Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

1 hour ago, Burnie_man said:

You need a demarcation line between Highland and Lowland League areas otherwise it gets a bit messy, SPFL clubs need to know where they are going should they get relegated.

I'd expect there to be a similar line once a WoSFL gets off the ground between them and EoSFL.

Once the set-up is properly in place, I don't think a west/east dividing line is needed. Instead, they can shift clubs from west to east or vice versa like they do in England with National League North/South. That's not realistic for HL/LL for previously discussed reasons, but for east/west that should be no problem.

Highland & Lowland leagues have a set boundary. The EoS & I suppose the SoS as Lowland League feeders enforce that boundary. 
There's no demarcation between the EoS & SoS however.
Are you sure? From what I've read the line exists to tell relegated SPFL clubs go, but it's not in the rules of the LL or HL. I could be wrong about that, I can't be arsed trying to check in my phone, but that's how I understood it. If so, there wouldn't be anything to prevent the LL or EoSL from accepting clubs from north of the line.

7 hours ago, GordonS said:
9 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:
Highland & Lowland leagues have a set boundary. The EoS & I suppose the SoS as Lowland League feeders enforce that boundary. 
There's no demarcation between the EoS & SoS however.

Are you sure? From what I've read the line exists to tell relegated SPFL clubs go, but it's not in the rules of the LL or HL. I could be wrong about that, I can't be arsed trying to check in my phone, but that's how I understood it. If so, there wouldn't be anything to prevent the LL or EoSL from accepting clubs from north of the line.

You might be right. I've not checked the HL/LL constitutions for it in a bit and the boundary is only mentioned in reference to what league club 42 go into.

At the time of all the EoS moves I wanted a North of Tay club to apply to push the issue as there's nothing explicit in the EoS constitution to rule it out that I remember.

The spirit of the boundary might be what's being enforced. You'd want to avoid: LL champion promoted, relegated as club 42 and forced to join the HL. Only for the club to go "why can't we go back to the LL?"

The footprints of the Highland and Lowland Leagues have been established. You can't have feeders to them going outwith that. For argument's stake Lochee Utd win EoS then as noted above, have nowhere to go as HFL may also have a candidate club from its own feeder to replace its Club 18 (Fort William). Clubs NoT go into Highland, SoT go into LL. Do we need to make it more complicated than that? England clearly does things a little differently and for a while had overlapping tiers below the Conference before the introduction on Conf N and S but is everything they do worth mimicking?

2 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

The footprints of the Highland and Lowland Leagues have been established. You can't have feeders to them going outwith that. For argument's stake Lochee Utd win EoS then as noted above, have nowhere to go as HFL may also have a candidate club from its own feeder to replace its Club 18 (Fort William). Clubs NoT go into Highland, SoT go into LL. Do we need to make it more complicated than that? England clearly does things a little differently and for a while had overlapping tiers below the Conference before the introduction on Conf N and S but is everything they do worth mimicking?

The boundary was basically set in stone once Montrose were told they'd be relegated to the Highland League.

The whole pyramid promotion/relegation set up was established to give the SPFL clubs the best shot at staying put.

If they were willing to put the Angus clubs into a league they don't want to be in, why would they care about Tayside juniors.

The HL/LL boundry is how it is to compensate for shortage of SPFL teams in north. If LL territory included Angus then the SPFL would have only 5 clubs in HL territory (Aberdeen, Peterhead, Elgin, Ross County & ICT). With Angus in HL territory the number goes to 11.

50 minutes ago, COG said:

My young lad knocked back a full time contract to play Junior and do a college course. After reading this thread he better only take one year to get the qualification! 

No reason for him to worry tbh. Even if the juniors disappear, the same clubs will still exist, probably offering the same conditions to players, but just in different leagues.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

:lol: I'm sure Spartans had 17 away fans at another game against higher opposition a few seasons ago. 

They did but I’m sure one of them sadly died and another was getting into the bowling so they must have boosted their numbers again ?! 

16 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

Yet according to Sportsound only 17 Spartans fans went through. Maybe tell them!  :lol:

13 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Not what was on twitter last night:

but 71 seemed a bit on the high side.

Aye they're dyslexic on soundsports  :blink:

Why is how many fans attended a game important? Isn't the product on the park and the type of game (playing a team from a higher league and holding your own) far more important than how many attended?

40 minutes ago, G4Mac said:

Why is how many fans attended a game important? Isn't the product on the park and the type of game (playing a team from a higher league and holding your own) far more important than how many attended?

In terms of my posts, it was a tongue in cheek response to the one from newcy brown.

4 hours ago, G4Mac said:

Are you serious .  

4 hours ago, G4Mac said:

“Football is nothing without fans.”

Jock Stein

Yes daleboy it was a serious question. I realise that some of the posts were tongue in cheek and were jest, but some were aimed at being a dig at Spartans for not carrying a huge support.

Now whilst I believe clubs require a support to function, if they can function with a support of 71 or 17 why does that matter to anyone else other than the club.... There appears to be those amongst us that believe having a massive following is far better than playing at a higher level or that the fact they carry a larger support than others that they hold more weight as a club than their peers. 

I just hate the argument of 'we have more fans attending games than you therefore we can freely mock you for the size if your support'.

Just a personal opinion though and one comment i've seen continuously about the size of a teams support that i've never really felt I understood in terms of its relevance. 

Edited by Guest