Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

27 minutes ago, bravehearts dad said:

Is that the same Dumbarton that couldn’t score a goal against a Junior football club in 180 minutes of football?

C’mon the Rose

For every bonnyrigg, auchinleck and lithgy triumph against the big boys .therss a kelty capitulation . Allas these days are now gone in the east . But im sure the west boys will keep the junior enď up .until next season at least .

30 minutes ago, Robert James said:

..........and Burghead Thistle (another decent ground).

Yes I agree with your post.  But are the current North Juniors really interested ? Not even licensed/floodlit Banks O'Dee (big city club so Kenny131 doesn't need to worry) having shown any desire for HFL football.

Banks o' Dee are interested in a 'Northern ' league I think but that is no longer the SHFL after the way they were zinged a couple of years back. If the SFA or SPFL create their rumoured Northern League, because the SHFL is not just dinosaury but dinosaury-stuck-in-a-tarpit, BoD would be at the front of the queue.

There are others in the North Juniors with potential (Sunnybank, Culter, Dyce, Ellon, Stonehaven, Inverness City (hopefully)) but they're currently mired in a league that is "amateur" in all but name and pretty much rumble along with the mythical two men and a dog watching and certainly display little interest in expanding their horizons.

However, I believe if the pyramid was in place we might see the people with a bit of drive coming to the forefront and pushing these clubs on. They are there, the folk with ambition and vision but they are stymied at the moment.

Junior Football is finished ... it died around 1970 and someone forgot to rubber-stamp it. `Pyramid` is the future ... almost everyone recognises that, so the best thing West clubs can do is to immediately form the missing West senior league ... possibly invite those West Lothian clubs not yet in EoS ... end of a glorious era, but the beginning of a more hopeful one than now .

21 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

Banks o' Dee are interested in a 'Northern ' league I think but that is no longer the SHFL after the way they were zinged a couple of years back. If the SFA or SPFL create their rumoured Northern League, because the SHFL is not just dinosaury but dinosaury-stuck-in-a-tarpit, BoD would be at the front of the queue.

There are others in the North Juniors with potential (Sunnybank, Culter, Dyce, Ellon, Stonehaven, Inverness City (hopefully)) but they're currently mired in a league that is "amateur" in all but name and pretty much rumble along with the mythical two men and a dog watching and certainly display little interest in expanding their horizons.

However, I believe if the pyramid was in place we might see the people with a bit of drive coming to the forefront and pushing these clubs on. They are there, the folk with ambition and vision but they are stymied at the moment.

It was 9 years ago for BoD, not "a couple of years back".

Things have changed since then, and if they applied to join the pyramid now, the Highland League (tier 5) would have difficulty refusing their entry in my view.  It has been stated that the HFL is not a closed shop. Licensed BoD would surely tick all the boxes ?

A 'North of Scotland pyramid feeder League' - would there be sufficient clubs supporting it ? 

Will Inverness City return after going into abeyance ?  Has the club signed a lease to play at Kirkhill, as originally proposed  ?

Edited by Robert James

1 hour ago, bravehearts dad said:

Is that the same Dumbarton that couldn’t score a goal against a Junior football club in 180 minutes of football?

C’mon the Rose

Is this just a back patting exercise or does it have any relevance to the debate?

13 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Will Inverness City return after going into abeyance ?  Has the club signed a lease to play at Kirkhill, as originally proposed  ?

As far as I know all parties are happy for it to go ahead, it's just a matter of raising the cash. As they wouldn't be re-entering at Superleague level the criteria would probably be a bit cheaper to fulfill in the short term, although apart from drainage, plumbing and electrics, you would have thought they could just move the infrastructure over lock stock and barrel, unless some of it is rented. 

1 hour ago, Whitburn Vale said:

You still seething daleboy?

Nahh ..ive been waiting on blackburn putting this on twitter .im just amazed at the honesty behind the last few weeks . Anyway opinions  hange quickly in non league football 

Screenshot_20180601-075154.png

So why does so many clubs looking to improve their standing in the Scottish game cause such ire in Armadale?

edit - and in Ayrshire.

Seems bizarre to castigate clubs for taking advantage of the opportunities available to them in terms of progression.

Edited by Jason King

1 hour ago, daleboy1969 said:

For every bonnyrigg, auchinleck and lithgy triumph against the big boys .therss a kelty capitulation . Allas these days are now gone in the east . But im sure the west boys will keep the junior enď up .until next season at least .

What big boys have Auchinleck triumphed against?

24 minutes ago, daleboy1969 said:

Nahh ..ive been waiting on blackburn putting this on twitter .im just amazed at the honesty behind the last few weeks . Anyway opinions  hange quickly in non league football 

Screenshot_20180601-075154.png

He’s disappeared under his rock

55 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Things have changed since then, and if they applied to join the pyramid now, the Highland League (tier 5) would have difficulty refusing their entry in my view.  It has been stated that the HFL is not a closed shop. Licensed BoD would surely tick all the boxes ?

I'll defer to Jimmy Shaker who is the resident expert on all things SHFL, but AFAIK the SHFL is still invite only, unofficially or otherwise. BoD have stated unequivocally they're in favour of the pyramid so why aren't they in the SHFL or at least exercising their "right" to apply?

The reason the SFA/SPFL rumour of a Northern League emerged is because the SHFL is a closed shop and appears to working on a geological timescale to implement any pyramid changes. Having said that the SFA/SPFL do not, in all honesty, give a flying f**k about the arse end of the football hinterland and a Northern League is probably more bother than it's worth in their eyes.

23 minutes ago, Truthteller said:

He’s disappeared under his rock

Other than the dozens of posts in which he admitted he was wrong? Just like pretty much all others who made predictions back then were wrong btw...

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Adaptation to changing circumstances is the key to human evolution.

Malcolm Gladwell, author of "the tipping point" and other magnificent books and podcasts says:

"I feel I change my mind all the time. And I sort of feel that's your responsibility as a person, as a human being - to constantly be updating your positions on as many things as possible. And if you don't contradict yourself on a regular basis, then you're not thinking".

...A wee thought for the day...