The DUP

Blootoon87

10 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Here's the new acting DUP leader, Gavin Robinson.

Portrait?cropType=FullSize

He looks like he should already be on a certain register.....

On 29/03/2024 at 13:42, welshbairn said:

Thanks for sharing that link, it made quite disgusting and I thought, disturbing reading. Despite that, giving air to the corrupt stench is a good thing. 

1 minute ago, sophia said:

Thanks for sharing that link, it made quite disgusting and I thought, disturbing reading. Despite that, giving air to the corrupt stench is a good thing. 

I've heard most of the allegations before, especially around Kincora, but I can't guarantee 100% veracity to every detail. There's a hint of possible homophobia running through the piece which suggests some caution might be wise before quoting it verbatim. There was definitely something rancidly rotten and psychotic in the failed statelet though.

On 04/02/2024 at 12:43, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

All things considered, I think Sir Jeffrey has played this very well.

Despite all the pressure from the other political parties, he stood firm and negotiated what I would say was a good deal.  It's by no means perfect, but is certainly not the disaster claimed by Bryson and Allister.  It's going to leave Unionism in a very strong position, which will increase it's support, a support which hadn't taken a seriously dent anyway.. even in spite of Brexit and all the Stormont chaos.

Any protests from the loyalist community will probably be fairly low key and fizzle away quickly.  The anger portrayed by Bryson's twitter feed just isn't there.

Electoral Unionism has three big challenges IMO:

1- To persuade the Alliance-voting Unionists to return home.

2- To have the Unionist vote coalesce round one party, rather than being so fractured. 

3- To wake up the non-voters in Unionist communities.

1 may happen quicker than you'd think.  Long is essentially pro-Union, and whenever she is replaced, it won't be by someone with the same appeal.  The Unionists who lend Alliance their vote, might not feel so comfortable if 'Shouty' Sorcha Eastwood or Stephen Farry take the reigns.

2 will be a challenge, but one that is surmountable.  Donaldson and Beattie have a close relationship so could come up with something, and it's possible that much of the TUV vote will return to the DUP anyway, as Donaldson indicates how this deal actually strengthens the Union.  Allister's mere presence in the chamber helps the DUP look moderate, which can only help them long-term.

3 could only happen with a mass campaign, which could be done with the right strategy.

Given the way some go on, you'd be forgiven for thinking that a United Ireland was just around the corner, but the reality is that it isn't.  Conditions for a border poll are nowhere near to having been met, and despite SF being the largest party, this has happened at the expense of the SDLP.  Unionism still got more seats at the last Assembly election.

P.S. Seeing Bryson giving a running commentary of the recent DUP meeting was hilarious!  I've got mixed feelings on the guy, but he certainly knows how to set the cat among the pigeons!

Does Sir Jeffrey still get to keep the knighthood if things go tits up for him?

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, The Golden God said:

TUV have said it’s not happening but this would have been hilarious. 

image.png.9a98b06b74377d2490abd0db7b1ce9f8.png
The Hustings would be some laugh

What sorta self-respecting DUPper would've been conned into buying masks during the Covid fabrication conspiracy and worse still be seen wearing one?

Any P&Bers out there still trying to squeeze extra vfm from their Covidwear?

54 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's a bit odd that he's not allowed to live in the same house as his wife, and his co-accused. I haven't heard of that before in bail conditions.

Odd.  DUP.

Are you sure you got that right?