The DUP

Blootoon87

7 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

What the f**k is their problem?

Is there a specific gripe?

EU deal + the fact that a big funeral an IRA member who died during the first lockdown, which leading Sinn Fein politicians went to and police decided not charge them for breaking lockdown rules + some UDA leaders got arrested for reason.

16 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

What the f**k is their problem?

Is there a specific gripe?

6 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

EU deal + the fact that a big funeral an IRA member who died during the first lockdown, which leading Sinn Fein politicians went to and police decided not charge them for breaking lockdown rules + some UDA leaders got arrested for reason.

Also I'd imagine lockdown has played a large factor. Apparantly prominent dealers in the loyalist community getting arrested has additionally fuelled things. 

Reminder that Northern Ireland went through a civil war just thirty years ago and that pretty much no-one outside of NI, the border counties and small parts of the WoS really understands the place.

This kind of thing isn't *that* unusual.

Edited by G51

17 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Wanting to condemn attempted murder, but unable to avoid making it about Sinn Fein...

Reading that. I initially saw a very mature, diplomatic response trying to calm the violence.  Then real lawbreakers part comes in...

jesus eye roll GIF by Chelsea Handler

1 hour ago, Stormzy said:

Mental how many English people with an EU flag in their bio are suddenly so hyper aware of trouble in Northern Ireland.. 

f**k off ya utter weapon.

6 minutes ago, HTG said:

f**k off ya utter weapon.

He's not wrong. Liberals haven't given a f**k about Northern Ireland since the GFA was signed and they were able to use it to portray Blair as some kind of deserving recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize. And then briefly when they thought it might scupper Brexit, before forgetting all about it once they realised it wouldn't.

Reminder that Northern Ireland went through a civil war just thirty years ago and that pretty much no-one outside of NI, the border counties and small parts of the WoS really understands the place.
This kind of thing isn't *that* unusual.
Surely you're not trying to justify this fucking nonsense?

There's no legitimate grievance here at all.

8 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Surely you're not trying to justify this fucking nonsense?

There's no legitimate grievance here at all.

No one is trying to justify violence. That is a spectacular misreading of both posts and would be a genuinely insane position for anyone to take.

It's completely relevant to point out that no one ever gives a f**k about the place unless they're using it to try and prove their own political points, and that centrists are the absolute worst for this.

As for whether you consider this a "legitimate" grievance or not, the thing about a country that is divided on religious, ethnic and political lines is that what you and I call "legitimate grievances" is completely fucking irrelevant, because small issues become big issues very quickly in a place like NI. Of course it's completely stupid to throw petrol bombs at people because of customs declarations and coronavirus regulation breaches going unpunished. But it happens in a place like that because both sides have had 400 years of legitimate grievances.

Edited by G51

8 hours ago, G51 said:

He's not wrong. Liberals haven't given a f**k about Northern Ireland since the GFA was signed and they were able to use it to portray Blair as some kind of deserving recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize. And then briefly when they thought it might scupper Brexit, before forgetting all about it once they realised it wouldn't.

I think it depends how deep the shit gets in NI if we sadly genuinely go back to the troubles Boris (unless he has sneaked away) will be under huge pressure to reverse the changes. And considering there is no way to meet his daft red lines and keep the peace then I think reversing Brexit will be on the table.

Legitimate grievances? Most of the rioters are just weans by the looks of it. They're being raised into this bitterness and egged on by reckless bigots like Arlene Foster who should fucking know better.

19 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Legitimate grievances? Most of the rioters are just weans by the looks of it. They're being raised into this bitterness and egged on by reckless bigots like Arlene Foster who should fucking know better.

All the more depressing, as the kids will have grown up with peace (or at worst relative peace). Easy to say having never lived in NI and growing up as I did unaware of the troubles but for a few IRA bombings in England, but I don't think they appreciate what they have. 

I agree Foster is awful, but I fear the problem lies a lot closer to home and upbringing than it does to the likes of her. She might embolden it, but the attitude exists.