Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

8 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Looks likely that Inverness City will fold as well.

They should return to the North Caledonian League (which would have been Fort William's future if they hadn't attracted a new Board), whilst they sort out their proposed new ground.

Now  very competitive, with 4 different NCL champions in 4 years, plus 5 separate cup competitions, with honours shared, and participation in some, by Shetland FC and Lewis & Harris (Stornoway) FC.

3 minutes ago, BoomShakalaka said:

Benji/ Bill,  what's the difference between Community Junior football and Community football in the EoS?  ( A couple of people have asked but no reply and you always appear to answer me so I thought I would ask you? 

Kind Regards

Let Bill answer you then....I was watching the Upwards and Onwards boys being beaten comprehensively by one of the clubs you and your cohorts believe have no ambition...out played ..out thought..and lacking a game plan.....game run by the Penicuik back 3....centre half wasn't good enough to play for Bonnyrigg 5 years ago when his time was up with the Rose A....but for Allan Horne it could have been a barrowload...THE community game at junior level.. just look at the history and how it has served the community......but that's being a dinosaur......E of S.....nothing in comparison.....tell me when you will see the streets lined and the Toll packed again waiting on the team coming from the PremierJunior Cup Final....not worth recalling is it really.....now forgotten heros in the new order of things...except by us dinasaurs ...of course its 40 years ago or have you forgotten...WILL any of the E of  S trophy,s re-create that memorable night..with all its money.?.....ONWARDS AND UPWARDS as you keep repeating......I...say again ..the best of luck in your new adventure....its not for me.....my choice...and luckily I still have the right to make my own mind up on the matter.

13 minutes ago, Robert James said:

They should return to the North Caledonian League (which would have been Fort William's future if they hadn't attracted a new Board), whilst they sort out their proposed new ground.

Now  very competitive, with 4 different NCL champions in 4 years, plus 5 separate cup competitions, with honours shared, and participation in some, by Shetland FC and Lewis & Harris (Stornoway) FC.

Agreed, if they find and can afford to develop a ground. Would save all these expensive trips to Aberdeenshire for most of their games.

Edited by welshbairn

2 minutes ago, BENJI BOY said:

Let Bill answer you then....I was watching the Upwards and Onwards boys being beaten comprehensively by one of the clubs you and your cohorts believe have no ambition...out played ..out thought..and lacking a game plan.....game run by the Penicuik back 3....centre half wasn't good enough to play for Bonnyrigg 5 years ago when his time was up with the Rose A....but for Allan Horne it could have been a barrowload...THE community game at junior level.. just look at the history and how it has served the community......but that's being a dinosaur......E of S.....nothing in comparison.....tell me when you will see the streets lined and the Toll packed again waiting on the team coming from the PremierJunior Cup Final....not worth recalling is it really.....now forgotten heros in the new order of things...except by us dinasaurs ...of course its 40 years ago or have you forgotten...WILL any of the E of  S trophy,s re-create that memorable night..with all its money.?.....ONWARDS AND UPWARDS as you keep repeating......I...say again ..the best of luck in your new adventure....its not for me.....my choice...and luckily I still have the right to make my own mind up on the matter.

Hi Benji, you say EoS has nothing in comparison, what is the difference between the under noted clubs in their communities and Bonnyrigg in theirs? curious to understand

Burntisland Shipyard - formed 1925

Coldstream - formed 1895

Eyemouth United - formed 1948

Gala Fairydean - formed 1894

Hawick Royal Albert - former 1947

Peebles Rovers - formed 1893

Preston Athletic - formed 1945

Selkirk - formed 1880

Vale of Leithen - formed 1891

Whitehill Welfare - formed 1953

8 hours ago, Snafu said:

The Bught is meant to be an open space for the public despite the shinty pitch being enclosed and everyone knew that Lister Park was temporary. The club spent a lot of time looking at other options in and around Inverness back when they moved from North Kessock and shared the NMP and from then on, there really isn't playing surfaces or spaces in Inverness that would be suitable for level of football, consider the cost.  The space which was Lister Park will just revert back to being another open football pitch for the Amateurs to play in the summer.

It would be shame to lose a level in football in Inverness that bridges the gap between semi pro and the amateur summer football.

Inverness Athletic (NCL) have had similar problems in finding a suitable ground in Inverness, having played originally at Farr, to the south of the city. To overcome this problem, they are now  playing at Muir of Ord FC's former ground.

Edited by Robert James

1 minute ago, gogsy said:

So thats it the difference is what happens if you win the Scottish junior cup?

Ask AUCHINLECK OR LINLITHGOW OR BONESS OR GLENAFTON OR TAYPORT OR HILL O BEATH....their winning was felt by the entire community not just the team and that is recognised further afield.....and importantly.. remembered for a lifetime.....because they shared part of the towns social history.......but Social History is old hat isn't it in the new order of thing...remember Maggie of the Poll Tax..there is no such thing as society..its insdividuals that count....

8 hours ago, superbigal said:

To be fair or indeed unfair perhaps the pyramid will mean a lot of clubs do need to join the amateur grade.

Min wage should also see this happen.

Currently it clearly does not.

Every weekend you hear that Inverness City or Athletic are missing players because of their amateur League or Cup commitments. Don't understand the politics but players who don't get paid are surely amateur? If they prioritise their "amateur" team above their "whatever" team then there's something wrong.

2 minutes ago, BENJI BOY said:

Ask AUCHINLECK OR LINLITHGOW OR BONESS OR GLENAFTON OR TAYPORT OR HILL O BEATH....their winning was felt by the entire community not just the team and that is recognised further afield.....and importantly.. remembered for a lifetime.....because they shared part of the towns social history.......but Social History is old hat isn't it in the new order of thing...remember Maggie of the Poll Tax..there is no such thing as society..its insdividuals that count....

So it only counts if you win the Junior cup? if you don't you can't be part of your community? :blink:

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Every weekend you hear that Inverness City or Athletic are missing players because of their amateur League or Cup commitments. Don't understand the politics but players who don't get paid are surely amateur? If they prioritise their "amateur" team above their "whatever" team then there's something wrong.

No different in the junior ranks where Stag weekends, birthday parties or holidayscome before the team..andthey are paid to playunder contract...that is the new order of things in society today I am afraid.

I still come back to the fact that there is something more special about a nationwide cup, beating all comers, especially one with a history, than a purely regional cup competition. 

If there is one bit of the Juniors worth saving it is the Junior Cup and opening it up to all non league teams. Preserving the cup may even be the way to keep Tom Johnston in a blazer and thus facilitate a smoother transition of the rest of the Juniors into the EoS, WoS and NoS.

Edited by ShrimpLok

17 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Agreed, if they find and can afford to develop a ground. Would save all these expensive trips to Aberdeenshire for most of their games.

Very true, travel costs are high, and will not be helped by the merging of the East & West Divisions.  Also. not helped by City's attendances , which have apparently been falling.

Is a return to North Kessock for a season or two (only) an alternative, rather than folding or going into abeyance, to enable the club to regroup ?

18 minutes ago, BENJI BOY said:

Seriously m9. Ye only need to hit the full stop key once

1 minute ago, Robert James said:

Very true, travel costs are high, and will not be helped by the merging of the East & West Divisions.  Also. not helped by City's attendances , which have apparently been falling.

Is a return to North Kessock for a season or two (only) an alternative, rather than folding or going into abeyance, to enable the club to regroup ?

Not sure what the North Caledonian League ground rules are, or what's happened to the North Kessock pitch, but I suppose it's possible. City's attendances have always been tiny, well under 100 when I've been. I fear the worst.

2 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

So it only counts if you win the Junior cup? if you don't you can't be part of your community? :blink:

You are not going to get me onto a thread to suit your purpose my man..I was asked to give my thoughts on the matter of junior v Eof S in the grand scheme of things and gave it..again.. good luck in the new adventure for these clubs. .its not for me  ..end of story.  .people of my persuasion wont be missed off the terraces.  believe me  others will take our place who have bought into of things..hopefully home and away.

5 minutes ago, ShrimpLok said:

I still come back to the fact that there is something more special about a nationwide cup, beating all comers, especially one with a history, than a purely regional cup competition. 

If there is one bit of the Juniors worth saving it is the Junior Cup and opening it up to all non league teams. Preserving the cup may even be the way to keep Tom Johnston in a blazer and thus facilitate a smoother transition of the rest of the Juniors into the EoS, WoS and NoS.

Thank you..another believer  ..that there is a community magic about winning a nationwide trophy with history.

4 minutes ago, BENJI BOY said:

Thank you..another believer  ..that there is a community magic about winning a nationwide trophy with history.

You do realise if the SJFA was integrated into the pyramid, the Junior Scottish Cup will come with them. In fact it'd be a bigger tournament as it would involve everyone outwith the SPFL.

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

You do realise if the SJFA was integrated into the pyramid, the Junior Scottish Cup will come with them. In fact it'd be a bigger tournament as it would involve everyone outwith the SPFL.

The Junior Cup needs a strong Huntly

Benji, I posed a fair question. You say the EoS cant have the same community engagement as Bonnyrigg, i was curious as to why you think that given that many of these clubs have been integral parts of their communities for a very long time, playing fitba just like Bonnyrigg, many playing in big games in the past just like Bonnyrigg.

Is it really just about winning the Junior Cup in your eyes?

Just now, FairWeatherFan said:

I will believe that when it happens..at the moment that is wishful thinking with the present acrimony that is going on and you will have some people out there saying another bloody cup.....or many others may be shelved with it taking there place..may/could happen ..hope it does.for the sake of the game as a whole.