Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

13 hours ago, Only an observer said:

The 15 clubs have not been named as yet but my thought process and keeping my ear to the ground as they say here is my uneducated guess.....in no particular order.....Dalkeith, Camelon,Tranent, Musselburgh,Edinburgh,Blackburn,Bathgate,Bonnyrigg,Dundonald,Dunipace, Easthouses MW, Hill o' Beath and Inverkething H Swifts......One from the following two , AM soccer or St Bernards 

Bathgate is the most questionable one on that as some seem to think it is Haddington. The other I would question somewhat is Hill of Beath. Have seen strong indications online that either officially state or heavily hint that all the others are happening one way or another, but nothing from anyone associated with them.

17 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Bathgate is the most questionable one on that as some seem to think it is Haddington. The other I would question somewhat is Hill of Beath. Have seen strong indications online that either officially state or heavily hint that all the others are happening one way or another, but nothing from anyone associated with them.

Camelon seem to be in a bit of a meltdown over their decision.  Seemingly it was made by Committee without consultation and going by social media there are a lot of unhappy people.

39 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

My error. I omitted to put Haddington on my list of probable. I think they to don't want to miss the boat if it sails but my understanding is more in that Haddington would prefer to be in the Superleague wether it be through promotion or re-organisation.

43 minutes ago, Auld Heid said:

Camelon seem to be in a bit of a meltdown over their decision.  Seemingly it was made by Committee without consultation and going by social media there are a lot of unhappy people.

Any links - I like a good meltdown from fans but cant see anything relevant on their twitter.

47 minutes ago, Auld Heid said:

A few people are coming round. A split in the boardroom I think has caused most of it. 

As much as Ian white has been great overy the years with knowledge of the junior game and a definite life saver pre social media. His article in the Falkirk herald yesterday was poor and seemed to be the old cliché of can'take go there it' a lower league lower crowds. If it had any sort of baLance to it rather than rant might seem different. He also had the presumption that SJFA areally not negotiatons with sfa. Which really doesn' t look like happening.

Reasons for staying junior is tradition and thats it. I was one of the why would we go into that but when you look into the benefits it' time to get ahead of the race. If their wasn't a block going it would be different.

53 minutes ago, Jason King said:

Any links - I like a good meltdown from fans but cant see anything relevant on their twitter.

Facebook contacts rather than twitter

43 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

A few people are coming round. A split in the boardroom I think has caused most of it. 

As much as Ian white has been great overy the years with knowledge of the junior game and a definite life saver pre social media. His article in the Falkirk herald yesterday was poor and seemed to be the old cliché of can'take go there it' a lower league lower crowds. If it had any sort of baLance to it rather than rant might seem different. He also had the presumption that SJFA areally not negotiatons with sfa. Which really doesn' t look like happening.

Reasons for staying junior is tradition and thats it. I was one of the why would we go into that but when you look into the benefits it' time to get ahead of the race. If their wasn't a block going it would be different.

Is there a clear divide based on Social and Football around the move?   Think Ian has a point that without meaningful engagement - you face the risk of creating a divide.  

Linlithgow from what I can see firmly split with the traditionalists believing  "we are juniors not seniors"  a view which is becoming entrenched due to the lack of overall engagement with members.

2 minutes ago, Auld Heid said:

Facebook contacts rather than twitter

Is there a clear divide based on Social and Football around the move?   Think Ian has a point that without meaningful engagement - you face the risk of creating a divide.  

Linlithgow from what I can see firmly split with the traditionalists believing  "we are juniors not seniors"  a view which is becoming entrenched due to the lack of overall engagement with members.

Unfortunately the people complaining about it want to stay junior. Quite a few have came round

The point I'm trying to make is that the Junior Superleague teams should be entering at LL level where they probably belong otherwise it will take far too many seasons for the top juniors to find their way to the right level.  The range of junior teams probably matches the range of the teams in the LL/EoS setup and the most appropriate way of merging them is to have proportional representation, i.e. if there were enough teams in both East of Scotland groups (juniors and below SFL2 seniors) to make, say, 4 divisions (for arguments sake a "pyramid of 1, 1 and 2) then 25% of the juniors and 25% of LL/EoS teams should be in the top division, 25% of each in the next and 50% of each in the lower level.
When the Superleagues were formed they didn't say the Lothian juniors were the superior league so the Fife and Tayside teams should all come in at the bottom and eventually find their level.

I absolutely agree with that point based on what I’ve seen of the LL so far. To me there seems little, if any increase in the standard between LL and the top Juniors. That’s just my take though and is certainly debatable.

However, I’d also be fully appreciative of any argument from LL/EOS clubs that the Juniors should be made to start at the very bottom and work their way up and/or find their level. The Juniors had their chance to embrace the pyramid many moons ago but Tom Johnstone was trapped in his wee bubble feeding off his own ego, but just because that bubble’s burst, it’d be totally unfair for any current LL/EOS clubs to lose out or be held back in some fashion just to integrate some Junior clubs that are seen as ‘bigger’ or ‘better’, which in itself is purely subjective.

I think something in between is most reasonable.  I reckon the ship has long since sailed on the idea of the Juniors merging into the Lowland League, but I think Tier 6 entry for the top clubs still makes sense.  It would be unsatisfactory for all involved if the bigger Junior clubs ended up playing at Tier 7 - the lesser EoS teams would take regular hammerings, while those Junior teams would be playing at a level well beneath themselves.

It looks as though the EoS have already agreed that the Junior sides entering this year will join on a par with other members, rather than being shoved into a lower division.  However, that will presumably not be a permanent feature - since doing so every year would be unfair to the existing members.  I could see them doing something similar on one further occasion if there was a mass influx of the biggest remaining Junior sides, but I doubt they're going to accommodate it if it's an annual trickle of two or three clubs.

Feedback i got  from both meetings was Tuesdays SJFA meet done nothing to strengthen the SJFAs case in pleasing its Member clubs while at Thursdays EOS meeting it was clear in that it provides a better run setup with a host of benefits that has been spoke about previously. They have a better relationship with the SFA, the pyramid system and licencing, SJFA had a non existent one up until 4 weeks ago.

The SJFA have had years to sort something out for its Member clubs in terms of Licencing and the pyramid. Stance was always “our clubs aren’t interested in either, we are fine how we are.”

Clubs are pi**ed off now due to a constant decline of the grade and a host of other reasons plastered almost daily on here and social media, SJFA ignored this situation last year when we left thinking we were wrong in what we were doing  (we may still be wrong, time will tell) instead of looking in the mirror, looking into improving the setup they run and trying to stop other clubs doing the same. They are now in re-active mode when pro-active was the move years ago. Last year with Kelty going it should have been a wake up call for the SJFA, they disrespected our decision publicly and out of snobbery continued to think the grade was bullet proof. It was only a matter of time before clubs looked at other avenues if they felt it bettered their club. 

You have to ask yourself why the SFA would only allow clubs part of the pyramid to be Licenced? why would they put competition winning SJFA clubs in the Scottish Cup preliminaries? Why would they have talks about removing those places only recently? The SJFA have become an irrelevance to the SFA from their own doing, in turn hurting it’s clubs. SJFA have no bargaining power due to previous actions and now that there’s a route for progressive clubs to join the pyramid in the EOS, SOS and the imminent WOS division in 19/20 that will be seen as tier 6 covering all regions, a Super Duper League (that got voted out few years back) that covers Angus to Ayrshire bolted on because it’s convenient for the SJFA is surely a non starter

Clubs who want to be progressive can move into the pyramid, those who are happy where they are can stick it out with TJ and co. If there is a merger with the SJFA and the pyramid then it will be bolting onto existing divisions. All clubs had and have a choice.

14 hours ago, gogsy said:

If any of these teams are taking 4/5/6 seasons to get promoted then it might be because they dont automatically  "belong " in a higher division

Please tell me you are taking the michael surely one individual cannot be ..............

Import the whole of the English premier into level 6 and it will take more than 6 years for them all to move up to lowland league.

56 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Fully understandable that no list was announced, given the sensitivity of this matter.

However, was the meeting productive, and was there a good attendance ?

The meeting last night was very well attended - apart from one club who couldn't make it due to another commitment.  It was a really great meeting with nothing but positive vibes coming from both the Board and the rest of the room.  The key thing for me is that the EOS board and their member clubs are so welcoming and willing to help newbies compared to the SJFA.

This is a massively exciting time for us all.

35 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I think something in between is most reasonable.  I reckon the ship has long since sailed on the idea of the Juniors merging into the Lowland League, but I think Tier 6 entry for the top clubs still makes sense.  It would be unsatisfactory for all involved if the bigger Junior clubs ended up playing at Tier 7 - the lesser EoS teams would take regular hammerings, while those Junior teams would be playing at a level well beneath themselves.

It looks as though the EoS have already agreed that the Junior sides entering this year will join on a par with other members, rather than being shoved into a lower division.  However, that will presumably not be a permanent feature - since doing so every year would be unfair to the existing members.  I could see them doing something similar on one further occasion if there was a mass influx of the biggest remaining Junior sides, but I doubt they're going to accommodate it if it's an annual trickle of two or three clubs.

It's not though. The EoS clubs are already making concessions to let this seasons incomers in at the same level, will they be happy to do again to accommodate more clubs and in addition allow them to leapfrog existing members. That would be unsatisfactory to many EoS members.  Join at the bottom as that is what a pyramid is awe aboot min!

Edited by Goalie Hamish

20 minutes ago, jaggywaggy said:

The meeting last night was very well attended - apart from one club who couldn't make it due to another commitment.  It was a really great meeting with nothing but positive vibes coming from both the Board and the rest of the room.  The key thing for me is that the EOS board and their member clubs are so welcoming and willing to help newbies compared to the SJFA.

This is a massively exciting time for us all.

Was the exact number of applicants mentioned?  I know you don't know/can't reveal the list of clubs but interesting to hear if it's definitely 15 applicants.

I guess we will find out for certain who is in on 26th April?

1 hour ago, stanley said:

Was the exact number of applicants mentioned?  I know you don't know/can't reveal the list of clubs but interesting to hear if it's definitely 15 applicants.

I guess we will find out for certain who is in on 26th April?

No- but I'd say that's the ball park figure.

4 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

with th new cover going up behind the goals.imo they did not put that up to not move.looks braw btw and good to have three sides of the park covered.