Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

He seems to be trying to push the line that he's been negotiating with the SFA for years about the SJFA coming into the pyramid - when we know the whole idea was brushed under the carpet over five years ago by the SJFA. It's only with the East Region disintegrating that he's suddenly realised that his job is in trouble.

I think the future is for all the team to start playing cricket...it's where the future lies! Seriously, I lament this current situation but can understand why the East teams left...I think? ...To open up competion,  secure their future and possibly hit the bit time in the Lowland league? Or...is it because East teams can no longer cope with the domineering  game of West junior teams? 

The East has always had the competitor, and it has now got stronger. The West has never had one - until now. The LL *IS* removing players from the junior game in the West. There are less players coming down from the senior ranks for starters and there is more competition for players.

On 6/14/2018 at 09:55, Ian38018 said:

When did we start all this pish?  I am old enough to remember the East Region Leagues being "A" and "B", and no-one thought any the less of them for it.

Top tier then became "Super", second tiers became "Premier".  Who exactly did we think we were fooling with this semantic mucking about?  Sponsors?  Supporters?  The Media?  Or just ourselves?

Aye, every top flight league in every country is "Super"or "Premier" nowadays. It's ridiculous.

Well done juniors voting for the pyramid.

An exciting future is in the works for non league football.

97% Pro Pyramid

3% To remain in the current format.

Once again, well done juniors taking this progressive step that'll define your future for years. 

3 minutes ago, Im_Rodger said:

A super strong mandate from the SJFA.

Ball is in the SFA's court now.

Let's hope they do not f**k around. 

Ball's still with the SJFA until they have an actual proposal rather than an idea. This is basically just a confirmation of what happened earlier in the year with the results of the questionnaire.

It's difficult to see where the SJFA as an organisation will actually fit into the pyramid, especially with the East of Scotland being strengthened most recently.

9 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Ball's still with the SJFA until they have an actual proposal rather than an idea. This is basically just a confirmation of what happened earlier in the year with the results of the questionnaire.

It's difficult to see where the SJFA as an organisation will actually fit into the pyramid, especially with the East of Scotland being strengthened most recently.

They *could* go in at tier 6 in W and N and tier x in East...

7 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

The remaining East teams south of the Tay could join tier 7 in the EOS. The north of Tay teams can merge with the north juniors, the top division can go straight into tier 6. Some space will be needed for the NCL, but that could become a regional division at tier 7 I suppose. In the west it doesn't seem too difficult either, they can just enter at tier 6, probably give the chance to better SOS teams to join at tier 6 and have the remainder of the SOS as a feeder at tier 7. If amateur teams (Glasgow University?) apply, they can be put in an appropriate tier.

It shouldn't be too difficult outside the east really, if the SJFA do it right.

Edited by Marten

Just now, cmontheloknow said:

I'd call that the Regional FA's. Even then at Tier 6 you might have to provide an opportunity for other applications and mess about things due to the Tay boundary. This is basically a how to remove a  band aid problem.

The SJFA want to go slow and peel it. It's one of the reasons that the East/West Superleague has popped up as an idea. The new SJFA Superleague sits at Tier 6 alongside the EoS and SoS.  Everyone can get licenced and lets Tayside clubs remain in the Lowland League area. This'll eventually lead to the argument that the Lowland League should split into Lowland West & East at Tier 5. All of which will take a few years by which time the SJFA will have evolved in the set up to survive any changes.

The fast approach is to rip off the band aid. Tier 6 WoS and NoS leagues are set up getting the best candidates likely on licencing criteria. This will see a slight hodge podge of clubs with the majority but not all being Junior clubs. These leagues won't fall under the jurisdiction of the SJFA but will be self governing like the EoS/SoS/HL/LL. Which doesn't really leave a place for the SJFA going forward.

2 minutes ago, Marten said:

The remaining East teams south of the Tay could join tier 7 in the EOS. The north of Tay teams can merge with the north juniors, the top division can go straight into tier 6. Some space will be needed for the NCL, but that could become a regional division at tier 7 I suppose. In the west it doesn't seem too difficult either, they can just enter at tier 6, probably give the chance to better SOS teams to join at tier 6 and have the remainder of the SOS as a feeder at tier 7. If amateur teams (Glasgow University?) apply, they can be put in an appropriate tier.

It shouldn't be too difficult outside the east really, if the SJFA do it right.

There will be tier 7 EoS teams in 2019-20.  Can we really have two bodies running divisions at the same level of pyramid in the same region?

8 minutes ago, Marten said:

...It shouldn't be too difficult outside the east really, if the SJFA do it right.

It's easy to do if the three regions all do their own thing. The problem is that means no more job for Tom Johnston and he's the one doing the negotiating in a PWG context.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

Just now, Khufu2 said:

There will be tier 7 EoS teams in 2019-20.  Can we really have two bodies running divisions at the same level of pyramid in the same region?

I think the remaining East juniors south of the Tay & tier 7 in the EOS should join together in parallel leagues, possibly starting with 3 regional divisions moving to a region-wide tier 7 & 2 regional divisions at tier 8.

1 minute ago, LongTimeLurker said:

It's easy to do if the three regions all do their own thing. The probles is that means no more job for Tom Johnston and he's the one doing the negotiating in a PWG context.

That's why I said "if the SJFA do it right". I didn't say whether or not I expect them to do it right. ;)

2 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

It's easy to do if the three regions all do their own thing. The probles is that means no more job for Tom Johnston and he's the one doing the negotiating in a PWG context.

I think that's pretty spot on.  The WRSJFA and NRSJFA can pick up the tier 6 leagues, renamed as West of Scotland and North of Scotland Leagues whilst the EoS runs the East. I see no role for a central SJFA.