Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

20 minutes ago, Khufu2 said:

?????????

12 minutes ago, drs said:

Yoker play in Yoker at the ground of Yoker, you cross the road from Yoker train station and you are at the ground. Clydebank play in Yoker despite being from Clydebank ;)

Yoker is a district of Glasgow. Holm Park is in Whitecrook, Clydebank, West Dunbartonshire. 

yoker.PNG

Edited by Afrojim

Just to be clear, BSC being a community football club with 750 kids or whatever playing for them makes absolutely zero difference in terms of licencing. Every requirement in the green guide relating to youth football starts with "if the club ...". All of the statutory requirements relate to the set up for the first team. In that respect, having a team from the west of Glasgow meeting their licence criteria by playing in Alloa is a nonsense. It's hard to even begin to list what's wrong about Edusport. Folk can jump in here but can anyone think of a football team anywhere in the leagues of any country that doesn't actually identify with a specific location? We could have a premiership of made up teams I suppose where companies just turn up somewhere and use facilities - The Fairy Bio Academy of Opportunity  Team 1 playing out of somewhere in Govan seeking to attract the great unwashed with their Edinburgh franchise Team 2 using somewhere in Leith.

Edited by HTG

I've always thought of Yoker as being in Yoker - maybe we could set up a hard boundary with machine gun posts to separate Glasgow from the lesser suburb of Clydebank.

45 minutes ago, HTG said:

Folk can jump in here but can anyone think of a football team anywhere in the leagues of any country that doesn't actually identify with a specific location?

Queens Park Rangers

Queen of the South

1 minute ago, Jason King said:

I've always thought of Yoker as being in Yoker - maybe we could set up a hard boundary with machine gun posts to separate Glasgow from the lesser suburb of Clydebank.

Queens Park Rangers

Queen of the South

Albion Rovers, but their name implies that at least they are free to rove and play anywhere  they like.

11 minutes ago, Jason King said:

Queens Park Rangers

Queen of the South

Sevco :thumsup2

1 hour ago, HTG said:

Just to be clear, BSC being a community football club with 750 kids or whatever playing for them makes absolutely zero difference in terms of licencing. Every requirement in the green guide relating to youth football starts with "if the club ...". All of the statutory requirements relate to the set up for the first team.

Is this you, in a round about way, congratulating BSC Glasgow for going over and above what is technically required of them ? 

BSC have been given the SFA community development award which is a wholly different set of criteria from that of club licensing as far as i'm aware and voluntary. 

Edited by Afrojim

15 minutes ago, Jason King said:

Not since Yokxit, it is now an independent, self governing entity, you have to produce your passport to gain entry to Holm Park.

1 minute ago, Afrojim said:

Is this you, in a round about way, congratulating BSC Glasgow for going over and above what is technically required of them in gaining a license? 

BSC have been given the SFA community development award which is a wholly different set of criteria from that of club licensing as far as i'm aware. 

No. There are dozens of excellent community clubs in Scotland who don't have an SFA club licence. I'm saying that they were what they were - with their community development award - in their community.  A team founded on its community ethos but playing their licenced football matches a distance away from the very community is not something to congratulate. I'm not saying they don't fit the rules for licencing. I'm saying that making a big deal of their community credentials and then popping up 35 miles away to play their senior football is a complete contradiction. I have no problem with BSC as a football club and no problem really with clubs being transient for a period whilst their ground gets built or renovated. But I think there should be a time limit on them achieving that based on where they want the club registered in the long term. 

29 minutes ago, Jason King said:

Queens Park Rangers

Queen of the South

26 minutes ago, garrellburn said:

Albion Rovers, but their name implies that at least they are free to rove and play anywhere  they like.

I doubt QotS fans would accept that their club's name is not derived from their location. QPR had good reason to call themselves QPR back in the day and the name is clearly linked with the Queens Park area. Albion Rovers have always been a Coatbridge club and their name derives from the 2 teams within Coatbridge who came together. 

Edusport is just an abomination. If they're going to play at Annan for the rest of their days, make them put some roots down in the town and crack on. 

4 hours ago, Glenconner said:

That whole sign up, cough up and shut up gig pisses me right off. But to use the word "community" is laughable. I'd a glance at the BSC website, the catchment area seems to be anything west of Sauchiehall St to the last house in Old Kilpatrick. Maybe better to word it "sports business". The old community bit gets banded about a lot by football clubs large and small even when it's obviously nonsense. Take it sounds good on a grant application.

Btw, i'm probably one of the few non friends and family who has made the trip out to Alloa to see BSC Glasgow playing. Never at any point did i get the sense of any local community spirit. One of the local Alloa FC people there that night said he thought BSC was some sort of further education outfit when he first heard of them.

let go of your hate, it’s weighing you down. :)

1 hour ago, Afrojim said:

Yoker is a district of Glasgow. Holm Park is in Whitecrook, Clydebank, West Dunbartonshire. 

Does Holm Park actually come under Whitecrook? Never really counted anything at the other side of Glasgow Road as being part of it. The Yoker Flats were also a scheme of their own...

The boundary between Glasgow and Dunbartonshire was the Yoker burn. That is why some of the houses in streets in and around Riddon Avenue are in Clydebank and others in Glasgow. The flats opposite Holm Park are known as the Yokermill Flats. Holm Park is wholly in Clydebank. I was a cop in the division that covered Clydebank, Drumchapel and the west end of Glasgow (the old B division of Strathclyde Police). Many an argument was had about whose beat or sub division an incident had taken place.

46 minutes ago, HTG said:

I doubt QotS fans would accept that their club's name is not derived from their location. QPR had good reason to call themselves QPR back in the day and the name is clearly linked with the Queens Park area. Albion Rovers have always been a Coatbridge club and their name derives from the 2 teams within Coatbridge who came together. 

Edusport is just an abomination. If they're going to play at Annan for the rest of their days, make them put some roots down in the town and crack on. 

What about Clyde?

32 minutes ago, HTG said:

No. There are dozens of excellent community clubs in Scotland who don't have an SFA club licence. I'm saying that they were what they were - with their community development award - in their community.  A team founded on its community ethos but playing their licenced football matches a distance away from the very community is not something to congratulate. I'm not saying they don't fit the rules for licencing. I'm saying that making a big deal of their community credentials and then popping up 35 miles away to play their senior football is a complete contradiction. I have no problem with BSC as a football club and no problem really with clubs being transient for a period whilst their ground gets built or renovated. But I think there should be a time limit on them achieving that based on where they want the club registered in the long term. 

It's not ideal that they play their home games in Alloa, I don't know why they chose Alloa. My original point though was that there's no real comparison between BSC and Edusport. BSC are a club that have gradually grown over the last 14 years to meet the needs of their members within their own community but just happen to play their home games in Alloa because there isn't a suitable home ground for them in Glasgow at the moment. It does state on their website that as a sports club they hope to own and operate all their own facilities in the future which suggests playing in Alloa is a compromise for the time being. They shouldn't be considered a diddy club if they have 100's of kids participating regularly in sport.

Edusport on the other hand have no hometown, apparently no desire to have their own ground or develop a playing core/fanbase in any particular community - they can up sticks at any point and relocate and it wont make any difference to them or to the people of Annan many of whom are probably completely unaware that they are even playing there. 

The wider point I was making is that throughout Scotland there is clearly a willingness to participate in football - Inverkeithing being a great example of this. Unfortunately the facilities and a clear pathway to the top of the sport don't exist. Ideally all clubs in Scotland, regardless of current grade, would gain a license, join the pyramid and work their way towards the SFA Legacy award. It'll take a long time to achieve this but it is possible and it would change the sport and communities for the better.