Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

13 hours ago, Marten said:

Also let's not forget the North Caledonian League clubs. I'd support regionalisation of early rounds though to prevent trips being too long, with the exception of sending Auchinleck Talbot to Orkney obviously.

Is that permanently, or just a one-off game? ;)

34 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Cheers buddy :thumsup2

Am I no allowed a few sherbets on a Friday night :whistle

Said  Brett was decent, I meant the clubs were struggling no the players.  Sorry @Cowdenbeath :lol:

All about opinions though.

No problem just thought I would point out he played at a decent level mostly during his time with us. As already pointed out by someone else he would have been still at SPFL player if it hadn't been for the off field stuff and he had joined Montrose last summer but the travel was a problem for him. He may make a comeback at that level I suppose.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

I agree with this. Similarly, when it looked as if the HFL wouldn't have its champions in place for the play offs my reaction was "throw them out". (That scenario didn't come to pass, thankfully.) There has to be a final cut off point, otherwise these "deadlines" will mean as much as the ones in the Stormont talks.

Careful, Glenconner's about. Think the "deadlines" have really just been a way to focus people's minds and get clubs to have meetings and reach a decision and haven't really been meaningful in any way in terms of the practicalities of when the decision really needed to be made before it started to have an impact in logistical terms. The ultimate end game for the benefit of participants and spectators should be all clubs in the east with enclosed grounds that are south of the Tay in one all-embracing well run league system and if another "deadline" would help push things further along towards that goal then it's worth doing.

10 hours ago, Talbot 78 said:

The east are weaker than the west by a heavy margin.

Top teams have always been comparable. The difference is that the west has more strength in depth, so teams like Wishaw and Dalry can reach the semis of the junior cup in a way you don't see so often with smaller clubs from the east.

47 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

No problem just thought I would point out he played at a decent level mostly during his time with us. As already pointed out by someone else he would have been still at SPFL player if it hadn't been for the off field stuff and he had joined Montrose last summer but the travel was a problem for him. He may make a comeback at that level I suppose.

Not next season he won’t

1 hour ago, Khufu2 said:

...as the fight for the west championship goes to the final match of the season.

Just like the Lowland League and East of Scotland League... albeit those leagues were finished a month ago rather than the  annual fixture farce that is the juniors due to them not wanting to use floodlights to allow catching up during the dark nights. 

25 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Top teams have always been comparable. The difference is that the west has more strength in depth, so teams like Wishaw and Dalry can reach the semis of the junior cup in a way you don't see so often with smaller clubs from the east.

Luck of the draw plays a big part in the smaller teams getting a cup run too though. In Wishaw's case, Arniston, Downfield, Forth and Yoker before the Quarters. Beating KRR their major result. Hurlford getting to the final also illustrative of this - they've only won just over a quarter of their league games this season. For me, it's why league football trumps the cup (in general). Take nothing away through from the teams highly consistent and strong in both (e.g. Talbot).

24 minutes ago, pipedreamer said:

Just like the Lowland League and East of Scotland League... albeit those leagues were finished a month ago rather than the  annual fixture farce that is the juniors due to them not wanting to use floodlights to allow catching up during the dark nights. 

Trying to find any relevance to the actual discussion.  Ah!  There isn't any.

Playing and watching football on a January/February night or a May/June afternoon or evening?  Tough one that. Enjoy your January/February nights. LOL!

Edited by Khufu2

11 hours ago, Red Rose said:

The boy has been superb in the second half of th season. Wouldn’t look out of place in the championship or premiership.  Double figures goals and work rate. 

Shut up man. We want to keep Dean Brett at Bonnyrigg, not lose him. 

He would not even get a game at Armadale

26 minutes ago, Khufu2 said:

Trying to find any relevance to the actual discussion.  Ah!  There isn't any.

Playing and watching football on a January/February night or a May/June afternoon or evening?  Tough one that. Enjoy your January/February nights. LOL!

Having to play four times a week at the end of the season, due to an inability to play matches in the evening earlier in the season isn't something to boast about. Have you read any of the West fixtures threads?

1 minute ago, Cyclizine said:

Primary school response, mate. You need to try harder.

LOL!!!!  You really should stop digging.  I don't think even trying harder will do you any good - you just haven't got it, son.

Just now, Cyclizine said:

Having to play four times a week at the end of the season, due to an inability to play matches in the evening earlier in the season isn't something to boast about. Have you read any of the West fixtures threads?

Looking forward to seeing all the new EoS recruits playing on January and February evenings.  Bring your own torches.

Out of interest how many clubs have had to play four times in seven days?  As ever, you don't have a clue.