Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

It's just little Brian aka RRG who ran away from here in the huff, Mr Burns is as we know running for West secretary.  
I'm fairly sure that there is last day drama in all levels of football from senior to amateur and if memory serves it isn't reserved just for the west region juniors.

Do we really think he’s the man to sort out the fixtures fiasco? Reading some of his positions on twitter over the past few days I think he wouldn’t be the best choice.

It's strange that on a Junior forum, on a thread regarding the future of the Junior game, the notion of talking up the grade after an eventful couple of weeks attracts the level of sneering it does unless you qualify it with some self evident pish about other grades having the same thing. 

I doubt anyone if more in favour of a move towards a pyramid as myself but you have to wonder at why being a wee bit sorry about the decline of the grade is such a touchy point for folk. 

11 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

Look, it's just an opinion at the end of the day but 2nd and 3rd chances have already been granted and passed over. More fool them. If they limp in next year, it was through their own action / inaction in a process of reassessment that began a year ago when Kelty departed.

Maybe the EoS has more of a heart than me and will roll out the extended welcome mat! :lol:

Thankfully I don't think the EoS will take a self-defeating, juvenile "hell mend ye" attitude.

15 minutes ago, Tynieness said:

I have never been on RRG's  twitter site so thought I would have a look and I have been blocked :lol:

Not on twitter but I'm blocked too as it's a private account. I suppose that means you have to like him or something? Symptomatic of the silence from the Juniors apart from whispered dark threats by the sounds of it.

6 minutes ago, Shanner said:

It's strange that on a Junior forum, on a thread regarding the future of the Junior game, the notion of talking up the grade after an eventful couple of weeks attracts the level of sneering it does unless you qualify it with some self evident pish about other grades having the same thing. 

It's not really strange given that your beloved 'grade' is sloughing off clubs on a weekly basis while its circles the drain of Scottish football.  That's the reality of your situation and no amount of puffing yourselves up over a couple of games is going to change it. 

1 minute ago, virginton said:

It's not really strange given that your beloved 'grade' is sloughing off clubs on a weekly basis while its circles the drain of Scottish football.  That's the reality of your situation and no amount of puffing yourselves up over a couple of games is going to change it. 

^^^^

A notable example of the kind of pie I was describing earlier. 

5 minutes ago, Tynieness said:

I haven't seen any of his tweets, but having met Robert and appeared on his show I know of his passion for Junior football.

Of course it is a touchy subject, it's a massive change in how non league football runs in this country.  I feel however it could all have been avoided if TJ had been more inclined to engage with members about pyramid etc years before.  Let's talk about that elsewhere.

As such it has come to the clubs in the East making the bold move.  I can understand why emotions are running high but once it all settles down hopefully all the good will between clubs built up over a century will redevelop.   I can foresee all the clubs being in the pyramid in a few years time anyway so with any luck it can be done without anymore vitriol.

In respect of RRG his attitude of stamping his feet and going in the huff while ranting all over twitter doesn't do anyone favours.  This split has reminded me of a political campaign, good guys on both sides, and a sprinkling of arseholes on both sides.

In time let's just hope football is the winner and all the rifts heal.

RRG is a notable example of the other end of the spectrum on this debate. A walking, Tweeting disaster of a man. Best ignored as the moon howler he clearly is. 

8 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Out of those three tweets by ScottishJuniorfitba, one is definitly a lie, one is more than likely a lie and the other one happens at every level of football.

If you're looking for someone to argue with you in defence of RRG you have gravely misjudged me! 

I doubt anyone if more in favour of a move towards a pyramid as myself but you have to wonder at why being a wee bit sorry about the decline of the grade is such a touchy point for folk. 
I don't think anyone disputes that the core product within the Juniors is there, unfortunately those who run the grade have sat on their laurels whilst the world moved around them and when clubs have decided they want to move with the times they have been decried from on high.

IMO there needs to be a mass cull of those in charge of the Junior game, thankfully it appears steps are being taken for this to happen, but it all might just come a little too late.

It'll be interesting watching what happens in the West next year, if pyramid entry isn't delivered at Tier 6 as promised. There are progressive clubs who will want to reap the benefits that those in the East will begin to see, the thing is those clubs might not be the top West Superleague clubs, just ones with ambition, and if a few of them are willing to take the risk the whole house of cards is likely to tumble. Had there been somewhere for them to go for the 18/19 season it would probably have already started.

7 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

Having to play four times a week at the end of the season, due to an inability to play matches in the evening earlier in the season isn't something to boast about. Have you read any of the West fixtures threads?

I love the fixture pile-up at the end of the season. I don't like taking too much time away from family stuff at the weekends, but evenings are much easier, and I enjoy little more than visiting a new ground somewhere and watching a game in the gloaming.

It's a ridiculous mess caused by shambolic disorganisation that is unfair on players and damages sporting integrity, of course, it just works out well for me.

Edited by GordonS

Can't imagine too many treasurers are happy with the amount of midweek games though and speaking as a former committee person, they're a nightmare to administer too. Fans can turn up 5 mins before kick off, not so the volunteer helpers.

2 minutes ago, Super Saddler said:

I feel bad about Fauldhouse. After winning promotion to something that's no longer there.I pray that they get a late application in.

I'd be very surprised about that considering how I've heard Fauldhouse people absolutely slate the pyramid today and Wednesday...

1 hour ago, Shanner said:

I'm not saying there are no pro-pyramid people who are disrespectful to juniors, but it happens on both sides. There was some great excitement in the juniors today, last week and other recent weeks, I'm the first to admit that. But I do get annoyed when some of the junior fans say that this kind of excitement is something exclusive to junior football, as it happens at all levels. That's why I replied previously to you in the way I did. You said you'd miss this excitement, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that it would ever disappear from the game so no reason to say you'll miss something (excitement) that's here to stay in non-league football.

Edited by Marten

5 minutes ago, Marten said:

I'm not saying there are no pro-pyramid people who are disrespectful to juniors, but it happens on both sides. There was some great excitement in the juniors today, last week and other recent weeks, I'm the first to admit that. But I do get annoyed when some of the junior fans say that this kind of excitement is something exclusive to junior football, as it happens at all levels. That's why I replied previously to you in the way I did. You said you'd miss this excitement, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that it would ever disappear from the game so no reason to say you'll miss something (excitement) that's here to stay in non-league football.

to be fair you're not wrong.

I think it's natural to lament the decline of this particular form of the game though as there are defiantly certain characteristics that won't survive the eventual transition even if other better aspects replace them. It's a hard thing to quantify, more of an emotional thing than anything else really. 

Just now, Shanner said:

to be fair you're not wrong.

I think it's natural to lament the decline of this particular form of the game though as there are defiantly certain characteristics that won't survive the eventual transition even if other better aspects replace them. It's a hard thing to quantify, more of an emotional thing than anything else really. 

Fair enough, and sorry if you got my original comment in the wrong way.

24 minutes ago, Marten said:

I'd be very surprised about that considering how I've heard Fauldhouse people absolutely slate the pyramid today and Wednesday...

Yeh because they think they  have to pay holiday pay paternity pay and all this nonsense.  They are right and every one else is wrong. No chance