The DUP

Blootoon87

24 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

To have one leader resign could be considered unfortunate.

To have two resign smacks of carelessness.

I don't think they would've let Oscar in the DUP.

5 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The DUP don't mess about once a leader is viewed as a liability. The bizarre part of all of this is that the next leader is probably stuck with Poots's protege as first minister.

According to the BBC Givan only had the support of 4 out of 28 of the party's MLAs, so who knows?

I suspect Poots was hoping that givan (sic) the circumstances he could bounce the party into backing his decision, the DUP are in a very weak position now and I suspect will do anything to avoid going to the polls in the near future.

9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Are the DUP against the Irish language act on the grounds that no bugger speaks Irish in the North or is it general staunchness against the Shinners?

Plenty of people speak Irish in Donegal, so it wouldn't be that.

The last L1 Gaelic speaker from NI died on Rathlin Island in 1985 so it's more like catering to Cornish language revivalist hobbyists than something that genuinely merits billingualism like Welsh in the northwest of Wales or Gaelic in the Western Isles. SF politicians from NI can usually only utter a few garbled token phrases (Gregory Campbell parodied this with his curry my yoghurt patter) and mainly push it to get it right up the other lot because they know RoI style billingualism becoming a requirement in the labour market is one of Ulster Unionism's biggest fears about UI.

21 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Your last point is probably what keeps Givan in the job IMO. If the new leader moves against him there would probably need to be an election they are clearly not ready for.

It appears not and that Sir Jeffrey Donaldson wants to lead the DUP from Stormont...

16 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Interesting times ahead if that leads to an early election.

I could see the logic you expressed in your previous post that the DUP would've been best suited to "suck it up" and put on a show of, erm, unity.

It just seems to me that compromise isn't their strong suit and like their founder their favourite word is "NO"!

Bit of trivia from the Beeb, Poots & Donaldson share an office in Lisburn - awkward...

Edited by btb

1 hour ago, btb said:

I could see the logic you expressed in your previous post that the DUP would've been best suited to "suck it up" and put on a show of, erm, unity.

It just seems to me that compromise isn't their strong suit and like their founder their favourite word is "NO"!

Bit of trivia from the Beeb, Poots & Donaldson share an office in Lisburn - awkward...

I doubt they're in the same room. It'll hardly been any more awkward than the last 3 weeks when Poots was leader after defeating Donaldson in the leadership contest. Anyway, if they are anything like the McCreas when William was an MP and Ian an MLA, they won't actually be in the office that much, leaving most of the day to day stuff to secretaries and councillors.

Maybe they think they are better off fighting an early election with Jeffrey Donaldson as leader before an Irish language bill gets legislated and the Brexit Protocol gets implemented in full. High risk but if they pound home the danger of SF getting the first minister post maybe they can squeeze TUV back below the quota again everywhere except North Antrim.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Maybe they think they are better off fighting an early election with Jeffrey Donaldson as leader before an Irish language bill gets legislated and the Brexit Protocol gets implemented in full. High risk but if they pound home the danger of SF getting the first minister post maybe they can squeeze TUV back below the quota again everywhere except North Antrim.

Very high risk strategy, imho. 

Maybe Jeffrey will be able to get the party onside re Irish Language Act erm Cultural Act and then get his own man nominated as FM.

Then again the whole thing might collapse - and a lot of unionists would maybe approve, although the DUP would be castigated by the media, (but what's new there), unlike Sinn Fein, who got rewarded for their previous blackmail(s).

Attitudes among unionists range from apathy to stick your language act where the sun don't shine, and trying to scare us with a shinner as FM may not work this time round.

Edited by Jacksgranda
sllepnig

• 2 weeks later...