Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Second thoughts? 

To be fair his club have been promised they’ll get Tier 6 entry as a Junior club, SuperDooper League in 2019, licensing will be suspended for defectors and then advised not to go EoS as applications were going to be refused by EoS and/or SFA and anyone who applied would then be banned from re-entering the juniors and/or sued by SJFA for not giving sufficient notice. 

Now it turns out none of that was true and the expected reward for promotion of games against Lithgae and Bo’ness is replaced by 6 trips over the Tay Bridge I think you’re entitled to be pissed off with the story you’ve been told. 

2 minutes ago, ShrimpLok said:

To be fair his club have been promised they’ll get Tier 6 entry as a Junior club, SuperDooper League in 2019, licensing will be suspended for defectors and then advised not to go EoS as applications were going to be refused by EoS and/or SFA and anyone who applied would then be banned from re-entering the juniors and/or sued by SJFA for not giving sufficient notice. 

Now it turns out none of that was true and the expected reward for promotion of games against Lithgae and Bo’ness is replaced by 6 trips over the Tay Bridge I think you’re entitled to be pissed off with the story you’ve been told. 

6 minutes ago, ShrimpLok said:

I know, it was meant to be a gentle tease. It's a shitty situation for him to be in and not of his making. Winning promotion and finding it being taken away days later. Hopefully they'll take an undogmatic approach to late applications. Or the West Juniors allow them in at a decent level if not.

Edited by welshbairn

5 minutes ago, sponsorsladdie said:

I’m sure that 14 in a league would be better than 13. Or some that have applied may pull their application.

12 would be better than 13 because that way everyone is playing each week... with Fauldhouse added it could go to 14-14-12

Edited by Che Dail

8 minutes ago, ShrimpLok said:

I take it by refering to the lack of truth your refering to boness  broxburn lithgy penicuik etc etc etc .who told there junior colleagues they were staying put .fine upstanding honourable clubs ...#porkytellers

1 minute ago, daleboy1969 said:

I take it by refering to the lack of truth your refering to boness  broxburn lithgy penicuik etc etc etc .who told there junior colleagues they were staying put .fine upstanding honourable clubs ...#porkytellers

I’ve got sympathy for those who left and those who are left behind. There’s been so many stories floating around it’s been very hard for people to decide what is best. 

I wish that TJ had engaged with the pyramid and that there had been an agreed merger so no one was left with uncertainty. But that’s not what happened and in the end each club has to make a decision they feel is best for their future. It’s sad but an inevitable consequence of the way the junior leadership has failed to engage with the pyramid and in the end resorted to outright lies and threats to try and stop clubs from leaving.

42 minutes ago, jc1 said:

Anyone know if late applications can be took?

Contact details for the EoS committee members http://www.eosfl.com/content.php?pg=committee&pd=1020

The more generic contact us section of their website http://www.eosfl.com/content.php?pg=contact&pd=1021

If there's genuine interest on your club's part i'm sure they will listen. Better getting it from the horse's mouth than hoping to hear something from a forum.

EDIT: And by listen I just meant listen and have a conversation about it. I don't mean to convey that they would accept or decline, i haven't a clue what they would do beyond the chat over it.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

Posted this pompous overwritten pish in another thread but it fits in here too....

I agree  that 2017/18  is likely to be remembered as the last "true" Scottish cup by most onlookers, which is a hard thing to admit about your favorite football tournament in the World. 

I'm massively in favour of an integrated solution to the current situation that takes everyone along, leaves no teams behind,  and works hard to retain the best aspects of the Juniors,  putting some much needed character, tradition and diversity into a fairly modern and sterile Pyramid non-league, certainly in the Lowland area anyway. 

That notion looks dead in the water now and the prospect of watching the impending decline of what is (and always has been) easily the best non-League competition in Scotland is unbelievably sad, more so because it could have been avoided with more cooperation and dialogue at the early stages. If that wasn't enough we all know it's inevitable that the Junior game will shrink westwards like the wee map at the beginning of Dad's Army until reaching a tipping point whereby it will be engulfed anyway, having spunked the considerable political leverage it once enjoyed.  

Meanwhile you see folk on here putting the boot into the Cup while  still claiming to be fans of Junior football which I find utterly mental given the incredible romance and history of the thing, it's an absolute treasure and you don't need to have won it 12 times to regard it as such.

Look at the list of early winners from the past that would be all but forgotten but for their place on that list and consider what they represent in terms of Scotland's social, political and cultural past and you might come to the same realisation as me that it's more or less blasphemous to risk losing it. Teams with symbols of industry on their badges and names that transports you straight to a time and place.  This is why despite being quite progressive about restructuring I've got no time for some of the pyramid roasters on here who would fling the baby out with bathwater in the name of some OCD quest to have everything under a single umbrella at all costs. 

Anyway, the timing of all this has made the Talbot win on Sunday stand out as particularly special among their 12 wins.  They're clearly the team immediately synonymous with the competition to most folk and only the biggest curmudgeon would ague that they don't deserve to be the last winner of the competition in it's final pomp as a National trophy. There  was something brilliantly poetic about seeing all the threads of the story came together at the death as Tucker Sloan finally surpassed Knox with those 2 goals in the last 2 minutes of what feels like the last cup.  A bittersweet day. 

Edited by Shanner

1 hour ago, cmontheloknow said:

To be fair, the localish amateur side is South Lochaber Thistle (playing out of Ballachulish and Kinlochleven) and they play in a Glasgow league. I understand they formed when the local Lochaber amateur league collapsed.

Technically it was the Lochaber Welfare League, yet another historical grade of Scottish football...

4 hours ago, Che Dail said:

Malcolm Gladwell, author of "the tipping point" and other magnificent books and podcasts says:

"I feel I change my mind all the time. And I sort of feel that's your responsibility as a person, as a human being - to constantly be updating your positions on as many things as possible. And if you don't contradict yourself on a regular basis, then you're not thinking".

...A wee thought for the day...

Someone’s quoting the Tipping Point and proving at least one P&B reads books.

post of this thread. Once the soccernomics quotes fire in football will be fine

22 minutes ago, Shanner said:

Posted this pompous overwritten pish in another thread but it fits in here too....

I agree  that 2017/18  is likely to be remembered as the last "true" Scottish cup by most onlookers, which is a hard thing to admit about your favorite football tournament in the World. 

I'm massively in favour of an integrated solution to the current situation that takes everyone along, leaves no teams behind,  and works hard to retain the best aspects of the Juniors,  putting some much needed character, tradition and diversity into a fairly modern and sterile Pyramid non-league, certainly in the Lowland area anyway. 

That notion looks dead in the water now and the prospect of watching the impending decline of what is (and always has been) easily the best non-League competition in Scotland is unbelievably sad, more so because it could have been avoided with more cooperation and dialogue at the early stages. If that wasn't enough we all know it's inevitable that the Junior game will shrink westwards like the wee map at the beginning of Dad's Army until reaching a tipping point whereby it will be engulfed anyway, having spunked the considerable political leverage it once enjoyed.  

Meanwhile you see folk on here putting the boot into the Cup while  still claiming to be fans of Junior football which I find utterly mental given the incredible romance and history of the thing, it's an absolute treasure and you don't need to have won it 12 times to regard it as such.

Look at the list of early winners from the past that would be all but forgotten but for their place on that list and consider what they represent in terms of Scotland's social, political and cultural past and you might come to the same realisation as me that it's more or less blasphemous to risk losing it. Teams with symbols of industry on their badges and names that transports you straight to a time and place.  This is why despite being quite progressive about restructuring I've got no time for some of the pyramid roasters on here who would fling the baby out with bathwater in the name of some OCD quest to have everything under a single umbrella at all costs. 

Anyway, the timing of all this has made the Talbot win on Sunday stand out as particularly special among their 12 wins.  They're clearly the team immediately synonymous with the competition to most folk and only the biggest curmudgeon would ague that they don't deserve to be the last winner of the competition in it's final pomp as a National trophy. There  was something brilliantly poetic about seeing all the threads of the story came together at the death as Tucker Sloan finally surpassed Knox with those 2 goals in the last 2 minutes of what feels like the last cup.  A bittersweet day. 

Why would any of the history of the Junior Cup or the clubs involved disappear if the Juniors "grade" goes?  Historians didn't suddenly stop talking about the Soviet Union when it collapsed in the early 90s.  History will always be history - the most important thing is getting the future right.

23 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Yaay latest tweet from Armadale 

"News from hq .looks like we will be playing in junior conferences next season .this will allow clubs to be more proactive in football .super conference .south junior conference and north junior conference . The future looks superb now ..cmon the junior conference east empire" :lol::lol:

We've lost 24 teams to EOS league, lets fix this by changing league names.

https://twitter.com/armadalethistle/status/1002594732411904000