Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

7 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

On another thread it's claimed the EOSL was "rubbished". It can't be that rubbish if the winner of 2 of the last 3 East Superleagues have decided to join it as part of pursuing a licence and promotion...

You said it, they joined as they had to. The standard is awful and nobody watches it, as Kelty will soon find out.  It's a means to an end for them.

14 hours ago, garrellburn said:

Yes, TJ did mention it, the door is not closed to participation. The feeling is that it is not the time for it, he described it as a "flawed" set up several times. Many of the clubs will agree with that.

It absolutely is flawed.

However, it's upto him to help change it. He's one of the 8 men who sit on the SFA Executive Committee, alongside Regan, who run the game. Why he's there I don't know but it typifies Scottish football that he is, yet does nothing to try and help develop the Pyramid.

It's also sad that no club ever speaks out at the AGM's or monthly meetings. Nodding dogs.

Just now, gogsy said:

East of Scotland league president doesn't seem to have a problem with that,

“I’d be really surprised if we don’t get quite a few applications next year from a number of Junior clubs,” Greenhorn said. “We do appreciate that Kelty’s ambition is to play in a bigger league than the East of Scotland but they’ve been honest with us from the start and went about it the right way"

I wouldn't expect him to.  He's also one of the guys that ruined a great Junior club by taking them into that league........

1 minute ago, 8MileBU said:

Who did he ruin?

Ormiston Primrose, Scottish Junior Cup Finalists 1989, East of Scotland Cup winners 1995, left Juniors 1999 to merge with Pencaitland Amateurs in the East of Scotland League to get Scottish Cup entry, only it didn't happen.  Demerged as Ormiston FC and struggled ever since.

1 minute ago, gogsy said:

Thanks, knew they joined the juniors in the same season as Kelty Hearts. Is there a direct link to the current team from the earlier one that  played up to 1963?

They play at the same ground as far as I am aware, whether any of those who re-started the club in 1980 were involved in 1963 I don't know.  They also re-joined the same season as Blackburn United joined.

Ormiston Primrose, Scottish Junior Cup Finalists 1989, East of Scotland Cup winners 1995, left Juniors 1999 to merge with Pencaitland Amateurs in the East of Scotland League to get Scottish Cup entry, only it didn't happen.  Demerged as Ormiston FC and struggled ever since.

Ah right, never knew he was involved with them. I remember going to watch Bo'ness at Ormiston a good few times when I was a nipper.

1926-1963, 1980-1999

What happened between '63 and '80?

12 hours ago, haufdaft said:

I'd suggest that they probably aren't that interested in Scottish football.
I don't think I've ever met a Scottish football fan that didn't know who and what the Juniors are.

Exactly.

12 hours ago, haufdaft said:

I agree. As a fan of a senior team who watches Juniors too, I'd much rather see Junior teams with history and supporters in the pyramid rather than the glorified boys clubs that populate much 3/16 of the Lowland league.

FTFY but keep trying haufdaft!

14 minutes ago, Bankies Alive said:

I hear that BSC play to "crowds" of less than 20 at Alloa.

The credibility of the LL will not improve whilst clubs like BSC,Cumbernauld Colts and Edusport are in it.

The fact that Edusport are anywhere near it is a total joke.

I find your obsession with BSC funny, Infact I take great joy in the knowledge that our existence annoys you so much. 

Your first statement is wrong, but I'll let you go with what you "hear". Of course our first choice is to play in Glasgow, but the simple facts are that procuring land is not that easy in the area.

Why shouldn't new clubs be allowed to enter into things? Were Clydebank created with a ready made history? Your views reflect on a wider opinion that only long established clubs are credible. So what do New teams do, just give up and not try it. Where is the long term thinking in that?

Edited by Patches O'Houlihan

People criticise BSCG, Cumbernauld and Edusport but somewhat simplistically.

Cumbernauld are a huge long-standing youth and amateur club. They're the main tenants and users of Broadwood (which Clyde wants to leave). They've already began building up a support and are clearly a viable outfit. They've finished quite high in LL and even qualified for SPFL Challenge Cup last season... They eliminated Auchinleck Talbot from the Scottish Cup. I was at the South Challenge Cup Final last month and they brought through hundreds of fans. They're doing perfectly well.

Edusport have won their way in by promotion: they're licensed, they won SOS league, they had a right to ascend. If the Juniors were in the pyramid that may well have been different.

BSCG is harder to defend due to the ground situation, granted, playing first at Ashfield then at Maryhill and now at Alloa. (They did take Auchinleck to a Scottish Cup replay though).

FTFY but keep trying haufdaft!

Who would you say the three are?
The ones with no history or supporters our the ones with history and no supporters.

My opinion is I'd rather watch Juniors with supporters and history. What's wrong with that?

2 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

People criticise BSCG, Cumbernauld and Edusport but somewhat simplistically.

Cumbernauld are a huge long-standing youth and amateur club. They're the main tenants and users of Broadwood (which Clyde wants to leave). They've already began building up a support and are clearly a viable outfit. They've finished quite high in LL and even qualified for SPFL Challenge Cup last season... They eliminated Auchinleck Talbot from the Scottish Cup. I was at the South Challenge Cup Final last month and they brought through hundreds of fans. They're doing perfectly well.

Edusport have won their way in by promotion: they're licensed, they won SOS league, they had a right to ascend. If the Juniors were in the pyramid that may well have been different.

BSCG is harder to defend due to the ground situation, granted, playing first at Ashfield then at Maryhill and now at Alloa. (They did take Auchinleck to a Scottish Cup replay though).

We never played at Ashfield HJ.

3 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

Who would you say the three are?
The ones with no history or supporters our the ones with history and no supporters.

My opinion is I'd rather watch Juniors with supporters and history. What's wrong with that?

It's back to the chicken-n-egg again though.

If the Juniors won't join the pyramid, it's reliant on seniors + whoever is prepared to move in from other grades, and it'll be easier to "do an Edusport".