The DUP

Blootoon87

50 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Oops! She's resigned.  Looks like the big yin wasn't on her side after all. Wonder who a god will pick now? 

Edit... Announced that she is to resign, spread over May/June (?) 

She's Church of Ireland (i.e. Anglican) rather than Free Presbyterian so she probably isn't into the more cranky theological stuff. Surprised she lasted this long given the scale of the damage that Brexit has done to Unionism in a NI context and her considerable role in enabling what ultimately unfolded. Odds on the calculation is that the next leader has to be able to appeal better than she can to working class voters that are liable to swing over to TUV as things stand at the moment. Lots of political careers hinge on that so not surprising the MPs and MLAs would be so ruthless about it.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

49 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Oops! She's resigned.  Looks like the big yin wasn't on her side after all. Wonder who a god will pick now? 

Edit... Announced that she is to resign, spread over May/June (?) 

Shudders at the thought of a Readers Wifes Norn Ireland summer special issue

25 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

She's Church of Ireland (i.e. Anglican) rather than Free Presbyterian so she probably isn't into the more cranky theological stuff. Surprised she lasted this long given the scale of the damage that Brexit has done to Unionism in a NI context and her considerable role in enabling what ultimately unfolded. Odds on the calculation is that the next leader has to be able to appeal better than she can to working class voters that are liable to swing over to TUV as things stand at the moment. Lots of political careers hinge on that so not surprising the MPs and MLAs would be so ruthless about it.

Her religious leaning wasn't an invention or supposition of mine.. I quoted in an earlier post... 

From the BBC website - "Mrs Foster posted a biblical verse from the Book of Psalms on her private Facebook page on Tuesday evening: "It is God who arms me with strength and keeps my way secure".  

A bit like our dear old Queen holding office by the grace of a god.   I think it's nice that these office bearers have such supernatural support, otherwise they'd have a Hell of a time. 

If the bookies favorite Edwin Poots replaces her, you will soon be able to notice the difference on the bible thumping angle between the occasional mild mention of scripture to keep some of the punters happy and a sincere belief in batshit crazy notions like young earth creationism (around 4000 BC or so from adding up all the ages of people in the Bible from Adam onwards).

Edited by LongTimeLurker

1 hour ago, G51 said:

Peston tweeting about DUP/SF swing voters.

why do I always get worked by this c**t

In fairness, I think he's been taken out of context. He's not saying voters will switch from DUP to SF, he's saying unaligned voters might go to SF if the DUP goes heavier on the fire and brimstone.

I don't think it's a realistic idea but I could see more unionists going to Alliance.

5 minutes ago, GordonS said:

In fairness, I think he's been taken out of context. He's not saying voters will switch from DUP to SF, he's saying unaligned voters might go to SF if the DUP goes heavier on the fire and brimstone.

I don't think it's a realistic idea but I could see more unionists going to Alliance.

Look, it can't be easy, trying to run the political wing of the Old Testament - so many sinners to stone to death, such little time. 

22 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Look, it can't be easy, trying to run the political wing of the Old Testament - so many sinners to stone to death, such little time. 

I know you are basically at the wind up and you all too obviously are not a Rangers supporter but that's really not what Peter Robinson was trying to do after Ian Paisley got put out to pasture over the chuckle brothers stuff with Martin McGuiness. He moved the DUP towards the centre to try to maximize the Unionist vote against Sinn Fein. Neither Peter Robinson or Arlene Foster belong to the Free Presbyterian wing of the DUP. One had always represented the more secular urban working class (to put it euphemistically) portion of DUP support, while the other started out in the UUP. Edwin Poots genuinely would be something close to the political wing of the Old Testament. His father was a close associate of Ian Paisley back in the late1960s as a Free Presbyterian when what later became the DUP was first being launched.