The DUP

Blootoon87

Just now, Granny Danger said:

Some of us have been sympathising with him; I think it was the general politics thread.

I take it that is sarcasm - I'll go and have a keek.

Anyway, rumblings of discontent in the heartland of North Antrim, I heard a snippet yesterday on the radio when they were interviewing constituents, the majority were of the opinion he should resign, although most conceded the DUP would retain the seat in a by-election, although opinion was split on whether Paisley should stand as the candidate.

There is also chat that if he doesn't resign there will be a petition to recall (?) him which only requires 7,500 signatories I think, and Sinn Fein got 7,000 + votes at the last election.

But it may well all just blow over, as usual.

4 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Anyway, rumblings of discontent in the heartland of North Antrim, I heard a snippet yesterday on the radio when they were interviewing constituents, the majority were of the opinion he should resign, although most conceded the DUP would retain the seat in a by-election, although opinion was split on whether Paisley should stand as the candidate.

There is also chat that if he doesn't resign there will be a petition to recall (?) him which only requires 7,500 signatories I think, and Sinn Fein got 7,000 + votes at the last election.

Nobody cares champ.  Weirdo bigot land politics forum for this pish.

6 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I'm surprised he's not getting banged up, taking £50-100,000 in freebies to lobby May to intercede with the UN investigation into Sri Lankan human rights abuses, without declaring an interest.

Just now, welshbairn said:

I'm surprised he's not getting banged up, taking £50-100,000 in freebies to lobby May to intercede with the UN investigation into Sri Lankan human rights abuses, without declaring an interest.

Cameron, actually.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Tsk.and there he was quoting scripture as part of his speech too, ah these Christian types eh .....

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Clearly time for him to go, but the same could have been said about Arlene Foster where the handling of the cash for ash scheme was concerned.

She should also go for being such a weak leader, as should O'Neill for SF - both are incredibly poor when you compare them to McGuinness and Paisley/Robinson.

Fresh faces for both parties and try and get a new government up and running.

2 minutes ago, Kejan said:

She should also go for being such a weak leader, as should O'Neill for SF - both are incredibly poor when you compare them to McGuinness and Paisley/Robinson.

Fresh faces for both parties and try and get a new government up and running.

Neither party gives a f**k about their electorates, just obsessed with tribal shite. DUP should have campaigned against Brexit, Sinn Fein should have voted in Westminster.

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Neither party gives a f**k about their electorates, just obsessed with tribal shite. DUP should have campaigned against Brexit, Sinn Fein should have voted in Westminster.

You have to look at Sinn Fein’s raisin d’etre.  There has never been greater support in the north for a united Ireland.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

You have to look at Sinn Fein’s raisin d’etre.  There has never been greater support in the north for a united Ireland.

That was my point, they don't give a f**k about anything else. The South will never accept taking over the security costs and general pain of containing the inevitable loyalist reaction. Sinn Fein have the power to stop Brexit but won't use it cos tribal dreams.

Edited by welshbairn

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

That was my point, they don't give a f**k about anything else. The South will never accept taking over the security costs and general pain of containing an inevitable loyalist reaction. 

I reckon they would be willing to pay that price.

18 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Tbf their electorates are even more obsessed with tribal shite and sinn Fein have a very principled stance

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

That was my point, they don't give a f**k about anything else. The South will never accept taking over the security costs and general pain of containing an inevitable loyalist reaction. 

Simply not true.  There's no south, the republic would love reunification.

27 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I reckon they would be willing to pay that price.

I doubt it. They're doing too well out of American investment with dodgy tax deals to risk it with a low scale civil war.

Edited by welshbairn

57 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

That was my point, they don't give a f**k about anything else. The South will never accept taking over the security costs and general pain of containing the inevitable loyalist reaction. They have the power to stop Brexit but won't use it cos tribal dreams.

:lol:

12 minutes ago, Bandstand said:

I think a vote on reunification would be a lot closer than Sinn Fein may find comfortable 

A referendum wouldn't be a foregone conclusion

The idea of a united Ireland is similar in a sense to an independent Scotland, many like the idea of it but don't necessarily think it would work, 

I still think it'll be a long way off if ever, depending how Brexit ends up it's possible we could see a referendum at some point I suppose.