Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

21 minutes ago, Marten said:

The EoSFL have confirmed that (at least) one club north of the Tay approached them, so who knows what might have been / is being discussed with them...

Its probably not within the power of the EoSFL to discuss anything given Tayside clubs dont fall into the LL area, maybe it ended in a simple rejection of that basis?  Maybe something for the PWG to discuss but as I said, it would also need to involve the SPFL if any alterations to the boundary are to be considered.  I'd be surprised if it was.

58 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Its probably not within the power of the EoSFL to discuss anything given Tayside clubs dont fall into the LL area, maybe it ended in a simple rejection of that basis?  Maybe something for the PWG to discuss but as I said, it would also need to involve the SPFL if any alterations to the boundary are to be considered.  I'd be surprised if it was.

True, the official response will likely have been a decline. But we don't know whether or not there have been more talks about what happens in the north (and if the EoSFL could assist in any way if there is any demand?).

On 29/06/2018 at 08:45, drs said:

Error strewn pish in the new When Saturday Comes about teams leaving the Juniors. Gave up after the second paragraph, doubt the "author" has ever been to a Junior game in his life.

“Fifeshire”

1 hour ago, The Mantis said:

“Fifeshire”

Yeah that grated a bit.

On 29/06/2018 at 08:45, drs said:

Error strewn pish in the new When Saturday Comes about teams leaving the Juniors. Gave up after the second paragraph, doubt the "author" has ever been to a Junior game in his life.

Other than the above though I'm struggling to work out what other errors you see in the article.

I thought it was a reasonably accurate, well-written piece, and helpfully informative for those outside Scotland who know little or nothing about the non-League scene here.

23 minutes ago, archieb said:

Yeah that grated a bit.

Other than the above though I'm struggling to work out what other errors you see in the article.

I thought it was a reasonably accurate, well-written piece, and helpfully informative for those outside Scotland who know little or nothing about the non-League scene here.

Same here really.  Stuck to the basics for the benefit of the vast majority of readers who wouldn't have a clue what was going on.

8 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Same here really.  Stuck to the basics for the benefit of the vast majority of readers who wouldn't have a clue what was going on.

Me three. Mind you, not sure whether Kelty qualifies as a ‘small village’. 

P.s. I’ve only just got the pun in the title. Couldn’t fathom why he wrote ‘nay’ instead of ‘nae’ :1eye

On 30/06/2018 at 19:50, The Mantis said:

Me three. Mind you, not sure whether Kelty qualifies as a ‘small village’. 

Indeed, it's bigger than Dingwall, to pick  a SPFL venue at random. However, Dingwall has a vast hinterland. Mainly populated by sheep and deer, who are, of course,  all staunch County supporters.

On the face of it, nothing to stop Kelty making it to the Premier and indeed Europe.

This guy makes a good argument. I took this off the Johnstone Burgh site. Hey ho. 

pyramid09 Avatar
pyramid09
Newspaper Reader
Apr 3, 2018 at 8:16pm
likePost Options                     Options                                          Select Post                     Deselect Post                     Report Post                                          Back to Top                 
redwhite1 said:
How will having a licence attract supporters or sponsors? 

Having an SFA Licence guarentees entry to the Scottish Cup. Having a licence also opens up access to funding and grants from the SFA which could be used to improve facilities and infrastructure.

My opinion is that by being seen as a progressive, ambitious club, with guarenteed Scottish Cup entry, this would attract more sponsors and supporters to matches. Johnstone is a town of over 15,000 people. There is potential for the club to grow.

Kelty Hearts have been trailblazers as far as joining the Pyramid goes. One of their Members posted on Pie & Bovril what benefits they have gained through joining the East of Scotland League, which I have posted below:

What does the East of Scotland Football League have to offer?

• Membership of EOSFL which confirms acceptance of and commitment to the pyramid system thereby satisfying a mandatory requirement of being granted a Club Licence. SJFA - No

• Automatic entry to the Scottish Cup for Champion Club irrespective of licencing status which will generate a minimum income in excess of £3,000 SJFA - YES

• 3 ways of Scottish Cup Entry, EOS & SOS League Champions, Alex Jack Cup Winner, Any Licenced Club SJFA - No

• £3,000 Funding towards ground improvements available to all un-licenced clubs looking to gain their SFA Licence. SJFA - No

• Up to £10,000 funding as an EOS club available from Scottish Football Partnership towards ground improvements. SJFA - No

• Our ambition is to have all Members licenced as soon as possible and thereby automatically in the Scottish Cup every year. SJFA - No

• Very likely more promotion places will be available to enter the Lowland League from Tier 6. SJFA - No

• Depending on interest from that area a possible West Of Scotland division would be looked at for tier 6. SJFA - Yes

• SFA Sports First Aid courses at heavily discounted rates (or free of charge). SFA Licence compliant. SJFA - No

• All clubs supplied with a defibrillator and associated training. SFA Licence compliant. SJFA - No

• Bespoke personalised first aid bag. SJFA - No

• Personal Accident and Liability insurance incl. player to player liability paid for by the League. SFA Licence compliant. SJFA - No (EOS supply all 3 insurances that pass Licence criteria)

• Match balls and training balls supplied each season. SJFA - Yes (Matchballs only)

• Coaching courses at heavily discounted rates (or free of charge) up to C Licence level. SJFA - Unsure

• Prize money for those Clubs finishing in the top four in the league. SJFA - Yes

• A sound organisational structure with fixtures issued on a seasonal basis. SJFA - No

• In combination with the Scottish Lowland League and the South of Scotland League an U20 development league for the development of a player pathway. SJFA - No
• Automatic entry for the U20 team into the Scottish Youth Cup. SJFA - No

LOWLAND LEAGUE (added to above)

• As it stands winner goes into a play off for promotion to SPFL. SJFA - No

• Winner gets automatic entry into the Betfred Cup Group Stage, £17,000 minimum prize money, guaranteed 2 home matches in group also. SJFA - No

• Top 4 qualify for Irn Bru Cup, minimum £3,000 Prize money. SJFA - No

• Up to £20,000 funding as a LL club available from Scottish Football Partnership towards ground improvements. SJFA - No

SJFA

• Scottish Junior Cup, £8,000 Prize money for winner . Tier 5/6 No

• West region setup although It’s not part of the pyramid. Tier 5/6 No

• East Region - Fife & Lothians Cup Prize money for winner circa £4,000 - £2000 runner up. Tier 5/6 No

• Local and regional rivalries built over decades. Tier 5/6 In some cases No but will have as it evolves

Read more:  http://johnstoneburghfc.proboards.com/thread/815/proposed-changes-scottish-football?page=2#ixzz5K7xDHZD0

Just seen an interview with Tayport boss Charlie King in which he admits that his side have missed out on several signings as they wanted to give the EOS a try.

He also says that Tayport had a few chats about moving but didn't seriously consider it.

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 22:58, patriot1 said:

Just seen an interview with Tayport boss Charlie King in which he admits that his side have missed out on several signings as they wanted to give the EOS a try.

He also says that Tayport had a few chats about moving but didn't seriously consider it.

The guys at Linlithgow and other former Superleague clubs have been saying the same thing for a few seasons, that they are/were losing out on signings to LL clubs.

7 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

The guys at Linlithgow and other former Superleague clubs have been saying the same thing for a few seasons, that they are/were losing out on signings to LL clubs.

And for a club like Tayport, they have always used the Fife and Tayside market so there'll likely be guys in the Dundee area happy to sign perhaps for St Andrews etc for that very challenge. So short-sighted of Tayport IMO as they will not be able to shift their ground over the boundary to stay with the Dundee sides long-term.

4 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

And for a club like Tayport, they have always used the Fife and Tayside market so there'll likely be guys in the Dundee area happy to sign perhaps for St Andrews etc for that very challenge. So short-sighted of Tayport IMO as they will not be able to shift their ground over the boundary to stay with the Dundee sides long-term.

Both St.Andrews and Jeanfield offering something different to players in the Perth/Dundee/North Fife area.  I'm sure Tayport will follow at the end of next season.

23 hours ago, th1stleandr0se said:

Is the North/South border hard and fast?  We hear of Clydebank applying to the East and clubs from England playing in Scotland.  What's so special about the line around the Tay?

Seems the Tay is a mega line in the sand for the pyramid ultras.

36 minutes ago, th1stleandr0se said:

Is the North/South border hard and fast?  We hear of Clydebank applying to the East and clubs from England playing in Scotland.  What's so special about the line around the Tay?

You need a demarcation line between Highland and Lowland League areas otherwise it gets a bit messy, SPFL clubs need to know where they are going should they get relegated.

I'd expect there to be a similar line once a WoSFL gets off the ground between them and EoSFL.

57 minutes ago, th1stleandr0se said:

Highland & Lowland leagues have a set boundary. The EoS & I suppose the SoS as Lowland League feeders enforce that boundary. 

There's no demarcation between the EoS & SoS however.

1 hour ago, th1stleandr0se said:

There be dragons north of the Tay.