The DUP

Blootoon87

34 minutes ago, Ric said:

Seeing as some pretty basic trolls were ruining another thread by there constant bleating that the DUP are really "just good guys", only misunderstood, and that they in no way hold hateful, bigoted or misogynistic views, so here's a thread for them to wallow in their naivety and ignorance.

16 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Don’t disagree with any of that.  However I must point out that the SNP, of which I’m a member, has a young earther MSP and has homophobes who also hold elected office.

Mason? Yeah, he's an idiot. I have no problems calling out people for really stupid things, regardless of political allegiance. He claimed creationism couldn't be disproved, despite it very easily being disproved, and he was very clearly wrong with this religious bullshittery regarding homosexuality.

He shouldn't be allowed to stand for office, imo, and while it's disappointing he is, he's a fairly singular voice in a party whereas the DUP has a litany of people singing from the same deluded hymn sheet.

Edited by Ric

21 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Don’t disagree with any of that.  However I must point out that the SNP, of which I’m a member, has a young earther MSP and has homophobes who also hold elected office.

All politicians are c***s. Even the precious SNP.

No matter the colour of the tie, the motivation of every politician is the same - self-interest.

14 minutes ago, Ric said:

@strichener come on down...

I'm sorry if I'm missing something blindingly obvious but where has he done that? I get he loves pedantry and the like but attempting to provide clarification or context for a claim (even if he's wrong) doesn't come close to calling someone good guys. Have I missed a post somewhere else?

1 minute ago, NotThePars said:

I'm sorry if I'm missing something blindingly obvious but where has he done that? I get he loves pedantry and the like but attempting to provide clarification or context for a claim (even if he's wrong) doesn't come close to calling someone good guys. Have I missed a post somewhere else?

I provided clarity and context, they refused to either accept the verbatim sources or simply denied they were even posted.

The logical conclusion is that they think they "are just swell". If I am wrong and they have no reason to defend the DUP, then I'm sure their comments will be a delight.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

I provided clarity and context, they refused to either accept the verbatim sources or simply denied they were even posted.

The logical conclusion is that they think they "are just swell". If I am wrong and they have no reason to defend the DUP, then I'm sure their comments will be a delight.

That isn't the logical conclusion whatsoever if you have more than one conversation with strichener. The guy loves pedantry.

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

Mason? Yeah, he's an idiot. I have no problems calling out people for really stupid things, regardless of political allegiance. He claimed creationism couldn't be disproved, despite it very easily being disproved, and he was very clearly wrong with this religious bullshittery regarding homosexuality.

He shouldn't be allowed to stand for office, imo, and while it's disappointing he is, he's a fairly singular voice in a party whereas the DUP has a litany of people singing from the same deluded hymn sheet.

That has to be the most idiotic line of thought going. Nobody can disprove that there are interdimensional demons forcing me to sit on my arse doing nothing today, but in the absence of evidence, it's probably fair to assume I'm just a lazy c**t.

Just now, NotThePars said:

That isn't the logical conclusion whatsoever if you have more than one conversation with strichener. The guy loves pedantry.

Not a logical conclusion for you perhaps, others may disagree.

The poster may love pedantry, but from comments it seems they are happy with bigotry, hatred, religious pseudo science, xenophobia and homophobia. I'm sure if that isn't the case they will happily refute such claims, and in the process castigating DUP representatives from holding them.

Just now, Ric said:

Not a logical conclusion for you perhaps, others may disagree.

The poster may love pedantry, but from comments it seems they are happy with bigotry, hatred, religious pseudo science, xenophobia and homophobia. I'm sure if that isn't the case they will happily refute such claims, and in the process castigating DUP representatives from holding them.

If anyone asks what actually constitutes virtue signalling in future I'm just gonna point to this post. 

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

That has to be the most idiotic line of thought going. Nobody can disprove that there are interdimensional demons forcing me to sit on my arse doing nothing today, but in the absence of evidence, it's probably fair to assume I'm just a lazy c**t.

So here's the thing, before 10-39 seconds after the big bang happened we simply don't know what happened. It's also a touch sketchy in regard from 10-39 to 10-32, although we use inflation theory to patch that up. I am an atheist, I find it crazy to think that there is some sort of ethereal entity out there creating and controlling the universe. It's literally the craziest theory out there, and one without a single shred of evidence.

However, as science cannot answer the pre 10-39 second mark, then as someone being objective I have to allow the theory there is some sort of creator. It's not that I in any way support such a claim, but in the pantheon of creation myths it's just one of a very long line. It shouldn't be given any more credence than some indigenous story about how the universe was born from a turtle or great bird or whatever.

The "point of creation" is the only place that objectivity, no matter how crazy, allows an ethereal creator. I am not happy about it, but it's one of those questions that will remain unanswerable. That means you get all sorts of lunatics jumping into that gap.

So in that sense the disprovable is a stupid answer, as we can't prove or disprove anything in those time ranges, but we also all know they those using such a rhetoric are not doing so objectively, they are doing the classic religious thing "see a thing, claim it's religious" which leaves the god botherers in a really tight spot when science definitely proves it's not in any way religious. The creationist theory is a perfect example, it worked when people were in mud huts and knew shit, now they are scrambling to fit in whatever narrative they are claiming into the evidence found. It's also why any serious modern theologist accepts things like the Old Testament as allegorical and not fact based.

14 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

If anyone asks what actually constitutes virtue signalling in future I'm just gonna point to this post. 

Pointing out someone defending the actions of a hateful people is likely to support those views is hardly a stretch. If you feel the need to dismiss it as "virtue signalling" then feel free, you'll only look silly doing so.

3 minutes ago, SANTAN said:

This is the blandest heads gone I've had the misfortune of reading. 

Well the obvious answer is don't read it. Trust me, you add nothing to the debate other than your desperate red dotting, a thing you complained others doing. Stormzy, contradicting themselves? Surely not...

Just now, Ric said:

Pointing out someone defending the actions of a hateful people is likely to support those views is hardly a stretch. If you feel the need to dismiss it as "virtue signalling" then feel free, you'll only look silly doing so.

Well the obvious answer is don't read it. Trust me, you add nothing to the debate other than your desperate red dotting, a thing you complained others doing. Stormzy, contradicting themselves? Surely not...

"The debate"

Enjoy your day pal 😂

36 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

All politicians are c***s. Even the precious SNP.

No matter the colour of the tie, the motivation of every politician is the same - self-interest.

You should become a politician.  You obviously have the qualifications.

1 minute ago, SANTAN said:

"The debate"

Enjoy your day pal 😂

...he says, wiping the tears from his eyes. "One more red dot, that'll show him", he mutters under his breath.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, now.

Just now, Ric said:

...he says, wiping the tears from his eyes. "One more red dot, that'll show him", he mutters under his breath.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, now.

^^

11:14 on a Monday morning

Edited by SANTAN

Just now, Ric said:

When you're demanding performative denunciations every time someone disagrees with you on a matter unrelated to their abhorrent views then it's absolutely easy to dismiss as virtue signalling. As a queer fella myself I can correctly view the DUP as abhorrent bigots without demanding everyone clarify their disapproval before having a discussion about what to call the money they were given/ secured from Theresa May.

What it reads like on the other thread is you struggling to counter his point (which is fair because it is annoying pedantry) and just defaulting to the easiest gotcha there is. Which is fine I suppose, it's not like you should have to work hard on arguing about nonsense on here.