The DUP

Blootoon87

Yeah, it's not virtue signalling, it's not their pedantry. The sources were provided, they decided to ignore them or claim they were not posted. This is simply a case of someone trying to argue the toss not realising that ignoring all the evidence to the contrary will firmly be seen as supporting those issues.

You are a little guilty of misrepresentation here. I never demanded everyone clarify their disapproval, this all came about because a poster denied the evidence placed in front of them and in that context it is entirely right to ask why they did that.

3 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Calling them dinosaurs would be an insult to the dinosaurs 

And an insult to Edwin Poots, as he clearly states the world is 'too young to have dinosaurs' despite every single shred of evidence pointing to the opposite. Whether he thinks "God" put bones in the ground for the craic, or whether they just "fell off the ark" who knows.

1 minute ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Aye, I’m not really sure that saying ‘the DUP weren’t paid a billion quid to help the Tories’ is the same as saying ‘homophobia and bigotry of all kinds is fantastic’ but whatever.

It wouldn't be, if that's what happened, you are making the same correlation as NotThePars there.

56 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

All politicians are c***s. Even the precious SNP.

No matter the colour of the tie, the motivation of every politician is the same - self-interest.

There are occasional exceptions, normally on the Left - but the so-called Left party in this country get scared when confronted with anything resembling altruism, so they don't last long. There was more decency and integrity sat behind the SNP in the HoC the other day than on the Opposition (hah!) Front Bench. 

8 minutes ago, Ric said:

It wouldn't be, if that's what happened, you are making the same correlation as NotThePars there.

Mate, I’ve read the thread. It was a load of stuff about the fact that the DUP never received the money themselves, it went to the NI executive and whether or not that still constitutes a bribe and then you hit out with…

On 22/08/2021 at 10:29, Ric said:

It's also notable that some posters will come to the defence of a party whose key politicians in no short measure...

* Deny evolution

* Deny climate change

* Are bigots and racists

* Are religious zealots

* Homo and transphobic.

The very fact that you would defend the "good nature" of a party containing prominent politicians who are considerably not of good nature, said an absolute shitload about both of you. Without going all Poe's Law, I fully expect you to state that Albert Speer was just a good architect and nothing more.

Which is completely irrelevant to whether or not they got a bribe. It’s like if I said that the Orange Order weren’t responsible for the 2007 financial crisis, that’s not me defending their other atrocious qualities.

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

2 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Which is completely irrelevant to whether or not they got a bribe. It’s like if I said that the Orange Order weren’t responsible for the 2007 financial crisis, that’s not me defending their other atrocious qualities.

It's not irrelevant, it's a bit "baity" but it's definitely not irrelevant.

However, seeing as we are now in the "DUP absolute scum" thread, I'd wager it's even more relevant to highlight the words of DUP politicians.

2 hours ago, Ric said:

Mason? Yeah, he's an idiot. I have no problems calling out people for really stupid things, regardless of political allegiance. He claimed creationism couldn't be disproved, despite it very easily being disproved, and he was very clearly wrong with this religious bullshittery regarding homosexuality.

He shouldn't be allowed to stand for office, imo, and while it's disappointing he is, he's a fairly singular voice in a party whereas the DUP has a litany of people singing from the same deluded hymn sheet.

You're on a very slippery slope if you decide to ban people from standing for office on the basis of their genuinely held, if misguided and entirely stupid, beliefs. It's fine to say that the SNP shouldn't still be putting him forward to contest seats, but to say he can't stand for office at all is totally different.

As soon as you do that, you have to come up with a list of things which you think should prevent people from standing for election, and you immediately end up tying yourself in knots.

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

You're on a very slippery slope if you decide to ban people from standing for office on the basis of their genuinely held, if misguided and entirely stupid, beliefs. It's fine to say that the SNP shouldn't still be putting him forward to contest seats, but to say he can't stand for office at all is totally different.

As soon as you do that, you have to come up with a list of things which you think should prevent people from standing for election, and you immediately end up tying yourself in knots.

100% correct.

3 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

All politicians are c***s. Even the precious SNP.

No matter the colour of the tie, the motivation of every politician is the same - self-interest.

I know politicians from four different parties in real life and that's not at all true. It's not even typical. I know two Tory councillors, one is in it for the status but the other is undoubtedly well-meaning and well-intentioned. I think he's a bit of a simpleton but he's definitely not doing it out of self-interest and I've known him to be really helpful on a few things.

In my experience politicians are less likely to be arseholes than the average punter.

Except the DUP, obviously.

3 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Lets face it 99.9999% of humans are fucking arseholes. 

You may want to rethink that. By my (poor) maths, that implies there are around 7,000 non-arseholes. Where are they all?