Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

"A pyramid system can only be good and, if Inverness Caledonian Thistle and Peterhead can survive and prosper in the senior leagues, then I am confident our elite teams like Linlithgow Rose and Pollok could compete in the second or third division."  - Tom Johnston March 2005

I was looking to see who might be on the Pyramid Working Group and the first result was an article from the Herald containing the above quote http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12396614.SFA_plan_points_way_to_pyramid_system/

This March 2005 article mentions Tom Johnston & Alan McRae would be on the working group that would eventually see Junior clubs integrated into the SFA Scottish Cup in 2007-08.

Its 13 years later and these two guys are apparently still leading the discussion on an integrated pyramid. I'm sure it's all about to change any minute now :whistle

34 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It was you that made the comparison.

The comparison was made in a quote taken from the article and was used to highlight the fact TJ's has been saying the same thing for over 13 years now.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

38 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The comparison was made in a quote taken from the article and was used to highlight the fact TJ's has been saying the same thing for over 13 years now.

TJ has been saying the same thing because no club has put any pressure on him to say anything else.

13 AGM's and how many times has the subject of the pyramid come up as an item on the agenda?  None Zero Zilch.

So is that the fault of TJ or the clubs?

TJ has been saying the same thing because no club has put any pressure on him to say anything else.
13 AGM's and how many times has the subject of the pyramid come up as an item on the agenda?  None Zero Zilch.

Mibbe its the boy paid a shitload of cash and an office at Hampden but shows nae leadership. Mibbe his fault.

4 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Why - what do you think would change for Linlithgow fans if they put in a late application and played in the EoS next year?

Rose would be playing a lower standard of opposition with far fewer fans next year than this.

It might need to happen but let's not pretend the EoS isn't a long way behind the current ER Superleague.

5 hours ago, stulch said:

Yes, why?

Rose would be playing a lower standard of opposition with far fewer fans next year than this.

It might need to happen but let's not pretend the EoS isn't a long way behind the current ER Superleague.

5 hours ago, gogsy said:

Why?

the main stumbling block was and has always been the section in the pyrimid and liceining, promotion is compulsary the junior clubs,we were always told are not interested.but they are willing to be included in the scottish cup.which by the way is a members compition for members only clubs who are liceinced.and also playing in a recognised members league.just like the junior scottish cup is only played for, by clubs who are junior no other clubs take part.13 clubs in the east have resigned from the junior setup to go senior which allows them to apply for s.f.a.membership.but they in turn. will not be playing in the junior scottish cup.

7 hours ago, GordonS said:

One step back, two steps forward.

9 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Right, got you now. I blame Robert James for confusing me last night.

8 hours ago, tombrown said:

the main stumbling block was and has always been the section in the pyrimid and liceining, promotion is compulsary the junior clubs,we were always told are not interested.but they are willing to be included in the scottish cup.which by the way is a members compition for members only clubs who are liceinced.and also playing in a recognised members league.just like the junior scottish cup is only played for, by clubs who are junior no other clubs take part.13 clubs in the east have resigned from the junior setup to go senior which allows them to apply for s.f.a.membership.but they in turn. will not be playing in the junior scottish cup.

The Scottish Cup used to be for members only, but that was changed to allow junior clubs to enter.

There's no reason why the junior cup rules couldn't be changed too.

36 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

If it helps Wilson, I will take the blame for "confusing" you. Especially as it was past bedtime last night.

Though this morning,  I can't think why, as I haven't posted anything about "2 club comparisons".   Perhaps you were mixing me up with Pike, Godfrey, or Fraser ? Anyway, have a good weekend !

25 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

The Scottish Cup used to be for members only, but that was changed to allow junior clubs to enter.

There's no reason why the junior cup rules couldn't be changed too.

Yes,............but the Junior Cup rules have not been changed, and the competition remains "exclusive."

8 hours ago, GordonS said:

On current league standings you've a minimum 4 of the 16 clubs that would likely make up the ER Superleague 2018/19 opting to compete in the EoS. Comparing the current ER Superleague to next year is already flawed.

39 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

No worries.

9 hours ago, santheman said:

Both. As head of the association he has a duty of care for all the clubs. When the SJFA got 3-4 clubs in to the SFA Scottish Cup did he try to get more in due to the financial benefit it would be to his members? When licencing became a way to guarantee SFA Scottish Cup entry did he set up a working group to aid clubs gaining a licence through expertise and possible financial support? When the pyramid stipulation was added to gain a licence what action did he take? When Stewart Regan offered Tier 6 to the SJFA did he put this to a vote of his membership, do an investigation into the pros and cons so that clubs could have a considered opinion?

We know when the Lowland League was formed, the Lowland Superleague idea was floated. We know when a number of his membership started a process to leave, he jumped in and is now supposedly pushing through integration into the SFA pyramid without a real mandate from his members on what they actually want.

I would hope that when the 13 clubs joining the eosfl report back to their counterparts in the sjfa, there would be more weight behind the consensus drawn by Kelty in their first season in the eosfl regarding support, guidance and interaction from those running the eosfl. This will hopefully provide more information to clubs who felt they didn't have enough to choose to move into the pyramid. From what I know, the 13 clubs have been very impressed with the approach taken by those running the eosfl - not a mention of money amongst any feedback - mostly about how inclusive the meetings have felt and a lot regarding information sharing and a collaborative approach to running the league...... Sounds like a breath of fresh air for me. 

32 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Yes,............but the Junior Cup rules have not been changed, and the competition remains "exclusive."

Check the title of this thread.

The whole landscape of junior football is changing. Why would the cup be exempt?

9 hours ago, tombrown said:

They will not take part because they are not Junior, you have to be a Junior Club to take part what is wrong with that, the Amateur cup is not open to Junior or Senior teams.The SFA opened up the senior cup to Amateurs and Juniors and perhaps in 2/3 yrs there will be a Non League cup for all.

Your bang on there.have the junior clubs been consulted,as to what do you want.some clubs have showed they wanted. needed. A change whilst others on here have showed their happy with the Status Quo. Poster earlier was correct about the junior cup rules can be changed but no official has offered as it seems they wish a closed shop approuch.again i will state.them who wish to join a senior league can do so through the s.o.s. e.o.s.or by joining the w.o.s. league them that wish to stay junior can choose to do that.but what ever happens.for the sake of the future we all need to change our attitudes.standing still is killing us.

Glenafton93. the s.f.a opened the cup up to the juniors to try and show the benifits of a members cup for all then included the others.6 /7 junior clubs take part.league winners cup winner plus members. Changing rules is relatively easy.proposer.seconder .vote. If the senior clubs where to vote to stop the non members playing in the cup unless they were members. liecenced.and playing in a senior league.would the juniors still be looking to find which level there at.would it matter.

32 minutes ago, GLENAFTON93 said:

I have my own opinion on what I want my  club to pursue and what I would like to happen.

I am of the opinion that the Scottish Junior Cup is for Scottish Junior teams only, if a non league cup was started I don't see anything wrong with that, if  the Juniors at some time on mass join the senior ranks then retire the old cup. As far as I'm led to believe Glenafton are the last team to win this current trophy and perhaps it is now an ideal time for change .

Edited by GLENAFTON93