclosed pitch is a reasonable requirement, the SFA ground licensing requirements situation in general reminds me a little of bit of the SPL's old 10,000 seater rule a good few years back. It seems that in  some cases the requirements are  a bit strict for the LL, other senior leagues and junior clubs as well.

5 hours ago, Cameron Wilson said:

Does that mean the pitch is not enclosed?  

Whilst I think the need for an enclosed pitch is a reasonable requirement, the SFA ground licensing requirements situation in general reminds me a little of bit of the SPL's old 10,000 seater rule a good few years back. It seems that in  some cases the requirements are  a bit strict for the LL, other senior leagues and junior clubs as well.

The ground requirements are not strict at all. They are only strict to clubs that have a pitch, not a ground.

Licensing opened up for this season a few weeks ago. A fair few EOS clubs are taking steps towards licensing. No clue about the SOS although I do know Creetown & Bonnyton have done work so may also be pursuing licensing.

5 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

If it happens then it has a knock on effect with the Lowland League. 4 teams would go up out the LL. That leaves 4 places in the LL plus the defunct Selkirk spot up for grabs. Should be easy enough to fill the LL places from the EoSL. And so on to replace the missing EoSL teams. All that’s needed now is a LL2 to start.

If it happens then it has a knock on effect with the Lowland League. 4 teams would go up out the LL. That leaves 4 places in the LL plus the defunct Selkirk spot up for grabs. Should be easy enough to fill the LL places from the EoSL. And so on to replace the missing EoSL teams. All that’s needed now is a LL2 to start.
The Highland League could lose 4 or 5 members (depending on the SPFL2 playoff result). HL territory has 2 licensed clubs outside the HL. Banks O'Dee may be willing to step up but Golspie Sutherland are in no position to do so. To even get to 16 the HL may be forced to take on the colts of ICT & Ross County. Even if the feeders to the HL get set in place the probability of any clubs getting entry level by March 31st seems very low.

46 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:
2 hours ago, Glenconner said:

The Highland League could lose 4 or 5 members (depending on the SPFL2 playoff result). HL territory has 2 licensed clubs outside the HL. Banks O'Dee may be willing to step up but Golspie Sutherland are in no position to do so. To even get to 16 the HL may be forced to take on the colts of ICT & Ross County. Even if the feeders to the HL get set in place the probability of any clubs getting entry level by March 31st seems very low.

Highland having a smaller division would help with selling of a national non-league cup. Right now they just don't have enough saturdays but a few less teams could have that potential benefit.

Edited by cmontheloknow

I've reluctantly backed the pyramid as my head ruled my heart. It made sense and although I don't follow the copy England model, I've sent it work there.

However, the SPFL 3 has me wondering again why decent non league clubs and divisions should get involved with the reprobates that run senior football.

I've already dumped senior football, 10 years ago now. I doubt I'd completely stop going to junior/non league games but this is shite and I wouldn't go near that division and most likely not to its direct feeder division.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I've already dumped senior football, 10 years ago now. I doubt I'd completely stop going to junior/non league games but this is shite and I wouldn't go near that division and most likely not to its direct feeder division.

Why? it's just football at the end of the day and although I can see good reason - as a neutral - to avoid games involving Colt sides, why boycott the rest?   The whole Scottish game is riven with shysters, dont kid yourself that it is restricted to only one part of the game.

That said, SPFL3 is completely bonkers, I doubt they'll find 4 HL clubs willing to take part.

1 minute ago, Burnie_man said:

Why? it's just football at the end of the day and although I can see good reason - as a neutral - to avoid games involving Colt sides, why boycott the rest?   The whole Scottish game is riven with shysters, dont kid yourself that it is restricted to only one part of the game.

That said, SPFL3 is completely bonkers, I doubt they'll find 4 HL clubs willing to take part.

I've deliberately remained in blissful ignorance about the non league shysters. I have personal experience of the League and its governing bodies and I won't put a penny near them (other than tv subscription, which is under review).

Clubs have been encouraged to join a pyramid, then a previously undisclosed barrier is put in the way. I would call that fraud. I'd rather keep a respectable distance between myself, the SPFL and those who support it.

11 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I've deliberately remained in blissful ignorance about the non league shysters. I have personal experience of the League and its governing bodies and I won't put a penny near them (other than tv subscription, which is under review).

Clubs have been encouraged to join a pyramid, then a previously undisclosed barrier is put in the way. I would call that fraud. I'd rather keep a respectable distance between myself, the SPFL and those who support it.

You may have gathered by now I've had personal experience of the Junior shysters, as I said it's not confined to the SPLF/SFA.  At the end of the day if we allow the blazers (at whatever level) to influence what football we watch, they win.