Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

14 minutes ago, Khufu2 said:

Looking forward to seeing all the new EoS recruits playing on January and February evenings.  Bring your own torches.

Out of interest how many clubs have had to play four times in seven days?  As ever, you don't have a clue.

Remind me again how it's taken nearly ten months to play 22 league fixtures in the West?

Edited by Cyclizine

As a potential 2018-19 WoSFL rumour killer. Kilwinning Rangers had their AGM last night and the main discussion seems to have been around upgrades to Abbey Park or relocation.

They've typically been the go to West Region club for a positive spin on the pyramid these last few months, you'd imagine they'd have an inside track on a league to be formed in a matter of weeks. Reckon it would of been addressed if it was happening.

3 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

Remind me again how it's taken nearly eleven months to play 22 league fixtures in the West?

The league season started a bit over 9 months ago.

I reckon Auchinleck, for example, have played 20 additional competitive matches so far this season.  A month wasted waiting for a Fife ground, soon to be EoS ground, to be fit for play certainly didn't help, I'll grant you that.  

Shut up man. We want to keep Dean Brett at Bonnyrigg, not lose him. 
He would not even get a game at Armadale

True Armadale have a good squad of young players who have just won promotion and we’re unbeaten at home in the league.[emoji1]

13 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

Remind me again how it's taken nearly ten months to play 22 league fixtures in the West?

Shit weather and not being allowed to play League games while you're waiting to play oft postponed Scottish Cup ties.

The 1st thing is out of anyone's control, the 2nd is being addressed as we speak.

English non league clubs play over 40 league fixtures, 2 national cup competitions and 2 or 3 local cups.  How?  Floodlights compulsory,  full fixture lists and efficient administrators.  Motivation comes through a proper pyramid system allowing clubs with ambition to progress, while all can still compete in a trophy leading to a final at Wembley.

9 minutes ago, Dreghorn said:

English non league clubs play over 40 league fixtures, 2 national cup competitions and 2 or 3 local cups.  How?  Floodlights compulsory,  full fixture lists and efficient administrators.  Motivation comes through a proper pyramid system allowing clubs with ambition to progress, while all can still compete in a trophy leading to a final at Wembley.

It depends which English non league clubs you mean.

England has 10 times the population of Scotland. You need to equate, for example,  the 42nd team in Scotland with the 420th in England. If we add on the HL and LL teams that takes us to 76 teams playing in competitions where lights are compulsory. The 760th team in England is playing in non-league step 6 which is also the lowest level where lights are more or less compulsory. Once you get down to step 7 in England 30 leagues games per season are the norm and lack of floodlights is the norm. 

AS an aside,  English FA is awash with money - a far greater amount filters down to the lower levels for ground improvements.

Edited by Khufu2

installing floodlights [approx £30.000] wont solve all fixture problems .   what about facilities for supporters?  safe terrace  well lit access and toilets etc. public liability insurance will rocket ,all adding to already long list of costs clubs face.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

As a potential 2018-19 WoSFL rumour killer. Kilwinning Rangers had their AGM last night and the main discussion seems to have been around upgrades to Abbey Park or relocation.

They've typically been the go to West Region club for a positive spin on the pyramid these last few months, you'd imagine they'd have an inside track on a league to be formed in a matter of weeks. Reckon it would of been addressed if it was happening.

Exactly what I thought too. I reckon Kilwinning will lead the 2019/20 WoS chat with the likes of Clydebank etc, now seems far too late for the coming season.

4 minutes ago, Born To Run said:

Exactly what I thought too. I reckon Kilwinning will lead the 2019/20 WoS chat with the likes of Clydebank etc, now seems far too late for the coming season.

Both clubs obviously have an eye on licencing and focusing on ground improvements so that they'll be ready to go once a WoSFL is properly arranged.

46 minutes ago, marconi said:

what about facilities for supporters?  safe terrace  well lit access and toilets etc. public liability insurance will rocket ,all adding to already long list of costs clubs face.

Do clubs not already have safe terraces? Toilets? Public Liability Insurance?

12 hours ago, GordonS said:

I would dearly, dearly love to see the Junior Cup saved by opening it up to everyone below tier 4, but I honestly don't believe the SJFA would consider it. EK v Spartans in the final of their cup? They'd never let it happen. And so, they'll kill it instead.

Not in the circumstances that have unfolded, no.

One of the major arguments being used among the Juniors to get them stay was that not all of those applying will be accepted. Only when the EoSFL AGM takes place will that myth be laid to rest. Some are also pinning their hopes on Linlithgow Rose staying. When both of those candles go out, so does the last reason to believe the SJFA bollocks, and a few more clubs might decide the game is up and want to come over.

So I think a short, final period for applications after the AGM, with a special meeting at the end to decide on the applications and the format, could be really valuable. It's better to try to get everything done this summer rather than have other Juniors limping in next year.

Are you saying this from direct knowledge or, as I suspect, are you expressing your opinion as a fact?

My opinion only. However if you look at one of the earlier Kelty posts, even their late application last year was submitted in time for the EoSL AGM. Also, isn't there an SJFA rule (or convention) that you must resign before its AGM, which I think is on 16th June. 

28 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Both clubs obviously have an eye on licencing and focusing on ground improvements so that they'll be ready to go once a WoSFL is properly arranged.

Surely its 2019/20....... if a West pyramid feeder league can be agreed ?

Whilst on the subject of Clydebank, will they (and Yoker) be able to play at Holm Park whilst the redevelopment work is taking place ? If not, where  will EACH of them  be playing next season ?

2 hours ago, Khufu2 said:

Looking forward to seeing all the new EoS recruits playing on January and February evenings.  Bring your own torches.

Out of interest how many clubs have had to play four times in seven days?  As ever, you don't have a clue.

There was only one EoS league game played mid week in January and February. 

1 hour ago, Khufu2 said:

It depends which English non league clubs you mean.

England has 10 times the population of Scotland. You need to equate, for example,  the 42nd team in Scotland with the 420th in England. If we add on the HL and LL teams that takes us to 76 teams playing in competitions where lights are compulsory. The 760th team in England is playing in non-league step 6 which is also the lowest level where lights are more or less compulsory. Once you get down to step 7 in England 30 leagues games per season are the norm and lack of floodlights is the norm. 

AS an aside,  English FA is awash with money - a far greater amount filters down to the lower levels for ground improvements.

We awe know it's you Mr Norwich ffs how many times do you need banned 

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

West league 2029/2020 separate from sjfa will happen.

That's my feeling and why Kilwinning and Clydebank are focusing on ground improvements so that they can be licenced as soon as possible within that structure. Chances are whenever it gets announced those clubs will be the Dalkieth and Blackburn of the West with applications straight in.

The SJFA aren't going to integrate in to the pyramid, that ship has well and truly sailed. It'll probably resemble a regional set up similar to the pre-Superleague era, just with a lot less clubs in it.

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Do clubs not already have safe terraces? Toilets? Public Liability Insurance?

Have the regulations changed much since Tinto had people under its enclosure, risking life and limb?

Safe standing means addition of crush barriers to large covered enclosures as far as I know, clear delineation of fire exits, clearly defined capacity and lighting within the enclosure. Few at junior level have these. While some of these are defined in club licensing manual - I may have made some of them up!

The new stand at Galabank shows what newbuilds need to be like (afaik):

annan-athletic-fc-galabank-club-house-en

Have the regulations changed much since Tinto had people under its enclosure, risking life and limb?

Safe standing means addition of crush barriers to large covered enclosures as far as I know, clear delineation of fire exits, clearly defined capacity and lighting within the enclosure. Few at junior level have these. While some of these are defined in club licensing manual - I may have made some of them up!

The new stand at Galabank shows what newbuilds need to be like (afaik):

annan-athletic-fc-galabank-club-house-end-1436285112.jpg

needs to be crush barriers over a certain size but it doesnt need to be as big as that. Enclosures like Beith/Cumnock etc perfectly acceptable.